|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> buy a cmaping tent or a hammock

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
zack0109

Newport dunes

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 07:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

im planning a camping in April.and now shopping gear.
advantages of hammocks searched online:
1.cost less
2.are smaller
3.more light weight
4.quicker to set up camp and disassemble afterwards
5.more comfortable than sleeping on the ground
6.keep you away from slugs,snails and vermin
7.easier to find a campsite as you can sleep above rocks and uneven ground

my question is:is hammock really amazing as above?

Into the wild.Pop Up CanopyPop Up Canopy

PapPappy

Wilmington, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/29/12 07:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not really, if it's raining
Or there are "no see'ums" that will eat you alive.

A nice ground pad will keep you comfortable, and you don't have to worry about finding two trees that are the right distance apart.

Hammocks are also not quite as comfortable as you think, when you are trying to sleep in them.....great for relaxing, but sleeping when you really want to get some sleep....well, it's not quite Gilligan's Island.......

Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008 FMCA# F407293
The Pets

wbrown62

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 08:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hammocks ARE comfortable. You CAN stay dry as a bone in a hammock even in a downpour and no-see-ums will be no bother in a hammock with mesh. Here is a prime example. Hennessy hammock

Of course, they are not for everyone.

2011 Keystone Bullet 246RBS
2000 Chevrolet Silverado

Eyegor

NY

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 08:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hammocks are truly one of those things you have to actually try. Some people will love them, some will hate them. In my experience, there is very few people in the middle. For me, I've been sleeping on the ground for so long that relearning how to pitch camp isn't for me. If it is raining, or windy, or cold then hammocks are miserable. Plus, by the time you add tarps, underquilts, etc. the weight difference is often negligble. As you can see, they aren't my cup of tea. I have friends however who love them and will never go back.

OTOH, there is a type of hammock I like. A good use I've found for those cheap pocket net hammocks is for adding sleeping to cabins or lean-tos on the trail. And for lounging around the campfire.

87 Mallard Sprinter 24' Class C Ford E350 w/460 gas "The Runny Duck"
Shiny side up, Rubber side down.

wbrown62

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/12 08:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are lovers and haters with really no in between as stated by Eyegor. Hammocks are cold without the proper add-ons. True camping hammocks are light weight. Mine weighs only 1 pound 15 ounces and that is WITH a tarp. It will keep me bone dry in a downpour and will keep out the no-see-ums. Does not keep me warm so much. It is OK to no less than 45 degrees for me without the additional add-ons one can make or purchase online. I find the hammock MUCH more comfy than a tent. Just this past weekend I backpacked and used my very high quality tent, pad and bag in 30 degree temps. I was warm, but not too comfy. I just have a difficult time on the ground. Some might say sleeping is difficult in hammock and I would agree with a traditional hammock for the most part. A Hennessy is cut on a bias, so one actually sleeps across the cut of the material at an angle while still being in line with the center of the hammock. This reduces the sag experienced in traditional hammocks. I can also pitch my hammock on the ground using 2 trekking poles with only 2 short lines on each pole and still have the protection of the tarp. At any rate, not for everybody, but I love mine. There will always be nay-sayers that have never tried a true, high quality camping hammock and base their experience solely on traditional hammocks which are NOT made for camping. Below is a picture of a hammock identical to mine.

* This post was edited 03/02/12 09:44pm by wbrown62 *

zack0109

Newport dunes

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/12 10:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thanks for ur advices.hiking is a process to find beautiful scene and different ways to live.i think i would hike hammock to see if it is my way.
thank u again and wish u have funny time outdoors.

* This post was edited 03/14/12 01:34am by zack0109 *

Eyegor

NY

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/12 05:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Brassica wrote:

A hammock would make sense if you were backpacking or bicycle touring and needed to save weight. Plus, you are going to have to accept the compromises listed above and find two trees. The trees requirement excludes hammock camping in the desert, grasslands, or alpine country above the tree line.

While I am also a ground hugger, I've met guys who were so into their hammocks that they would pitch them with two hiking poles and many guy lines. Looked like a lot of work to me, but again these guys were making fun of my definitely old school A-frame Timberline. I agree that a good hammock can keep you dry and the right gear can keep you warm. They just aren't for me.

Brassica

Snow belt

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/12 12:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A hammock would make sense if you were backpacking or bicycle touring and needed to save weight. Plus, you are going to have to accept the compromises listed above and find two trees. The trees requirement excludes hammock camping in the desert, grasslands, or alpine country above the tree line.

crosscheck

Coldstream, BC

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/12 10:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have already replied on this topic so feel free to read my posts.

I will add one more thing however. Someone mentioned that it all comes down to preference.

Preference is when you have to decide which truck to choose to pull your 36' 5er, Ford, GM, Dodge.

When you have only a Suburban or truck to choose from to pull this same 5er, then it is not a preference.

Too many times when camping, I personally would not have been able to use a hammock but have always been able to set up a small back pack tent.

At times that has been the difference between having a miserable or great back country trip.

Dave

2006 F350 Diesel 4X4 CC SRW, Michelin XDS-2 19.5's, Vision Wheels
2011 Outfitter 9.5 Extended Cabover
Some Of Our Fun:http://daveincoldstream.blogspot.ca/

4*phun*2

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/12 04:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hammocks are cold. You compress the sleeping bag and you are exposed to the outside air temperature. A foam mat on the found is warmer.

Glenn & Karen
'08 Chevy LT 3500 HD 4x4 CC LB DRW (nice hips)
'06 F350 4X4 Lariat CC LB DRW (nice hips) retired
'09 Victory Lane 38SRV Toy Hauler
'02 HD Road King FLHRCI KRUZN
'04 F150 XLT Super Crew
Our Toys

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> buy a cmaping tent or a hammock
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts