|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 2 stroke oil in diesel

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Next
Sponsored By:
Bishops

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 09:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have done much reading on adding 2 stroke oil in diesel to make up for the ultra low sulfur fuel. I decide i would give it a shot and WOW, my 03 7.3 psd is running quieter and getting 2 more mpg. the mix ratio I decided to go with ended up being 1qt to a tank of fuel. I plan on trying it in my next tank also. A friend of mine which has a cummins has been doing this for some time and has had no problems. Has anyone else tried this?

romore

Surrey BC

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 09:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I fail to see the connection with the sulfur content.

Lad79der

Bucks County, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/29/12 09:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It helps to lube up your fuel system...

I wouldnt use 2 cycle in a newer common rail setup... high pressure injectors will get beat up. Older motors can run on almost anything, but the newer motors need good fuel to run.

I run Stanadyne Performance fluid with each tank through my truck and it has similar results as listed above... quieter motor and better mpg.

2007 Ram 2500 5.9HO Cummins 4x4 Quad Cab 6spd Manual
2007 Cherokee Lite 28A+ TT

Lessmore

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 09:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Two stroke oil is designed for 2 stroke engines and no other type of engine. A 7.3 IH/Ford diesel is a 4 stroke.

I wouldn't use 2 stroke oil in a 4 stroke engine. But that's just me.

Bishops

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 09:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From what I have read the ultra low sulfur has less lubricant for the pre 07 diesels. It is worth reading up on in my opinoin.

Lad79der

Bucks County, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/29/12 09:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

do the reading... but 2 stroke in your motor wont hurt it... the newer motors it wont be good.

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 09:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lessmore wrote:

Two stroke oil is designed for 2 stroke engines and no other type of engine. A 7.3 IH/Ford diesel is a 4 stroke.

I wouldn't use 2 stroke oil in a 4 stroke engine. But that's just me.

True but you are not putting it into the crank case but the fuel tank.

We have a 1976 265 MF diesel tractor with less than 1300 hours on it that hammered like crazy (injector pump) until I started adding 1 oz per gallon of diesel of Walmart TCW3 oil to the fuel tank. It makes it light blue in color.I must have read about 40 hours worth of research on the subject before I felt it was a risk free option.

Some run at 500:1 ratio in gas engines for in-tank fuel pump lube and perhaps some rust control. Some claim better MPG but the informal research on that use of TCW3 did not really support a improvement in MPG but a few are certain it helped and some said it hurt MPH. I have used it in the MH especially over the winter. All I can say it did not seem to hurt anything.

* This post was edited 02/29/12 09:38pm by Gale Hawkins *

The Mad Norsky

Yankton, South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 09:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

romore wrote:

I fail to see the connection with the sulfur content.

Sulfur is one of the contents that actually assisted in lubrication. When they moved to ultra low sulfur diesel fuel, well that lubricity was removed from the fuel.

As a result, diesel fuel now is sometimes very dry and does not lube the pump and other parts as it should. It is that very dry fuel which is one of the suspected culprits in the high pressure fuel pump failures now being experienced by VW, Ford and GM which are running a CP 4 series Bosch pump.

The 2 stroke oil works in older diesels, but cannot be used in any of the 2007 or newer motors (someone please correct if I have the year wrong here, I know there is a date point at which due to mechanical issues, the 2 stroke oil should not be used.)

The Diesel Place.com site did a study of the various diesel fuel additives meant to add lubricity to diesel fuel. Result are found here.

The study was done a few years back now, but is still relevant. The 2 stroke oil was #7 in effectiveness in their list of additives tested.

The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2003 Hitchhiker Discover America Quad Slide
2008 SnowRiver 10-8 D/S Torklift, FastGuns, StableLoads
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

Fishinghat

Western Washington, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 09:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think the reference to the difference between two stroke and four stroke diesel technology isn't relevant to adding the oil to diesel fuel. Two stroke oil was designed to be added to the fuel for two stroke GAS engines that don't have a circulating lubricating oil system. As I understand it, two stroke oil doesn't contain the detergent added to regular lubricating oils.

Getting back to the question of adding the oil to diesel fuel to improve performance is still a question I'd like answered. Do the older diesels benefit from oil added to their fuel?

I just saw the post by Mad Norsky. Thanks.

Holiday Rambler Navigator DP, Hummer, and Honda VT1100C Shadow

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 10:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think it depends on the injector pump types too. On the four cylinder 1983 John Deere the use of TCW3 does not change the noise level that I can tell but it does on the 1976 MF. Both are 60 HP engines.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 2 stroke oil in diesel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS