|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 2 stroke oil in diesel

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ArcticDodge

Sammamish, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/12 12:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I get the same MPG now as I got pre ULSD. I don't recall ever hearing any MPG decrease reports following the introduction of ULSD. How in the H E double hockey sticks does 1 quart of anything dilluted into 30 gallons of fuel magically make 2 additional MPG's? IMHO --- I call Barbara Streisand -- Extra lubrication? What the heck does diesel fuel lubricate?? Fuel is pumped, pressurized, and sprayed above all the rotating friction inducing components. It "lubricates" NOTHING that would improve MPG's! A well lubricated fuel system can not improve MPG's

* This post was edited 03/01/12 12:58am by ArcticDodge *

2009 Komfort 256TS
2001 Dodge Ram 3500 QC 4x4 Cummins DRW
2005 Dodge Durango Limited AWD HEMI
2006 Dodge Charger R/T HEMI
2001 Sebring Convertible
1995 Miata M-Edition
1 Wife 2 Boys UW & Bellevue College
1 Trixie (Bichon Frise)
Only 21 years to retirement!!!!

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/12 01:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ArcticDodge wrote:

I get the same MPG now as I got pre ULSD. I don't recall ever hearing any MPG decrease reports following the introduction of ULSD. How in the H E double hockey sticks does 1 quart of anything dilluted into 30 gallons of fuel magically make 2 additional MPG's? IMHO --- I call Barbara Streisand -- Extra lubrication? What the heck does diesel fuel lubricate?? Fuel is pumped, pressurized, and sprayed above all the rotating friction inducing components. It "lubricates" NOTHING that would improve MPG's! A well lubricated fuel system can not improve MPG's

I am guessing the injector pump requires over 1.5 HP to drive on most any diesel engine. If you cut the friction by a fraction MPG could improve by a fraction due to less friction perhaps?

To expect any real increase in HP/MPG might be better realized if one also beleives in the Easter Bunny.

I just use the WM TCW3 to keep down injector pump noise. I think moving to T6 Rotella Synthetic helped with engine noise as well.

All noted improvements were subjective in nature since no noise level measurements were made before or after and lubication changes.

joendeb92

Central Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/12 02:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Recently had glow plug work done to my 7.3 by a middle aged diesel mechanic, who has found problems with diesels others and computers couldn't(got the gift) anyway he adds to his truck each month 1 can 2 cycle oil, 1 can of seafoam,and 1 bottle of lucas products for lubrication.The issue these days is not so much water in the fuel but the quality of fuel and it don't matter who the supplier is. We have found that fuel filters must be changed twice as often as 5-10 years ago. Maybe the quality of the fuel is the reason the MPG is lower. Can't understand it price goes up and quality goes down.

Another thing just had my 6.0 work truck serviced, have used Rotella since new. Ford recently sent out a TIA that only some kind of purple full synthetic oil should be used. Might want to check on this.

Wills250psd

walnutcove NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/12 04:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

marvel mystery oil in the fuel is what I use for old diesels

jetenbu

Southeast Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/12 05:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been using the Marvel Mystery Oil (which is rated # 17) but based upon the ratings, I am going to switch to the Super Tech Outboard 2-cycle TC-W3 oil (which is rated # 7) for the added lubrication and cheaper price per tank. Thanks for the information. I already use Rotella so the fuel additive is all I need to change. Excellent post and discussion(s).

Jim

RV: 2012 Montana 3625RE Quad Slide SKP#108921
TV: 2004.5 Dodge Dually 3500 HD
Favorite Quote: ''Life's tough, pilgrim, and it's even tougher if you're stupid.''-- John Wayne

Warning: THIS RIG PROTECTED BY SMITH AND WESSON!

U.S. Navy Vietnam Vet 1967-1968

JPhelps

SE of Monkeys Eyebrow & Possum Trot

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/12 06:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In years past, before the tough emission regulations went into effect, Cummins had an option on some of their OTR diesels that would slowly inject lubricating oil from the crankcase into the diesel injection system. Been a long time ago but I think it was to extend the oil change interval because, the dirty oil would be replaced with clean oil slowly by replenishing oil in the crankcase. So adding oil to the fuel is fine in the older diesels. The reason for two stroke oil is because it is formulated to be diluted and still retain lubricity, and that is proven to work when diluted with diesel by testing. Another reason for two stroke oil is because it is low ash or ashless which doesn't cause abrasives when it is burnt in the combustion process. Older injection pumps were designed for the extras lubrication properties inherent in pre ultra low sulphur fuel and need some help in staying lubricated. I don't know that it helps for sure, but I use it in my VP44 pump Dodge.

NewsW

US

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/12 06:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Mad Norsky wrote:

The 2 stroke oil works in older diesels, but cannot be used in any of the 2007 or newer motors (someone please correct if I have the year wrong here, I know there is a date point at which due to mechanical issues, the 2 stroke oil should not be used.)

The Diesel Place.com site did a study of the various diesel fuel additives meant to add lubricity to diesel fuel. Result are found here.

The study was done a few years back now, but is still relevant. The 2 stroke oil was #7 in effectiveness in their list of additives tested.

The known incompatibility based on established science is Bosch CP 4 series of pumps, which started in the Ford 6.7 and GM Duramax in the last year.

Whether the CP3 pump, with its lower pressures is an issue is not known.

I would not put much weight on that study, which is first, old, and second, used a simplified version of the testing regime specified in ASTM D975 --- which was so concerned with the validity of their tests that they flagged it in the document.

We know very little about what happens to diesel fuel additives at the temperature / pressure they are now experiencing in the field except to know that the standard test temperatures are just nowhere close.

One would have to be extremely risk loving to put 2 stroke oil in their post 2003 model year engine.

Buy a reputable brand of lubricity improvers (eg sold by Ford, GM, and certified for their engines), if you are so inclined.

The days of snake oil cures are over....

Except in Forums that promote it.

NewsW

US

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/12 06:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Scientific evidence of common lubricating oil additives being reactive with modern Diamond Like Carbon coatings used in high pressure fuel injection pumps like the Bosch CP 4 is found here:

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/25794401.cfm

thomasmnile

Deltona, Fl.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/12 07:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For clarity, this from Wikipedia:

Quote:

High levels of sulfur in diesel are harmful for the environment because they prevent the use of catalytic diesel particulate filters to control diesel particulate emissions, as well as more advanced technologies, such as nitrogen oxide (NOx) adsorbers (still under development), to reduce emissions. Moreover, sulfur in the fuel is oxidized during combustion, producing sulfur dioxide and sulfur trioxide, that in presence of water rapidly convert to sulfuric acid, one of the chemical processes that results in acid rain. However, the process for lowering sulfur also reduces the lubricity of the fuel, meaning that additives must be put into the fuel to help lubricate engines. Biodiesel and biodiesel/petrodiesel blends, with their higher lubricity levels, are increasingly being utilized as an alternative.

The refining process, not the sulfur content, is the reason for decreased fuel lubricity.

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/12 07:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sulfur is not a lubricant.

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Toad 1: '06 PT Cruiser, Kar Kaddy dolly
Toy (and Toad 2): 2001 Dodge QC SWB, 360 Magnum, Auto, 4X4
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10