|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Good Sam Roadside Assistance

Open Roads Forum  >  Good Sam Roadside Assistance

> Emergency Tow truck options with 5th wheel

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
restlesswind

Fulltime

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/12 04:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When the water pump on my TV quit,Good Sam sent 2 trucks out.One to carry my pick up and a "big rig" to tow the 5th wheel.About a 30 mile tow to a Dodge dealer,the semi driver hung around until he was sure that we had a place to park the trailer,(in the used car lot of the dealer)Gave a handshake and "happy to be of service" and left.I did need to clean up the Teflon hitch plate from his hitch.But we were happy campers,there in the used car lot for the night.

'04 33.5 CKQG Hitchhiker Discover America
04.5 Dodge 3500 CTD SRW
Pac Brake,Max Brake
Fulltimers since '06

Mile High

CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/12 04:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bpounds wrote:

Mile High wrote:

AAA RV++ is fine, as long as you ONLY have an RV! They won't cover any other type of trailer including a boat, motorcycles, ATVs, jetskis, or even manure. They left my boat on the road last time I needed them so I dropped them like a rock and went with Allstate RV.

Not really true. They will pull other trailers. But, the problem is that the provider may not want to, or be equipped to, pull anything you have. Including an RV.
Its absolutely true - I'm not just guessing - I got the policy shoved in my face. Read yours.

Plus RV / Motorcycle - legally registered motor homes, pickup trucks with campers, travel trailers and motorcycles. Vehicles must be able to be safely accessed from a normally traveled road or an established thoroughfare, such as a county-maintained road.
"Non trailers such as utility, animal, watercraft, motorcycle, lawn equipment, ATV, and automobile trailers are not covered. ."

"By the time a man asks for advise he usually has already made up his mind and is looking for confirmation more than opinion" -Sidney Harris

bpounds

Senile, er I mean

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/12 05:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mile High wrote:

Its absolutely true - I'm not just guessing - I got the policy shoved in my face. Read yours.

Boats or any other type of trailered vehicle for purposes other than camping are EXCLUDED.

I'm sure you are right, and I shouldn't have made that blanket statement. Apparently it varies by state. They were even willing to pull a utility trailer for me here in CA.

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

smkettner

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/12 05:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just carry cash. In 15 years of RVing I am out $85 so far. (knocks on wood)

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675 watts solar
Send a PM if I missed something

Mile High

CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/12 05:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

smkettner wrote:

I just carry cash. In 15 years of RVing I am out $85 so far. (knocks on wood)
Something to be said for that!

As I reflect, my road service membership actually goes against my better judgement for cost effectiveness - just like extended warranties. I've just always had a membership.

NC Hauler

Asheville NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/12 06:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

...It's like a lot of things....take life insurance for instance, your betting the company your going to die by a certain policy time frame and they're betting your don't. Doggoned if you do, doggoned if you don't.....

Jim & Kathy
2013 Dodge 3500DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin tranny/4:10/Cummins: 385HP/850TQ
06 HR Presidential Suite 37RLQ/SK3005 Satellite/Splendide XC2100/4slide/dual pane windows
2014 Jeep Compass Ltd 4X4
Boxers;Buddy& Sheba II
USAF 71-75 Vietnam Vet

neil.hank202

Colorado City

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/12 12:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you’re age 50 or over, look into joining the AARP. The RV insurance companies that offer discounts through the AARP are well-reputed, so that’s one thing you can check off your list. It might work out really well for you.

ficodek

Harrisburg, NC, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/12 07:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, I can tell you that CoachNet was a huge help to me on Super Bowl Sunday. The driver disconnected the driveshaft and tied it up. They were able to double-tow the rig to a storage yard, unhitch, and take the truck to the Ford dealer for repair. Through it all I got regular calls from CoachNet to make sure we were safe and taken care of.

* This post was edited 03/02/12 10:55am by an administrator/moderator *

David & Family
2010 Grand Junction 35TMS
2010 Ford F-350 CC PSD DRW
Reese Signature Series 18K hitch

bpounds

Senile, er I mean

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/02/12 09:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep, it's insurance, and sometimes you win, usually you lose. More than anything you are paying for a toll free phone number on a plastic card, and an operator who has contact information. You also have the benefit of their buying power. If you call the tow company yourself, you are just one customer that they know they will never see again. If AAA/GS/Coachnet calls them, the towing company is working for a customer that represents a large percentage of their business.

Mile High

CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/02/12 09:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ficodek wrote:

Well, I can tell you that CoachNet was a huge help to me on Super Bowl Sunday. The driver disconnected the driveshaft and tied it up. They were able to double-tow the rig to a storage yard, unhitch, and take the truck to the Ford dealer for repair. Through it all I got regular calls from CoachNet to make sure we were safe and taken care of.
I feel your pain - In the same week 1 truck broke down - spent a couple of days in the 5er in the Ford parking lot saddling up a new truck, then filled the new one with gasoline by mistake on the way back for another night at a Ford parking lot while they re-dieseled it.

The kids said they weren't going anymore unless Ford put in swimming pools at the Dealerships.

AAA before I changed to Allstate

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Good Sam Roadside Assistance

> Emergency Tow truck options with 5th wheel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Good Sam Roadside Assistance

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS