|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Good Sam Roadside Assistance

Open Roads Forum  >  Good Sam Roadside Assistance

> Emergency Tow truck options with 5th wheel

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
469whj469

Splendora, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/14/12 07:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would use either Coachnet or Good Sam for emergency road service as they are for RVers and both seem to have there followers. You should not have to pay for the service and then seek reimbursement. Both Good Sam and Coachnet service pay then directly.

Mile High

CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/14/12 08:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

469whj469 wrote:

I would use either Coachnet or Good Sam for emergency road service as they are for RVers and both seem to have there followers. You should not have to pay for the service and then seek reimbursement. Both Good Sam and Coachnet service pay then directly.
As do most of the others such as AAA and Allstate. I think the only ones that require you to seek reimbursement are the auto insurance companies with tow benefits.

sirdrakejr

Las Vegas, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/14/12 03:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved from 5th wheels to GS Roadside service.
Frank

2011 Palomino Maverick 1000SLLB on a 2004 Dodge Quadcab CTD Ram3500 SRW long bed equipped with Timbren springs, Stable Load bump stops, Rickson 19.5" wheels/"G" range tires and a Helwig "Big Wig" rear anti sway bar.

mlemonis

lincolnshire, IL

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/12 04:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had a ton of experience with cross country and they are not good. We moved to Allstate even though it was more costly to the company. I felt like I wanted to have a product and a service that I would want to take care of my mother. I never wanted to think about her being stranded on the side of the road. What has amazed me about them is how quick they answer the calls for good sam members and how responsive they are when I have a member issue. They always take ownership of anything that goes wrong.

Marcus Lemonis
Chairman and CEO FreedomRoads, Camping World and RVs.com

agatethompson

3333 Lee Parkway, Suite 600

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/12 02:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jetenbu wrote:

Coachnet will cover all your vehicles also.

Hello Jetenbu, I thinks you are absolutely right.

wbwood

Lake Norman, NC area

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/12 03:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good Sam vows that they will send as many trucks as necessary. For example if you have a truck and travel trailer and the truck has issues. They will send 2 trucks, one for your truck and one for the travel trailer. (if necessary). I imagine others do it also, but don't know.

Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L
ACME Tow Dolly
2007 Toyota Yaris (Toad)

Gunpilot77

Killeen, Tx

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/12 07:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wbwood wrote:

Good Sam vows that they will send as many trucks as necessary. For example if you have a truck and travel trailer and the truck has issues. They will send 2 trucks, one for your truck and one for the travel trailer. (if necessary). I imagine others do it also, but don't know.

And it is true. A few years ago I managed to drive over some road debris in CO that flattened all three of the tires on the right side of my duelly. Why the trailer tires went unscathed is a mystery. The company GS called sent a flatbed wrecker with a D/A Chevy on the back. The driver unloaded the Chev, we unhooked the 5er, pulled my truck onto the flatbed, then hooked the 5er to the Chev. I drove the Chev 50 some miles to the shop.

Fifth wheel pulled with a pick-up

Mark 111

New Brunswick

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/16/12 12:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wouldn't leave home without Good Sam Roadside Assistance. Cancelled CAA many years ago because GSRA is so much better. Haven't had occasion to use the service in US but have done so in Canada several times. Can't say enough good things about it.

ExpySSV

SW Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/12 09:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My family owns a towing service, and while I don't know a whole lot about what is or isn't covered by various road service providers, I can elaborate on the actual towing of TVs and trailers.

There is nothing wrong with towing the truck and trailer combo together, as long as the driveshaft is pulled on the TV. This does, however, require a larger truck in order to lift and pull the combination safely. For instance, the wrecker that towed ficodek's truck is barely rated for towing the TV, let alone the trailer as well. The wheellift on that wrecker, in addition to the short wheelbase, makes it extremely overloaded.

We have wreckers that are considerably larger than that truck, and even larger than the one in Mile High's picture that we use to tow combinations. With this in mind, we rarely tow combinations. We have a pickup truck with a fifth wheel in it for the FWs, while I have an Excursion that I bring out to tow travel trailers.

Another way that I have towed combinations in the past is with a flatbed. You put the TV on the bed, while using the wheellift to pull the trailer. This also allows the use of the trailer brakes, making the whole combination much safer.

2003 Ford Excursion 6.8L V10
1992 Prowler 26'
2001 Montana 30'

huntram

Fulltiming in the RV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/17/12 11:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So my question is this:
Good Sam has regular and Platinum Roadside.
Coachnet has Gold and Platinum Roadside.

Looking at both I'm not sure I see an extra $20-30 a year difference for Platinum. Can anyone convince me to spend the difference?

Thanks,
Brian

Our traveling blog:Brian and Patty's Awesome Adventure
2014 Dodge Ram 3500 CrewCab Dually, Aisin Trans, CTD, 2011 Carriage Cameo 32FWS 5th wheel.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Good Sam Roadside Assistance

> Emergency Tow truck options with 5th wheel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Good Sam Roadside Assistance

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS