|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> ford says focus can be towed 4 down, demco says no

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
sjn7708

illinois

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/12 07:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i purchased a 2012 ford focus se hatchback to use as a dinghy. prior to purchase, i checked with the dealer, with Ford, with motorhome magazine and various other sites all of which said the car could be towed four wheels down with a tow bar, but I didnt check far enough. It even states in the owners manual that the car can be towed 4 wheels down. When I went to get the tow bar and base plate from demco, demco says it cant be towed four wheels down without a transmission pump etc. Couldnt believe it. Word to the wise, check with the manufacturer of the equipment you plan to use for towing, not just the car manufacturer. Besides a tow dolly, any suggestions?

Beverley&Ken

Tottenham,Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/12 07:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your owners manual, Ford Motor Company (not the dealer) say it is towable 4 down, then go for it. Also check with other tow bar manufacturers and Remco towing for their opinions. Could be that Demco has old info about your car or they are just trying to sell you more equipment than necessary.

Beverley and Ken

2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/12 07:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Was that info from a mechanic from a franchise installing demco?
Your car manual is usually the answer to towing questions.
Was there any info in the manual on the trans in regard to towing?

Go here and scroll down to Focus. Maybe this additional info will help you. Albeit even blueox states here to go by the manual.

http://blueox.com/bx-r-BaseplateProducts.aspx?ProductId=1402

Good luck hope you find out.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

dennislanier

Northeast Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/12 08:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Beverley&Ken wrote:

If your owners manual, Ford Motor Company (not the dealer) say it is towable 4 down, then go for it. Also check with other tow bar manufacturers and Remco towing for their opinions. Could be that Demco has old info about your car or they are just trying to sell you more equipment than necessary.

Beverley and Ken

I completely agree with the above. The vehicle manufacturer is the last word on this, either yea or nay. It is certainly possible that Demco does not make the equipment for this vehicle, but that does NOT mean it is not towable. As suggested, check around with other tow equipment manufacturers and see what they have available. I would not give up and buy a tow dolly without exhausting all other possible options. Good luck and let us know what happens. I sure others will encouter this situation in the future.

hotbyte

Barnesville GA

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/12 08:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Manual might also say it can be flat towed for short distance with speed not to exceed some slower than highway speed. So, flat tow short distance at slow speed for emergencies only.

Our Web Albums Temporary Web Albums
2006 Yellowstone SE, 1998 Dodge Durango SLT 5.2L and 2011 Tidewater 1900 Bay Max

sjn7708

illinois

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/12 08:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

owners manual doesnt say anything about needing extra equipment for four down towing. only has speed limit no towing over 70 mph, which is why ibought the car because it had so few towing restrictions.

my rv dealer deals in demco, installs their products and they checked the demco info and called demco as well.

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/12 08:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ford is the one paying the warranty bills. I know who I'D listen to. DO be sure you aren't just "headline reading" though. Read ALL of the information Ford provides on the subject including any provisional information. Getting information from a third party would be as silly as getting your insurance rates from a different insurance company.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

sjn7708

illinois

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/12 08:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

as an aside, i looked at the chevy cruze. last year gm said it could be towed four down only to find out that it could not. they even had to send out addendums to the owners manual stating that it could no longer be towed four down.

philand

US

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/12 08:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have an '11 ford escape, auto, fwd, V6. The dealer checked trnns fluid level and approved it to be towed. They (ford) wants to have the fluid level set correctly to avoid over heating. Some restrictions to speed and hrs between exercising are stated, but was not a problem for me.

demoon

MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/12 09:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, Remco says the Honda Civic and Accord can be towed flat, but Honda says no way. The manuals in my 08 Accord and 12 Civic both say that towing in an emergency can be done, not to exceed 35mph. I have seen people towing both Civics and Accords flat, but I am not taking the chance.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> ford says focus can be towed 4 down, demco says no
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS