|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Sleep number mattress improvement

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
wagonmaster2

northcentral oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/12 10:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've always had trouble with our Sleep Number mattress with the valley in the center that lets the wife and I keep rolling down hill together and makes it harder to crawl out in the mornings. Doesn't seem to matter what the number setting is, 45-75.

I called Sleep Number and they offered to sell me an insert that goes under the center divider, sort of making a "T" out of it for $17. Or they would sell me a set of newer type air bags that zip together supposedly correcting this problem all together for $88. Plus freight I'm sure.

Has anyone tried either of these improvements to their air mattress (ours is about 8 years old now) and if so, did it really improve this problem. The mattresses for the home that I've looked at in stores don't seem to have this center valley problem, but of course they sell for anywhere from $2,100-$3,200 plus delivery and installation.

Wagonmaster2

J&R

jefferson,ga

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/12 06:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our 06 Rev came with Restonic air mat. Liked so much put one in home. See if your plywood under mattress is sagging or bowing in middle. I put a 2x4 side to side support under our coaches bed.

Ron & Joanne 06 Revolution LE 40E

William B

On the road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/02/12 06:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would go with the $88 option. We have a sleep number in our coach and love it. We don't have any tendency to roll toward the middle, unless we want to I wonder if the newer sleep numbers took care of the problem?

Full timing since 2004
2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator
2014 Dodge Ram 1500 Limited

Our Blog

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/12 06:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

mattress with the valley in the center that lets the wife and I keep rolling down hill together and makes it harder to crawl out in the mornings
This is a problem?

2009 Holiday Rambler 42 Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
2004 Honda CR-V

Bob

DHart

Scottsdale, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/12 10:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We tried some after market items to improve how the sleep number bed that came with our new coach felt. In the end we dumped it entirely and bought a Beauty Rest Elite mattress (pocketed coils combined with a memory foam top section) and now we feel like we have the presidential suite every night... Fantastic. Personally, I think the sleep number beds are way over hyped. I've never been on one that felt nearly as luxurious as a genuine mattress of today's best design and materials. Our King size Beauty Rest Elite was on sale for about $1500, not cheap, but worth every penny if you spend much time in your coach.

2011 HR Endeavor 43DFT with a 2012 Chevy Avalanche LTZ "toad".

bluebarry1964b

Homestead, Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/12 09:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had exactly the same problem. We put a piece of firm foam in-between both air bags, the full length of the bed, and stood it up vertically (the 4" thickness part of the foam was at the top, with the width part of the foam vertical). The foam was high enough vertically to pretty much match the height of the air bags when the airbags were inflated to the individual firmness that each of us wanted.
We made sure that another piece of foam that covered the airbags and the foam we inserted in-between the air bags was all one piece, covering both air bags and the foam that was in-between ( I believe this piece of foam comes with the bed). The firm foam we inserted keeps you from dipping into the middle; the top foam that covered both air bags and the foam that you inserted in-between both airbags keeps the firm foam from jabbing you.
Previous to that, we did try the kit that was supposed to fix the problem (I don't remember specifically which kit we bought from Select Comfort). It didn't work for us.

wagonmaster2

northcentral oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/12 03:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buck62 wrote:

CA Traveler wrote:

Quote:

mattress with the valley in the center that lets the wife and I keep rolling down hill together and makes it harder to crawl out in the mornings
This is a problem?

I love rolling down hill a few times a week, I would not change a thing

Rolling down the hill isn't so much a problem as trying to get back up the hill. Kind of like when you knell down, it's quite a ways down but a whole lot further back up.

Appreciate all the ideas, now have to decide just what to do.

Wagonmaster2

Buck62

Charleston, South Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/02/12 09:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA Traveler wrote:

Quote:

This is a problem?

I love rolling down hill a few times a week, I would not change a thing

riggarob

Farmington, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/02/12 11:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DHart wrote:

We tried some after market items to improve how the sleep number bed that came with our new coach felt. In the end we dumped it entirely and bought a Beauty Rest Elite mattress (pocketed coils combined with a memory foam top section) and now we feel like we have the presidential suite every night... Fantastic. Personally, I think the sleep number beds are way over hyped. I've never been on one that felt nearly as luxurious as a genuine mattress of today's best design and materials. Our King size Beauty Rest Elite was on sale for about $1500, not cheap, but worth every penny if you spend much time in your coach.

X2 !!

08 FW Providence 40X
FL-XCS chassis
46"LED,Blu-ray 5.1
Ready Brute tow bar/braking/break away system & wireless light bar
'11 Ford Edge AWD toad
2 Honda 2000s for 30 amp dry camp
&300 watts of solar

Beware of those who point their finger the LOUDEST !

Hjudge49

St. Augustine, Fl.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/02/12 07:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have to newer mdel airbags in the sleep number in our stick house and they work fine. DW's side is on 50 and mine on 80. I don't know which ones we have in the motorcoach, but we don't have any problem with rolling down the hill.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Sleep number mattress improvement
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS