|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> Daylight Saving Time begins March 11, why

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Orion

Pacific South West

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/12 11:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

I never have considered that a viable argument. As one who got up and walked about a quarter of a mile to the bus stop, then rode a bus 7 miles to school, during a Montana January, IN THE DARK, then found that by the time I got home and filled the wood box it was dark again,

You forgot the part where you had to do all that in your pajamas!

I don't believe in astrology. I am a Gemini and
we're very skeptical.

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/12 01:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What are pajamas?

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Toad 1: '06 PT Cruiser, Kar Kaddy dolly
Toy (and Toad 2): 2001 Dodge QC SWB, 360 Magnum, Auto, 4X4
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

msmith1199

Central, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/12 02:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And your scenario was in Montana. Last time I checked that was way up north still isn't it? Days in January get shorter the further north you go. So the clock won't help you as much up there.

* This post was edited 03/06/12 08:44pm by an administrator/moderator *

2004 National Tropi-Cal T-350, Class A, Triple slide, 330 HP Cat DP.
2006 Dodge Dakota 4x4

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/12 02:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The difference is, my scenario is the absolute truth. That is exactly the way it was.
The other scenarios (pajamas, uphill both ways) are just silliness.
Although, 1 to 4 feet of snow was not uncommon.
But, the only hill was the one we watched to see if the school bus would slide into the ditch (we didn't have to walk up or down it). It happened occasionally.
Only someone who grew up in Hungry Horse would understand.

* This post was edited 03/06/12 08:43pm by an administrator/moderator *

belfert

Shoreview, MN, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/12 01:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would be happy to eliminate the twice yearly time changes. However, I would want to keep us on daylight saving time instead of standard time.

If standard time was left in place it would get dark around 8 pm much of the summer. With daylight saving time it gets dark at 9 pm during that same time period. In early July it stays light until around 10 pm.

Lady Fitzgerald

Tempe, AZ, USA, Earth

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/12 02:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Orion wrote:

Quote:

I never have considered that a viable argument. As one who got up and walked about a quarter of a mile to the bus stop, then rode a bus 7 miles to school, during a Montana January, IN THE DARK, then found that by the time I got home and filled the wood box it was dark again,

You forgot the part where you had to do all that in your pajamas!

Not to mention uphill, both ways, in the snow.

Jeannie

Orion

Pacific South West

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/12 08:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Per Monty Python:
"Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before I went to bed.........

Funny, that is exactly what I thought when I read the previous post & others on here. I actually did go on Youtube to find a video of the sketch (it's called 'The Four Yorkshire Men' BTW) but thought that many here just wouldn't get it or understand the accent!

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/12 08:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Per Monty Python:
"Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah. And you try and tell the young people of today that ..... they won't believe you."

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

down home

south

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/12 10:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Monty Python was some good stuff.

down home

south

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/12 06:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Uphill both ways...huummmmm.

Folks we had it easy. When you are young and don't know there is anything better or softer you don't see the disadvantage.
I walked to school all my life. Part of Junior high and High School it was around 5 miles both ways and there was some uphill both ways during rain snow and hundred degree heat. We did have a car for part of the period but I didn't have full use until I made enough mondy to get my own.
My parents and many of yours walked further to shcool and suffered deprivation that would put us into despair.
Mother was a straight A Student but had to get up very early and deal with domestic duties and walk several miles to school. In cold weather she put newspaper, around her, in her clothes to keep warm. She and Grand Mother mad clothes from flour sacks. She put pieces of cardboard or whatever she could find into her shoes.
She suffered the mistreatment from those that had money( had three square meals). They ate many a possum and they ate skunk at least one time. They made biscuits out of shorts or hog feed to have something to eat.The cabin/house was not a whole lot better than corn crib. Uncle told of sleeping on palates and awaking covered in snow.Everyone worked from the day they could get a job, on top of garden etc. One Uncle drove a coal truck at age nine, at least when he could get away with it. h had to sit on a crate and jump down on the pedal and back up to see to steer. The Sheriff brought him home more than once.
Dad's family were share croppers. Possum was a staple as was anything on four legs or with fins. Grandmother was carried to a barn and the midwife went for. Dad was born about mid day. Grand Mother was back in the field that evening.
My wife worked from age 8 or so doing everything from delivering papers to selling greeting cards, chores for others, drive in waitress and everything else and didn't think they were poor.
Folks we had it easy with T Shirts and three squares and a short walk to school.
God love em. Thank you Mama and Daddy

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> Daylight Saving Time begins March 11, why
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS