|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Upgrading my convertor/charger

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
shoreco

Long Island NY

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/12 05:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just ordered an Inteli-Power 9200 Converter/Charger 70 Amp w/ Charge Wizard to replace the original Magnatek 50amp dumb convertor/charger..

Anyone care to share their experience with the Inteli-Power?

Thanks in advance

2002 National Dolphin 5355

OnaQuest

Old enough to be a

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/12 06:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the 9260 and can't complain.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/12 06:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is a great mod! I installed mine at the beginning of last season and it has worked flawlessly. The new converter just barely fit.

Power section removed for IP install:

All done, just need to install the cover. I added the switch to the right to be able to cut power to the IP.

I have a suggestion for the install. Use the existing wires between the fuse panel and the converter and run them down to the IP. THen instead of running the main wires from the battery to the fuse panel, run them directly to the IP. This keeps the battery charging current from having to go though the 3, 20 amp fuses on the fuse board. The IP has it's own fuses for protection and the others are not only unneeded, they are also too small to carry the full 70 amps to the batterys.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2004 Forest River 25RKS many, many mods.
POS H0NDA eu2000i

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/12 08:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I cant tell you how nice it was this winter to just leave the batts on the TT and let the charger take care of them. I used to bring them into the garage, make room for them, hook them up to battery tenders and have them in the way all winter.

ryanallie1

Magalia, Calif

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/02/12 10:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi All.

All I can really say, is your going to love your new Intell PD Converter/Charger with the Built-In Charge Wizard, compaired to the crappy Megnatech. We didn't have your year of Megnatech Converter/Charger.

But I have replaced the Converter/Chargers on our last two RV's with the Intell PD Series with the Charge Wizard.

As soon as we bought our Motorhme, I looked at the brand of Converter/Charger, and oreded a replacement two weeks after we bought it. The only thing a Megnetech is good for, is the Dumps.

Being that we moslty do all Boondocking. Who wants a Converter/Charger that takes up to 36 straight hours to re-charge a Battery Bank from at the 50% Level or higher, back to a fully 100% charged Battery Bank. Not us, thats for sure.

Its also great not to have to check the Distilled Water in the Battery Bank every week to makes sure it isn't being Boiled off as with the Megnatech does.

When we sold our 5er, the Twin Group 27 Interste Battries were only 8 years old and still going stong when we sold it. Thats how great of a Job the Intell PD Converter/Chargers with the Charge Wizard are, and I only needed to check the Distilled Water maybe 3 or 4 times a year. And that is with the 5er being pluggd in 24/7 when not in use.

We are having the same results with our Motorhome as well. The only differance is we put the Intell PD 4655 AMP Converter/Charger with the Built-In Charge Wizard in our Motorhome. Its also plugged in 24/7 when not in use also. Good Luck. Happy Travels. Dan & Jill

1998-33.5 Rexhall, Rexair SL. 460 EFI. F-53. 7.3 MPG. TST TPMS. HWH Levelers. 5.5G Gen. Convection/Microwave Water Purifier/Water Softner. 2 A/C's. Alarm Systems. Honda EU2000i's W/Kit. Steer-Safe. CR-V W/SMI System. FMCA #F414397 Nam-Vet, 66-67-68&70-71

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/12 07:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You will be so PO that you didn't do this sooner.

You batteries will last longer, they will need less water, lots of other little DC problems will just disappear.

At least that is what happened in my case and three others that I know well.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dog going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/12 11:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Scott & Jill wrote:

If I were to change my Converter/Charger from a 30 amp service to a 65 amp service would I have to change the plug and other stuff as well?
65A would draw about 7A AC so the AC side should be OK. But you might need bigger gauge wires to the batteries, perhaps install a remote panel, etc.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42 Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
2004 Honda CR-V

Bob

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/12 01:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A remote panel if available would display amps and voltage. Or an independent display could be used.

Scott & Jill

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/02/12 11:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I were to change my Converter/Charger from a 30 amp service to a 65 amp service would I have to change the plug and other stuff as well?

Life is too short; enjoy it the best way possible

Scott & Jill

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/02/12 11:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA Traveler wrote:

Scott & Jill wrote:

65A would draw about 7A AC so the AC side should be OK. But you might need bigger gauge wires to the batteries, perhaps install a remote panel, etc.

Excuse my ignorance but what would a remote panel do.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Upgrading my convertor/charger
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS