|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Super Slide Problem

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
AdamBryner2012

Springfield, Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/12 10:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello,

Our super slide quit working today, and we are kinda worried because we are scheduled to go back home Wednesday of next week (5 days!)

Even the manual crank doesn't work.

Were in Florida, and had to move campsites, so we put the super slide in, and that was fine. But when checking everything before the move, I noticed the slide was in all the way around, but the upper right side. It was sticking out about an inch and half, and not flush.

So, I had my wife slide it out about 4 inches, and then run it back in.
The problem is after she slide it out, it wouldn't go back in.

The motor runs fine, but it doesn't move.
Here's a high rez picture of the slide mech, and what happens.

image - http://img.adambryner.com/images/201203gsg.jpg

To get it out, I had to put it in manual override, and take a big pair of channel locks and get them on the square tube and manually crank it (wasn't easy, and I think I sprained both wrists doing it.)

Does anybody have any suggestions on what the problem could be?
Any help is appreciated.

usnret

Milledgeville Ga

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/12 11:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You could probably get a mobile tech to look at it. If you have an extended warranty like Good Sam call them and they could get some one out to help you.

USNRET
Jim & Judy
2009 Ram 3500 Dually LB
2011 Cardinal 3425RT
The Meandering Maddox's Blog
The Call to Serve

"Heaven must need a hero"

phillyg

SWFL

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/12 06:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My initial thought is the upper right side of the slide was binding because the trailer was unlevel when you ran it in. Then, you overstressed the slide mechanism and caused something to break. I'm not familiar with the slide mechanism so can only guess there's a clutch or connection point at the transition from rotating to non-rotating parts that may be broken. Good photo and notes, by the way.

You said you were in FL and had to move sites. Are you at NAS KW? If so, I suggest you wander around and see if someone else has a similar unit that you can chat with about the problem. I had a similar problem with a hydraulic slide once upon a time, but the setup allowed me to hook a chain to the mechanism and attach it to a car, and slowly pulled it shut and used tie-downs to keep it in place. But, I can't visualize how you could do that with a typical FW gear-track mechanism.

2002 Keystone Cougar 286, 8,400lbs loaded, pulled with a 2004 F150 Supercrew, 5.4, 3.73 gears. Retired and enjoying life

Vulcaneer

Central New Hampshire, Naples, FL

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/12 06:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just guessing here...Maybe a broken shear pin???? On the side that didn't come in at first.

I suspect something was binding, or out of alignment the first time. And running it out maybe freed it up temporarily. Then drawing it back in, it bound again and sheared the pin???

Don't knbow what could cause it to go out of alignment. Maybe lack of lubrication? But like I say...this is all just a guess.

'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2011 Open Range 393RLS 14,250 GVWR
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.

jetenbu

Southeast Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/02/12 07:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a similiar problem with my kitchen slide. It turned out to be something that got under the slide when I was towing it. It would go out some but would bind and stop. I eventually got it out but it was scary trying to get it out of there. I had to get a neighbor use a ladder and pull down on the top of the slide a little so I could reach under there and get the obstacle out. Try using a flash light from the inside and see if there is something under the slide out. I was amazed at what I found. I never would have thought it could get under the slide out.

For those that are curious, it was a crooked cane with a large ball on one end. Apparently it fell over and rolled around when towing until it got close to the kitchen slide. When I was on some bumpy roads the slide obviously moved somehow and it rolled underneith the slide. I was shocked when I saw it under there.

When I got it out the slide worked just fine. Let us know if you find something under the slide.

Jim

RV: 2012 Montana 3625RE Quad Slide SKP#108921
TV: 2004.5 Dodge Dually 3500 HD
Favorite Quote: ''Life's tough, pilgrim, and it's even tougher if you're stupid.''-- John Wayne

Warning: THIS RIG PROTECTED BY SMITH AND WESSON!

U.S. Navy Vietnam Vet 1967-1968

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/12 08:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also would suspect either a sheered pin or a transmission problem of some sort. With the motor running and the slide not moving that pretty well narrows down the area where the problem is. Many slides have plastic gears and protect the whole mechanism with a sheer pin that is designed to break when it binds. There have been a number of cases where pins are too light and break for little or no real cause. You're lucky that your mechanism is open and easy to get to. Remove the cover from the tranny box and the problem will likely be apparent.
Good luck / Skip

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/12 08:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It looks to me like it is a sheer pin... I had the same thing happen to me last year....

Me-Her-the kids
2015 Ford F350 SD 6.7
08 Montego Bay
Here are my pictures

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/02/12 08:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

x3 on the shear pin. Also, there may be TWO shear pins, one for each gear track, and only one broke, hence the skewing of the slide. Also, double-check your slide manual (if you have it), but most are designed to run dry, with no lubrication. If you feel you do need to use some lube, use a dry teflon or graphite lube, that won't attract dirt, and use very little.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2004 Komfort 25FSG Fifth Wheel
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 56 Year Member

AdamBryner2012

Springfield, Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/02/12 08:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've looked all up under the slide, there's nothing stuck under it.

Does anybody know how to take this apart?
The manual has slide information troubleshooting, and electrical diagram, but no schematic on taking the thing part.

What has to come out, everything?

It's a 2001 Coleman Prospera 358 RLTS.

That shear pin is behind that gear, or under that right roller?
Thanks for the suggestions.

Mile High

CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/02/12 10:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jetenbu wrote:

I had a similiar problem with my kitchen slide. It turned out to be something that got under the slide when I was towing it. It would go out some but would bind and stop. I eventually got it out but it was scary trying to get it out of there. I had to get a neighbor use a ladder and pull down on the top of the slide a little so I could reach under there and get the obstacle out. Try using a flash light from the inside and see if there is something under the slide out. I was amazed at what I found. I never would have thought it could get under the slide out.

For those that are curious, it was a crooked cane with a large ball on one end. Apparently it fell over and rolled around when towing until it got close to the kitchen slide. When I was on some bumpy roads the slide obviously moved somehow and it rolled underneith the slide. I was shocked when I saw it under there.

When I got it out the slide worked just fine. Let us know if you find something under the slide.
Your issue can be worse if the item under there drags (like a battery) and tears the lino . Happened to our buddies Montana.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Super Slide Problem
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS