|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Just purchased 2012 Ford Escape to Tow 4 down

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
PegVanMe

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/12 12:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just purchased a new 2012 Ford Escape to tow 4 down behind our 2009 Bounder. Are we in trouble here? The MH magazine said Ford Escape could be towed 4 down. We are concerned. We are a little afraid our salesman was not quite forthcoming on his transmission facts?

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/12 01:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PegVanMe wrote:

We just purchased a new 2012 Ford Escape to tow 4 down behind our 2009 Bounder. Are we in trouble here? The MH magazine said Ford Escape could be towed 4 down. We are concerned. We are a little afraid our salesman was not quite forthcoming on his transmission facts?

What type drive does it have?

Scottiemom

South Dakota/Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/12 05:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A friend of ours, Malia, is a solo fulltimer. She bought a new Escape last year and has had a number of issues with towing it 4 down, but it is working well for her now. Here is her site where she discusses it:

http://www.maliasmiles.com/blog/category/ford-escape/

You might contact her and ask her about it. She's on FB too.

Dale

Dale Pace
Wife to Terry (Teacher's Pet)
Mom to Scotties, Butterscotch & Duchess
2006 Tiffin Phaeton 40'(Phaeton Place)
2003 Sport Trac Toad
2004 R-Vision Trail-lite 213 (MinnieMee)
Fulltiming since 2005

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/
Where are we?

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/02/12 05:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we looked at a 2010 escape a year or so ago but backed off due to all of the tranny problems others were experiencing. we went back to Jeep and have no regrets. i'm tempted to ask why you're asking now, after you've made your purchase but i won't go there. i hope this works out for you.

'73,
rich, n9dko
Every retired man needs three things....a good truck, a good dog and a working wife

'10 Jeep Liberty KK

jhkayakr

Virginia Beach, Va. USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/02/12 03:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We can't tow our 2010 without installing a Remco transmission pump, or dropping the transmission fluid levels and starting the engine every 2 hours when towing, which is what ford says You can't tow it 4 down without a few modifications. I need to research the use of a dolly with ours. I am afraid to invest in a tow bar if we can't tow ours easily also.
We are seriously considering trading for a jeep too, unfortunately.

I don't think I've ever delt with an honest sales guy........sorry.

2011 Hurricane 31J

Burwoods

Outside Toronto, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/12 05:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry to hear you have already purchased. We want to tow 4 down, just so we don't have something else to find a place to put..at home and on the road. As for salesman, even if the are selling ice cream, I don't trust them...hard to trust people that work all or part on commission.
Good luck

Bob and Sally
1999 Rexhall Aerbus 36'
Towing 2002 Tracker

mlh

Walker, Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/02/12 08:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just bought a 2012 Escape for towing 4 down. I checked the owner's manual to verify that it could be towed. I also checked the TSB for towing 4 down. I brought a copy of the TSB to the dealership to have them check the transmission fluid level. I keep a copy of the TSB and a copy of the service ticket in the glove compartment in case something happens and I have to prove that I followed their directions. I check the fluid regularly and will stop more often than required to run through the gears. I have only towed it about 20 miles and all went well. I am hoping for the best.

2010 Sunseeker 3170DS
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Roadmaster Falcon 2 tow bar

DandSW

West Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/02/12 07:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PegVanMe - Some have had issues with their transmission while towing their Escapes and, based on a Ford Escape forum I'm on, there are those that have had problems without towing. There are also a lot of people towing and driving the Escape every day without problems since it is one of the most popular vehicles sold today. I have towed my 2010 model since I got it without issue but have been meticulous as to the level of the transmission fluid and other towing procedures outlined in the owner's guide. Good luck with your new Escape, only time will tell.

Dave
2010 Newmar CS3647 / 2010 Ford Escape

PegVanMe

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/12 07:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We relied on the newest towing guide out this year, other favorable reports regarding towing on the Ford Escape. It was not until our Son sent us the RV.net reports we really started to worry. Our salesman said he had never heard of it - but he had checked with their maintenence guy. We jumped too fast. Nothing has happened and we've only had the car a day and a half. We really bought it for the towing and had told all of them such.

PegVanMe

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/12 07:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We're hoping to hear from a 2012 owner that has towed. Maybe we need to have something installed?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Just purchased 2012 Ford Escape to Tow 4 down
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS