|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> I Know Nothing

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Tazymae

Kentucky

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/12 06:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

See, I knew you all would come through plus, I have had a cup of coffee and I have decided to carry a "For Sale" sign under my bed just in case so look for me!!! Little humor.
I checked the alarm systems yesterday and suffered temporary deafness for a while but I am glad they work.
Thanks again and keep the words coming.

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/02/12 06:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't over pack... Keep in mind there will be a WALMART or a LOWES close to where ever you are going. They can supply 99% of whatever you might have forgot to bring and need.

We are tent campers from way back in the 50s-60s and back in those days it was load up the Jeep and pull a 5x8 utility loaded down with all the tent supplies. We finally updated to the OFF-ROAD 14RT POPUP shown here and are still packing up much the same way as in the tent days. The difference being we have more toys now then before.

We had to get into a rhythm of what we really needed and setup packing just for that. Was looking at your 2008 Fleetwood orbit TT and your 21 foot trailer floorplan has about the same carrying supplies problem we have with the POPUP. Your saving grace will be the pass-through storage area and your pickup truck bed. Our savings grace was the front deck on the POPUP and our pickup truck bed.

As you can see we almost have the same amount of floor space.

We went with the use of the ACTION PACK storage containers and I have a total of six of these.

I even labled the front with stick on labels as to what is inside... Like Food, Lights, etc. I get two of them under the wrap around seating basically where the table is shown. The rest of my floor space is boxes of thing that goes on the cabinet tops when we setup. In my case everything folds in when you pack up so everything that is higher than the cabinet tops has to go to the floor when traveling. TV, folding chairs, cabinet top shelving, Box fan, Microwave etc... It fills up pretty good and then we slide in the two fabic beds. Everything else then either has to go to the front deck for storage or in the back of our truck.

My truck bed is for the large outside items like the folding chairs, RoadTrip grill, 5-day Ice chest, 2KW Generator, RV TOOL BOX, etc. Pretty much loaded down and has the FOLD-A-COVER hard plastic bed cover so in the end it all is in a weather tight situation and out of sight. There is only two of us traveling so the back seat area of the extended cab usually ends up being individual items and food we pick up just before we get to the camp site.

This is the about the way we do it for every trip. Try to pack up the night before and it works out pretty good for us. We are comfortable in travel mode.

Im sure you will get a good routine on what you will do after a couple of trips.

We usually pack the first night food or pick up on the way there. Then we just make regular food/supplies run to the local food lion after we setup camp. ICE, Firewood and cool drinks gets high priority haha... After I have my first pot of fresh made bean coffee going Im all set...

It definately becomes a challenge for us when it is raining as everything has to come out of the POPUP when we arrive so we can setup the POPUP first. Then we can move everything back inside where it normally belongs. Once the POPUP is up and the tent beds are setup with the awning out then it is much less of a hurry-up mode finishing up. We are in our 70s and still do this haha...

The only real reason to keep playing with the POPUP trailer is I have all the modern things everyone else has incuding indoor potty and sit down shower, full blown HDTV, and everything else. We also get 20-21MPG pulling our 4200LB loaded down POPUP trailer heading down the road and I can still drive through a McDOnald's "pull through" and order a big mac... What more do you need haha...

There are downsides too but I dont list those...

My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - PM me
Roy and Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS
POPUP PHOTOs-Pg52

Burwoods

Outside Toronto, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/12 06:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have posted to this post, but after reading some of the other posts...I am unsure about how you tent camped, but I had everything in plastic bins. As I was never missing anything when camping, taking my camping platic bins and emptying them into whatever should be all I need. I have camping check lists, and plan to use them to fill the RV. Minus of course the tent and pegs...lol. Our problem is over packing clothes, always was, be it plane, car, or anything else...lol. There are also some great check lists on the internet for setting up and taking down whatever type of RV you have purchased, I have all those printed off also. And I have a heck of a binder going....lol.

Bob and Sally
1999 Rexhall Aerbus 36'
Towing 2002 Tracker

Finally Fulltiming

Summer: NYS Finger Lakes; Winter: Someplace warm

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/02/12 06:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great advice above.

Now you need to re-define yourself. You're no longer a camper - you've become an RV'er. You're gonna love it above the ground!

RoadLife

New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/02/12 06:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You really need only two things. Your laptop (so you can come here for advice when something goes wrong) and Walmart (for everything you forgot). Walmarts are everywhere, so you can relax. We all pack way too much stuff the first time, everything except for the one or two things we really need!

Just pack stuff to wear, stuff to eat(and cook with), and stuff to clean with. (bath and kitchen) or say to heck with it and go get it at walmart on the road :-)

ROADLIFE

RoadLife USA 2014 Blog

2003 40' Allegro BUS - 2 slides
2013 Ford F150 XLT 4X4 OffRoad 2014 XC60 Volvo
Shasta - Australian Shepherd; Boomer - Brittany;
Pancho - border terrier

Markiemark32

Atlanta

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/02/12 06:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is a weird sickness, won't be long you all will be looking at bigger rigs & options!!!

Enjoy the adventure!

Markiemark

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/02/12 07:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I probably should have added a couple of the necessary things you need to bring with you. You will need your own white water hose to hook up to the site water. I always a have a 25-foot water hose and coil it up and connect the ends together to keep things from crawling inside of it. You will also need to bring a 25-foot length of RG cable to hook up to the camp site cable TV connection. Most camp site have WIFI now but dont expect it to be real good internet service as alot of folks are hooked up to it. Also dont rule out not using your crank-up OTA BATWING antenna for picking up the local HDTV stations. Just point your OTA Antenna to the local town where the HDTV signals are transmitter from and scan in the digital channels. These are the NATl BROADCAST channels ABC-CBS-NBC-FOX-PBS stations. The OTA digital TV signals are transmitted in full blown high def TV mode where your camp site cable TV is not. We most often get at least 6-36 digital HDTV signals with our OTA antenna setup and kinda neat to have full screen HDTV running on our 22-inch VIZIO flatscreen TV at the camp site watching NCIS and CSI.

Another item I would purchase is a NOAH WX ALERT radio (Radio Shack) as it is always a good idea to keep track of windstorms when camping. When the sustained wind gets above 35-40MPH we will head for the bath room building to ride out the storm in our POPUP setup. Always remember to pull in the awning when you are not around or going to bed at night if storms are in the area.

Mountain Mama

N. TX

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/12 07:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congrats!!! Check out your local Dollar Store plus yard/garage sales, flea markets, Goodwill, etc for extra household items you will need. As you said you have a "house on wheels" like a small apartment, but don't over do it. Like previously said...get some basics, "camp" in your driveway or close to home for a night or two, and keep a list of what you've forgotten. Above all...HAVE FUN!!! My DH has learned that camping can (and is) a lot more fun above ground!!! He's a convert now!

2003 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 34RLT

Tothill

BC

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/12 08:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots of really great advice here.

Only one important thing missed. You both need to know how to do everything from packing (what fits where inside and out) to hitching, driving, parking, unhitching, levelling, setting up camp, breaking camp etc.

In my family Aunt L only handled the inside of the 5er. When Uncle J broke his arm, their daughter and her husband had to take time off work and fly down to meet them, so daughter could fly back with mom and dad and her husband could drive the rig back.

Mobi our class C has its own gear, from kitchen items to linen. The linens come into the house in the winter, everything else stays in the motorhome. Less chance of forgetting the can opener that way.

We were tent campers for 15 years and at first just put the old camping dishes in Mobi.

dqdick

Council Grove, KS

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/12 09:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One of the things many newbies find helpful is a checklist. Some of us on another forum developed one in Excel format. While it's intended for a cat owner with a Montana 5th wheel, it can be modified to fit anyones needs. If you'd like a copy email me at dqdick10432@yahoo.com. I don't know how to attach it here.

Dick and Joyce
2010 Montana 3665RE
Dodge 2500HD Maxi Cab Laramie Edition
Diego, Norm, & Bitsy

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> I Know Nothing
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts