|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Refueling Issues: Size Matters

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ryanallie1

Magalia, Calif

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/02/12 10:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi All.

I don't know how long you have been an RV'er. But it does get easier with time and pratice. I have never had any real problem Fueling up when we had our PSD Truck and 5er.

But of coarse, I was an OTR Trucker for many many years, so getting into tight places was never an issues for me. I've done it for so long, I can just take a quick look at any Fuel Stops, and tell if I can get in easily enough or not.

As you can see in our Signature, we are pretty close in Lenght. I might be a liitle longer than you towing, as we bring our toad with us always.

You do have one advantage over us, as a truck and 5er can turn tighter than a longer Motorhome with a Toad behind it.

You will also realize, as time goes on, which Brands of Stations are better than some others are to get in and out of.

Just take your time and enjoy your trips. Good Luck. Happy Travels. Dan & Jill

1998-33.5 Rexhall, Rexair SL. 460 EFI. F-53. 7.3 MPG. TST TPMS. HWH Levelers. 5.5G Gen. Convection/Microwave Water Purifier/Water Softner. 2 A/C's. Alarm Systems. Honda EU2000i's W/Kit. Steer-Safe. CR-V W/SMI System. FMCA #F414397 Nam-Vet, 66-67-68&70-71

FunnyCamper

Southeastern

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/12 10:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sch911 wrote:

powderman426 wrote:

My opinion on fueling is if your nervous about pulling into any regular fueling station with your rig, you probably shouldn't be driving it. When I look for fuel, price and a place that looks like it moves a considerable amount of fuel are my first consideration. I have yet to find a place I couldn't get into or out of.

Amen! x 2

X3

Foggy

Kalamazoo Mi. U.S.A.

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/12 12:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With a 31' MH + toad there are many more times than not that I have had to pass up a good price on gas because I could not get in and or out without unhitching the toad. I have learned to look the situation over and plan an entrance and exit route before committing.

Happy-Trails
Foggy

Oakman

MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/02/12 10:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Back when I was towing with a gasser I would start looking for exits along the highway that had two or more gas stations available. Of course that’s no guarantee of ease of use. I had a couple of occasions where I had to have my wife spot me as I pulled away from the pumps.

My opinion of course, but if you’re not nervous about pulling into the gasoline fuel islands at a station, then you are an accident waiting to happen. Being nonchalant leads to inattentiveness. Of course you should be nervous about pulling a 50 rig into a fuel island designed for automobiles. I was always nervous pulling into the regular islands at filling stations.

Years ago these forums were nothing but helpful and encouraging, but over the past years this has been changing. There have already been three people express the opinion that if your nervous about pulling into a filling station then you shouldn’t be driving. How helpful is that?

2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab, 4X4, Shortbed, 6.4 Diesel
Reese 16K Kwik Slide
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
Honda 2000i generator
TomTom 540S XL GPS

kernewek

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/02/12 11:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

powderman426 wrote:

My opinion on fueling is if your nervous about pulling into any regular fueling station with your rig, you probably shouldn't be driving it. When I look for fuel, price and a place that looks like it moves a considerable amount of fuel are my first consideration. I have yet to find a place I couldn't get into or out of.

X2
In all the miles I have travelled with my fiver over the last 6 years I have never come across a station that I could not use, accessibility of fuel pumps is not something I ever worry about

Kernewek
2006 Silverado 2500HD CC D/A 4x4
2007 Crossroads Zinger ZF27RL

"Just because I don't care, it doesn't mean I don't understand" Homer J Simpson

RRinNFla

Northeast Florida

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/12 10:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am about the same length as you and I understand your concerns. Here is my strategy.

- When possible, fill the tank while unhitched.

- When making a round trip, I check out stations close to the destination to see which ones might be easier to get in and out of. Doesn't need to be a big place, I have refueled with the trailer at small convenience stores where the pumps were parallel to road.

- The biggest unknown is when travelling down the interstate. I try to make my pit stops at exits that have a lot of choices. I have always found one that works, but I feel that the worse case is I will have to back out, even if I back into the road and stop traffic for awhile. Hasn't happened yet.

- And yes, you may have pay a few cents more per gallon.

Richard

2007 Keystone Cougar 291RLS
2008 Ford F250 V10 (Gas), EC, SB, 4X4

FrankoToo

Escondido, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/02/12 01:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another vote for The Next Exit. Look for fuel stations that are RV compatible. We usually start plotting where we'll stop next at just under a half tank. That way if we see s station we can't get into, we still have enough fuel to move on to the next one.

FrankoToo
2012 Heartland Cyclone 3612 HD
2011 Ford F450 6.7L PS 4X4 Crew Cab Lariat

shutdown

In The Dog House

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/12 12:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For better or worse, i think this is another vote for a diesel. I always use the truck lanes. ya, some have 'auto diesel' but when i pull up the pumps i block off half of the lanes...IMHO its better to use the truck lanes and take only one pump.

When i had my gasser this was an issue for me...as others have said try the outskirts of town, exits with multipal stations we were always able to find something that worked.

GaPete

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/12 01:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oakman wrote:

My opinion of course, but if you’re not nervous about pulling into the gasoline fuel islands at a station, then you are an accident waiting to happen. Being nonchalant leads to inattentiveness. Of course you should be nervous about pulling a 50 rig into a fuel island designed for automobiles. I was always nervous pulling into the regular islands at filling stations.

Years ago these forums were nothing but helpful and encouraging, but over the past years this has been changing. There have already been three people express the opinion that if your nervous about pulling into a filling station then you shouldn’t be driving. How helpful is that?
You are right on Oakman. I am always a little nervous when fueling in a new area and hope I never get so complacent as to not be.

CakeHenn

Temple, TX

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/12 12:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

powderman426 wrote:

I'll disagree...you have to start somewhere and I'm assuming you and the guys that agree with you were not born already having the experience of doing this. There is a first time for everyone. Just because someone is nervous doesnt mean they are not capable.

TT: 2013 Jayco Eagle 314
Truck: 2006 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Duck Gun: Benelli Super Black Eagle II

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Refueling Issues: Size Matters
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts