|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Towing a 2005 Tahoe with a V10

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
gmschmitz

Brentwood, California (US)

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/12 10:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm new to RVing and just purchased a 2000 Coachman Class C 31' E450 with a V10. The old owner gave me a Demco Excali-Bar and a break buddy. I own a 2005 Chevy Tahoe 4x4 and from doing my research found I can tow this four down. My concern or question I have, is the Tahoe to heavy for the V10. I also found that the old owner had a class II receiver put on and it is rated at 3500 lbs. Can I change the receiver out to a Class III or IV and be good to go?

Thanks for your help!

2000 Coachmen Leprechaun 314ss
2000 Mastercraft Sport Star 19
2004 Honda CRF230F

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/02/12 10:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

maybe. tow weight is not just about the hitch. it's about the frame, engine torque, tranny ratio, etc. if all you needed to do to increase tow weight was to change out the hitch then we'd all have Class IV (10K) hitches installed. if you swap out the hitch you likely can tow the Tahoe but can you tow it *safely*? i'd place a call to the mfg. and speak with someone there about this.

'73,
rich, n9dko
Raking leaves....mother nature's way of getting you in shape to shovel snow!

'10 Jeep Liberty KK

PapPappy

Wilmington, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/02/12 11:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe the engine will handle it, but you may have issues with the rest of the RV? What are the weight numbers for towing the Tahoe? The V-10 is a very strong engine (just short of a diesel, in my book, though you'll run at a higher RPMs to get the most of that power).

The hitch can be changed out, but you will want to find out if the chassis can handle the larger receiver. Probably best to contact the mfgr, though most hitch mfgrs will have books telling which hitch will fit where.
I have a larger hitch (5K pound) on the back of my 30' "C", with the V-10, though at this point, I haven't towed anything yet.

Do a bit more research.....and good luck.

Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008 FMCA# F407293
The Pets

gmschmitz

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/12 04:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks guys for the input.

I received this information back from Coachmen.

Thank you for the email inquiry. The motor home in question can tow up to 5000 pounds with a receiver hitch rated at 5000 pounds - you will want to verify a 5000 pound hitch was installed versus a 3500 pound hitch (you can upgrade from 3500 to 5000, but not higher). I believe the Tahoe is pretty darn close to the 5000 pound figure, verify weight to be sure.

I found this info below on the 2005 Dinghy Guide
Model Base Curb Weight
Tahoe/Yukon 4WD 5,050
So if I don't put anyone or anything in it I might be OK Not sure if I should have it weighed some where.

PapPappy

Wilmington, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/02/12 06:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd have it weighed.....yes, it's only 50 pounds, and I'm sure that there are safety room in that 5000 limit, but if something were to happen, you might be held responsible, for knowing that you were over the limits.

If you weigh the unit, and you are under 5K, even 50 pounds under, you will be OK. And I still think the RV's V-10 engine, if it's tuned up, should handle the load.

rjstractor

Auburn, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/12 10:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm pretty sure that Tahoe will weigh over 5K. You should still be under the chassis GCWR of 20K. Your biggest issue with that rig will likely be unrelated to towing. You are very likely close to your rear GAWR without anything loaded.

thataway

Pensacola, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/12 09:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a 30 foot H R with the V10. We put a clss 1V hitch on and upgraded the transmission, Towed 7500 lb boat ( electric over hydraulic brakes)--no problems over both American and Canadian Rockies to SE AK. But you have to do the appropriate mods, and have someone who know what they are doing. The engine was fine. Enough power--not like a diesel'

Bob and Marie Austin
Angel miniature poodle
2007 Holiday Rambler Ambassador 40 PDQ
Toad 2012 GM Yukon XL 4 x 4

gmschmitz

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 11:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I talked to a local shop and they seemed to think it would be no problem. Put a bigger hitch and weld a couple plates on the frame extension towards the rear where there is a notch in the frame. He said the engine would be no problem but I would need to leave the overdrive off on the transmission when towing it so the transmission wouldn't need to keep shifting. I really didn't want to purchase another vehicle because I really won't need to tow a vehicle with me most of the time. It would be for just once in a while, for the most part I see towing the boat and a motorcycle trailer for the trips. Just thought it would be a nice option because I already have the tow bar and break buddy that came with the RV when I purchased it.

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/12 11:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gmschmitz wrote:

I talked to a local shop and they seemed to think it would be no problem. Put a bigger hitch and weld a couple plates on the frame extension towards the rear where there is a notch in the frame. He said the engine would be no problem but I would need to leave the overdrive off on the transmission when towing it so the transmission wouldn't need to keep shifting. I really didn't want to purchase another vehicle because I really won't need to tow a vehicle with me most of the time. It would be for just once in a while, for the most part I see towing the boat and a motorcycle trailer for the trips. Just thought it would be a nice option because I already have the tow bar and break buddy that came with the RV when I purchased it.

is the local shop going to stand behind their words when/if you have a problem related to the extra tow weight. strongly suggest before you do anything that you speak with someone at Coachmen and get their take. at least then you'll be making an informed decision.

gmschmitz

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 11:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did talk to someone at Coachmen and they told me the coach was rated to tow 5000 lbs. I will have the Tahoe weighed before I make any decisions worse case the wife will need to follow me when we need it.

Thanks again for the input and advice.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Towing a 2005 Tahoe with a V10
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS