|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> New to forum. I have questions

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Chuck&Gail

In the Colorado Mountains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/02/12 09:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me, I would get a smaller toyhauler (in fact we did). It is your choice, just wanted to make sure you knew there are a number of us towing tag TT toyhaulers. We use an Expedition, and yes, a Hog would fit, so I've read.

Chuck
Wonderful Wife
Australian Shepherd
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going

1L243

Roseburg Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/12 10:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you just hauling the Hog you can get buy with a 10' garage and maybe not lose much living space with a 34 or 36'.

39' is a big rig, great for RV parks but may be tight for some State and National parks. Check out a few 36' rigs with three slides and I don't think you will have cabin fever. Besides your going to be out riding that Hog most of the time..

When it comes to trucks fuel prices have to be considered. But for a rig that size I to would go diesel.

Shop around for your best prices...The Internet is great. I saved 8k by driving to TX to get my TH...

Getting out of the rain, what's that?

2011 Work and Play 30WR. Added 2nd AC, four deep cycle batteries.

OldGreaser

South Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 05:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a triple axle Cyclone and an F350 duallie. Wife & I have been essentially full time for 8 months or so, and find we didn't really need a 40 footer. If doing it over, I would look hard at two axle toy haulers and get the weight down to 1 ton SRW territory (pin weight is biggest factor). As a bonus, the reduced length of trailer will give you flexibility for more state parks (35 ft cutoff is not unusual) and I don't think you'd be giving up much.
We love our big trailer and the ownership experience has been excellent, but thought I'd share another perspective. A 1 ton SRW makes for a better 'car' when it's too wet to use the HD.

square dancers

Branson, Missouri

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/12 10:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimd3246,

As you can see; you will get as many thoughts as there is RV’ers with this question.

Since you asked; from my perspective your whole RV’ing experience begins with the tow vehicle; I would start with money but it’s understood if you’re going to Pull Full Time you need to have quality equipment.

We have an F450, we like Fords but the 450 or 4500 series is the key. Why, because after you hit the road you may find you want to upgrade your RV and this could mean a tow vehicle upgrade, this also gives you a vehicle that is manageable when not towing. A Diesel, no matter how much the cost of Diesel fuel, over the long haul Diesel power plants will last for 300 thousand + miles with regular maintenance. A long bed gives you a better turning radius and allows for tool boxes and fuel tanks. While I don’t favor extra fuel tanks because you need to get out of the truck and walk around every 3 hours or so and the added weight of the fuel is not cost effective along with the need to keep them full or they draw moisture and the fuel degrades the longer it remains in the tank. Your hitch is important; it should be rated to pull 25K, once again for any RV upgrades. A Dually gives you more towing capability than SWR and you have a more stable weight distribution while towing.

We have a 39’ Keystone Fuzion Touhauler with a 12’ garage. Your point about cabin fever is a non-factor; every RV by code cannot exceed 425 sq. ft. A 39’ toyhauler with a 12’ garage gives you 27’ of living space. You have to decide if you want interior walls or the open concept front to back. With the open concept you live with your toys and their smells, we have a sliding glass door that separates our garage from the living space. How much living space do you need will determine the length of your RV and since your tow vehicle will tow any RV you buy the length is not a problem.

Just my thoughts.

Bill-Edna
The Boys-Beau & Jacques

2008 F450 DRW 6.4 Diesel SDCC
2008 Fuzion 373 39' Toyhauler

Keep the Shiney Side Up
Dull Side Down
Don't Smoke The Tires
Stop and smell all the roses as you travel this Great Country.

ksss

Eastern Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 12:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Considering what you want to haul (HD) and the duration of the stay (extended), I would maximize the interior comfort. My in-laws are looking at a Montana Mountaineering edition with the small garage. Its built like a typical 5th wheel with the ability to hold a bike, golf cart or small ATV. Given what you have going I would consider something like this, over a typical 10-12' garage model. This model was around 37' if I recall and tandem axle. The pin weight empty was around 3K.

2006 GMC 3500 CC 4X4 D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2005 GMC 5500 CC 4X4 D/A
2012 Chevy 2500HD 4X4 6.0 3.73

rehoppe

Denver & Nathrop Colo or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 02:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd probably look at something like this, if I were going to go big and live in it.

clicky

Not mine. Just saw it on the For Sale list. Volvos are nice and turn as well as a Dually PU.

Here's a slightly different option.

clicky

Hoppe
2011 Dodge 1500 C'boy Caddy
2000 Jayco C 28' Ford chassis w V-10 E450
Doghouse 36' or so Trophy Classic TT

shagan77

Ozarks

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/12 06:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots of replies, lots of opinions. Gives you lots to think about.We went with the Cyclone 3950 HD, and a Silverado 3500 DRW Diesel. Frankly, regardless of what I own going forward, that is the truck I will own. It is nothing short of a pleasure to drive. Once you get over the stigma of those slightly oversized hips, then you'll likely love it. I drive it daily.

As for the RV, well, I'm biased, I love my Cyclone. Although, hindsight being 20/20 I would have taken the time to find a Jayco of similar size and checked it out.

We don't stay in State Parks. We've found that the people there are far to formal/restrictive/rude. Can't talk above a whisper after 10 pm, no music at all if it can be heard 6 ft from your rig. Everyone has their noses up. Nope, we stay at the private campgrounds, of which there are plenty. We've traveled from Missouri to California twice, we've gone north and south from here. Never a problem.

If you have your heart set on staying in State Parks, then get a smaller rig and plan to be in bed by dark every night.

Just my opinion.....

2013 Sierra Denali 3500 Duramax\Dually
2011 Cyclone 3950 HD
2009 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S Limited (DW's)
Usually a keg of beer....

gbsb

Hondo, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/12 06:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I were buying a new truck it would be a diesel 1 ton dually. We have a 2010 Fuzion 383 Touring Edition 11 witch is a 40' tri axle toyhauler and carry our Harley TriGlide with us. The 383 has a small garage area but makes the living area bigger. Since we fulltime we wanted the largest living area possible. We tow with a GMC 1 ton dually crew cab It has a 8.1 gas with the allison automatic I get 7-8 mpg towing and 11mpg not towing. Would I rather have a diesel heck yea. But I had this truck when we retired and it has been paid for a long time and just could not justify spending $40,000.00 to trade up and get 4 mpg more millage. The payback just isn't there. More power would be nice but we drive 60 mph when traveling and after leaving Texas last June pulling to Alaska and back to Texas 16000 miles we made it just fine. Never felt like we were in danger pulling we were slow on some of the 6% upgrades but so were the 18 wheelers and when you get there you are there. Hope you find what you are looking for do a lot of looking there is a lot of nice rigs out there, We have had our Fuzion for a year now and no problems at all and love it. George

nick250f

iowa

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/12 01:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any thoughts on a side load Class A.... I am not sure of brands... Maybe someone else can chime in....

Most of them are really nice with lots of various slide options.....

Then you are able to keep the truck for site-seeing and also a tow behind....

Good luck.. Keep us posted...

Nick.

Doughboy12

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/12 12:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ever thought of a Class A? If you are full timing and needing a TV anyway might be worth a look. Get a small pick-up to pull behind with the HD in it...just sharing options. Or small trailer.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> New to forum. I have questions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS