|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> backing up trailer

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
Sponsored By:
dewatkins

Dallas Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 04:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One more thing that will help is to get a hitch on the front of the TV and connect the trailer to it is so easy to do it that way. I had a big van a few years back that had a front hitch that I had to use once to get into a spot that I was not going to back into. It was it the very back of the campground between a tree and a mobile home in New Orleans. I could not even turn my van around in the campground without the trailer, when I unhooked the trailer after a few valiant tries I had to go out to the street to turn around. Once I hooked it up to the front I just drove it in on the first try. I had half dozen people come over after I was done and said there is no way they could had done it and that they were going to look at putting a hitch on the front.

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 07:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dewatkins wrote:

One more thing that will help is to get a hitch on the front of the TV and connect the trailer to it is so easy to do it that way. I had a big van a few years back that had a front hitch that I had to use once to get into a spot that I was not going to back into. It was it the very back of the campground between a tree and a mobile home in New Orleans. I could not even turn my van around in the campground without the trailer, when I unhooked the trailer after a few valiant tries I had to go out to the street to turn around. Once I hooked it up to the front I just drove it in on the first try. I had half dozen people come over after I was done and said there is no way they could had done it and that they were going to look at putting a hitch on the front.

front hitch can be handy, but virtually every one I've seen has a 500lb weight limit. that's going to be a issue with many many trailers, tongue weight will be to high. And it means unhooking, rehooking. IMHO better to learn to back and if your tongue weight is low enough, reserve the front hitch for the "impossible" backing experiences. there area few times my front hitch would have been handy, but with 1400lb tongue weight, I'll keep the front hitch for motorcycles and bikes!

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison

MY4KIDZ

Niagara

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 09:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I found the easiest was learning how to use your side mirors. They are there to be used and after learning how to use them I found backing up much earier and more accurate. Carfull for those blind spots, you might want a 2nd person as a spotter watching the back as you are backing up.

pappcam

Saskatchewan

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 12:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't mean to come across as harsh but if you really can't figure out how to back up a trailer and refuse to learn, perhaps you shouldn't be driving the trailer at all.

Again, I don't mean to be harsh.

2012 Flagstaff 27 BESS
2011 F150 XLT 5.0

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 02:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

southpennrailroad wrote:

I think getting the trailer to the site is not as much fun as when I am actually backing into the sot I am going to be at. A few challenges excite me and this is one of them.

x2. I like a challange.I like to see if I can do it the 1st time. Sort of a game with me. One thing I do is get out 1st, (if it' a tricky spot) and look at where I need to put the TT's tires, then I drag my foot in the dirt along the path I want the wheels to follow and have my wife guide me along the dragged trail. I have a hard time seeing the whole process with our 31'er.

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/12 05:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't give up the ship! See this post.
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch
2002 Ford F250 Super Duty, 7.3L PSD
Visit our website here

wannavolunteerFT

South Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/12 06:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

don't forget to get extension mirrors of some type, if you don't have some. I am still learning, my biggest challenge is parking at home. since I am the first house off the main highway into the subdivision, I almost always block at least one vehicle while I backing in. today, I wasn't exactly where I wanted to be and had truck at a pretty tight angle, so I unhooked truck and straightened it up and then was able to move the trailer over further without backing into anything, or pulling into road and starting over. yeah, it was kinda like cheating, but it sure made it easier.

Ops

Central PA

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 06:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nephi, a couple comments from a former trucker:

The toy truck is a very good idea. An RC toy truck with steering would be even better.

Next learn to use the mirrors. Make sure the inside measurement from mirror to mirror is wider than the trailer. You need to be able to see the rear corners of the trailer from the driver's seat. Otherwise you are backing blind.

Learn to back up straight first. Start out straight, put it in reverse, and as the trailer drifts to one side, turn the wheel in the direction the trailer is going. Small adjustments will do it, just react as the trailer moves.

Lastly, 90% of backing is how well you line up beforehand. I won't back to the right, (blindside) and try to line up the rig as straight as possible BEFORE you back up. Most folks don't leave themselves room to manuever.

You need to get out and PRACTICE. We got into a pickle a coupe of years ago, bridge was impassable and we had to back out for nearly half a mile before I could turn around. Took my time and we got out, with one double cut to get around a blindside corner.

When I was a trucker, I had a delivery to a newspaper in southern Ohio that involves be backing up for 100yds thru a 12' alley with an 8' wide truck. Again, took my time and got out.

The first time you make a left side corner into a site and get it with one cut and no reversing will be a day you will remember.

Like I said, begin with TV, TT, and front wheels straight and back straight. It'll come to you. Also, "back when" we had a sayong - If you can't cant drive it backwards, you have no business driving it forward..

ETA: I tow a very similar trailer with a FS pickup, and yes, the longer the trailer, the easier it is to back it...

Ops

2001 Ram QC, Cummins, auto, 4:10s and 4x4, 5" straight pipe
1995 Jayco Eagle 220
DW
DS
Old man..

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> backing up trailer
Search:   Advanced Search