|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> 2 or 3 air conditioners in a 41' DP

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
mike4947

N. Syracuse, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/12 04:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What makes a large difference between 2 and 3 is the color of the coach. Those full body paint black ones really need the extra help of the third one over an all white coach.
We had one woman demand her DH paint the roof to match the body color, black of course. She said she could see the white and it made the coach look "funny". Couldn't keep that RV cool with three A/C's.

blog.rv.net Your daily guide to the Open Road

Subscribe to the daily digest

They say you learn by your mistakes, in that case I must be a genius.

zmotorsports

Utah

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/12 05:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Color makes and how much glass you have make a huge difference in how much heat needs to be pulled out of the interior.

Our last coach was a 1991 38' Beaver Contessa which had two A/C units. If you could turn them on early in the day before it got too hot two were sufficient. However, if you came back after a long day of playing or when we went to the desert to play in the sand in the warmer months, I wish I would have had three.

When we were looking for our current coach, 3 air conditioning units as well as the 10kw generator were on our wants list. It is hard to find three on a 40' rig. Above 40' three units is pretty common but 40' and less usually only two unless the original owner special orders a third which was the case on ours.

Mike.

2003 Monaco Dynasty/ 26' Haulmark Edge trailer
2011 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon

RSchleder

iowa city, ia

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/12 07:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree, get 3 and use the number you need to stay cool. If you only have 2 and can't get the coach cooled down, you'll quickly want to kick yourself!

Rich D.

New England

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/12 08:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't forget to add for slides. Two air conditioners in a 34' coach with no slides means about 144 sf per unit. A 41' coach with 4 slides equals about 220 sf per unit. As others have stated - go for the 3 A/C's.

Rich D. Wanderlodge M450 LXi

SRT

Head of the Lakes, MN

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/12 06:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gee, when we bought ours new, there was an option for two A/c's, 50amp and 5.5 Onan generator. Plus our roof is white. Sure needed two A/c's this past summer in July when we had hot temperatures (equal to 110+°). Kept the cats cool while we were at a convention.

JTHarley

Northeast, Michigan, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/12 01:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Three is better than two even though most 50 amp units will only run 2 at a time. I like the idea of having a back up and being able to turn the air in zone 1 off and turn on zone 3 in the bedroom when you go to bed.

Jim , MJ & Spirit of Sambuca Bear
2005 Prevost Royale XLII
Jeep Sahara Toad

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/12 01:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JTHarley wrote:

Three is better than two even though most 50 amp units will only run 2 at a time.
A 50A rig should easily be able to run 3 ACs and a lot of other equipment all at the same time. 12,000 watts is a lot of power.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42 Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
2004 Honda CR-V

Bob

Mr.Mark

California/Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/12 01:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JTHarley wrote:

Three is better than two even though most 50 amp units will only run 2 at a time. I like the idea of having a back up and being able to turn the air in zone 1 off and turn on zone 3 in the bedroom when you go to bed.

We have run 3 air units at the same time many times. What I can't do is run the third air and the dryer at the same time or the electric cooktop and the third air. Otherwise, we plan accordingly and do laundry at the end of the day when the third air is not needed.

We have only used our cooktop once in almost 5 yrs.; we use the the grill outside and/or the convection microwave.

MM.

Mr.Mark
2013 Honda CR-V EXL, AWD, w/Nav, SMI Air Force One vacuum-assisted braking, Blue Ox base-plate, Blue Ox tow bar.
2015 Liberty

B's Bunch

Shelbyville, TN. USA Why live any where else?

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/12 03:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

univmd wrote:

We need all 3, esp. whenever we visit TN.
what are you trying to say

Larry,Brenda,Travis,Jarred & MEME the Boston Terror TheBunch 2011 American Coach Revolution 42T The Double Wide

JTHarley

Northeast, Michigan, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/12 05:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mr.Mark wrote:

JTHarley wrote:

We have run 3 air units at the same time many times. What I can't do is run the third air and the dryer at the same time or the electric cooktop and the third air. Otherwise, we plan accordingly and do laundry at the end of the day when the third air is not needed.

We have only used our cooktop once in almost 5 yrs.; we use the the grill outside and/or the convection microwave.

MM.

OOPs my bad...I can run 3 AC units but only two heat zones at the same time.....

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> 2 or 3 air conditioners in a 41' DP
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS