RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Someone comes knocking at night while stealth camping.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Someone comes knocking at night while stealth camping.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
beemerphile1

I'm 59, I'm not a

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 01:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wbwood wrote:

You are gonna post a video of some fruitloop saying that its legal to do? Post one from a authoritive source. Not just someone who thinks it is.

That "fruitloop" is a world traveler, author, and owner of a bicycle touring company. Is a photographer from NC more of an authoritative expert?

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it..."
Judge Learned Hand

2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900/1998 Ford E150 4.6L = 8MPG
2009 Aliner Sport/2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L = 22MPG

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 01:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

beemerphile1 wrote:

Who do you ask permission to park on a public street? As taxpayers we already own the street, so I guess we ask ourselves. The only drama seems to come from the people that don't understand.

Those that are closed minded and want to bash and make false claims as to legality will never get it. Those that are truly interested can Google stealth camping and finds lots of information. Some sites promote illegal camping and others promote legal camping, your actions are always our own choice.

Unless posted it is generally considered legal to overnight on a public street or other public property. However here is the statement quoted from one website;
"Even if it is not illegal, local police are often hostile to people who live unconventional lifestyles. They don't understand them and it is human nature to fear the unknown. If you are not breaking any laws, there is not much they can do, but they can still hassle you and tell you to move on. This is where stealth parking comes in. The police won't hassle you if they don't notice you."

That is why you don't answer the door, even if legally parked it would be foolishness to argue the point with an officer.

That statement appears to also be true on this forum "don't understand...fear the unknown". As a response to that fear - they criticize what they don't understand.

Here is a video about the legality of stealth camping;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjdhTWWRoI4

I think we understand perfectly well! To paraphrase Shakespeare's famous line: "Methinks thou doth protest too much".

The more you attempt to rationalize this intrusion on the Rights of Ownership, the more apparent it becomes that you know it to be wrong.

Permission to park on Public Property is very easy to ascertain. When in doubt one can take one's chances if one doesn't mind keeping an ear open for an Enforcement Officer's knock on the door- at which point respectable people with nothing to hide will OPEN the door, and move along if told to do so.

I think the most vehement objections here in this thread, my own included, are attached to your presumptuousness about privately owned property. Every person that expects one's own property to be treated as under one's exclusive control understands that he/she must accord the same respect to others.

But maybe you consider yourself to be "above" that simple social truth, too.

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

wbwood

Mooresville/Troutman, NC area

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 01:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

beemerphile1 wrote:

wbwood wrote:

You are gonna post a video of some fruitloop saying that its legal to do? Post one from a authoritive source. Not just someone who thinks it is.

That "fruitloop" is a world traveler, author, and owner of a bicycle touring company. Is a photographer from NC more of an authoritative expert?

Perhaps a "photographer" from NC with over 25 years in law enforcement. Has traveled across the world and owns a bike..lmao

Dude, seriously....find something from a source that has legitimacy if you are trying to prove a point. Is this your reasoning you would submit to the judge in court?

And by the way, a "public roadway" does not give you the right to do what you want.

Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/12 04:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since this thread started I have been kind of paying attention to signage. From the looks of things, at least in this part of NY you cannot stay on a public rd.
Every town I have passed into in the last several days has the following signs:
Welome to "xxxxx"

Buiding permits are required
Code enforced by "xxxx"
Overnight parking prohibited
on all town of "xxxxx" roads

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 10:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

beemerphile1 wrote:

Who do you ask permission to park on a public street? As taxpayers we already own the street, so I guess we ask ourselves. The only drama seems to come from the people that don't understand.

Those that are closed minded and want to bash and make false claims as to legality will never get it. Those that are truly interested can Google stealth camping and finds lots of information. Some sites promote illegal camping and others promote legal camping, your actions are always our own choice.

Unless posted it is generally considered legal to overnight on a public street or other public property. However here is the statement quoted from one website;
"Even if it is not illegal, local police are often hostile to people who live unconventional lifestyles. They don't understand them and it is human nature to fear the unknown. If you are not breaking any laws, there is not much they can do, but they can still hassle you and tell you to move on. This is where stealth parking comes in. The police won't hassle you if they don't notice you."

That is why you don't answer the door, even if legally parked it would be foolishness to argue the point with an officer.

That statement appears to also be true on this forum "don't understand...fear the unknown". As a response to that fear - they criticize what they don't understand.

Here is a video about the legality of stealth camping;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjdhTWWRoI4
I must apologize. I was totally wrong. If it is on YouTube it MUST be true. Armed with that video, I am sure you could march into any courtroom in America and beat any illegal parking or trespassing citation. Who needs a lawyer or a law degree when you can arm yourself with a Youtube guy.

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 11:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Brace yourselves!

Next thing you know we'll be presented with a Verse From The Bible "proving" some Divine Plan for unrestricted rights of access to wherever we go on Planet Earth....

beemerphile1

I'm 59, I'm not a

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 11:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, its been fun stirring the pot but I'm going camping. It is time for some fun in the sun in the sunshine state.

You'll have to carry on without me. I promise not to laugh out loud about this thread as I stealth camp in what is probably one of the most difficult states. I've been making the same trip for years.

You people are so easy to rile! Like shooting sitting ducks.

OverTheTopCargoTrail

Silicon Valley

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 11:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

westernrvparkowner wrote:

Doesn't matter what you put inside a cargo trailer, it is still a cargo trailer and it still won't be allowed in my "junkyards". We have now reached the ultimate in apples vs oranges comparing a cargo trailer to a Prevost. Like they say, put all the lipstick you want on a pig, you still have a pig.

To westernrvparkowner from "OverTheTopCargoTrailer"

Your just a totally uneducated ignorant dumb ASS in my book. There is no big difference between a cargo trailer, a mobile home trailer "which you worship" and an RV or bus. They are all substandard housing units vs a stick built or custom house. Somehow you seem to feel your the KING among the hobo's because your trailers sits on rusty wheels, jacks & some dumb-ass is willing to pay you $900 per month space rent & put up with your endless stream of BS little rules. A mobile home or trailer is the biggest piece of JUNK in the world and goes to ZERO value right after you buy it. Its almost impossible to sell. A mobile home renter is the biggest dumb SUCKER of all, he is held hostage because he & you both know he can't move his unit to get away from a dumb ASS like you.

Show me 1 person in the whole world who is getting rich owning a trailer ? Other then FEMA

This is why I own single family houses "AND" would never park in a place run by a JERK-LIKE-YOU My cargo trailer is only my hobby project, at least I have a one of a kind project vs..... your boring life of only getting enjoyment running your stupid mouth, without your petty little job as Hitler of your trailer park , even the Hobos would not respect you !!

http://overthetopcargotrailer.blogspot.com/

RandACampin

Kathleen, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 12:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OverTheTopCargoTrail wrote:

Your just a totally uneducated ignorant dumb ASS in my book. There is no big difference between a cargo trailer, a mobile home trailer "which you worship" and an RV or bus.

Wow talk about the pot calling the kettle black

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 12:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

beemerphile1 wrote:

Well, its been fun stirring the pot but I'm going camping. It is time for some fun in the sun in the sunshine state.

You'll have to carry on without me. I promise not to laugh out loud about this thread as I stealth camp in what is probably one of the most difficult states. I've been making the same trip for years.

You people are so easy to rile! Like shooting sitting ducks.

No need to publish your itinerary!
We can tell where you've been by new signs like this on the private properties you like to use without permission.

Bet you laugh even louder when the signs go up at places that used to allow folks that ASKED FOR PERMISSION to overnight there. We can't even ask for permission in those places anymore- ain't that a hoot?
I can't even imagine the level of mirth produced by the New Blanket Prohibition Ordinances you scofflaws leave in your wake.

Have fun doing your share towards ruining freeparking/overnighting for the Responsible Rest of Us!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Someone comes knocking at night while stealth camping.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS