RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Someone comes knocking at night while stealth camping.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Someone comes knocking at night while stealth camping.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
wny_pat

Western NYS

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 10:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

westernrvparkowner wrote:

beemerphile1 wrote:

Obviously we don't all share the same opinions and that is fine. Life would be very boring if we all agreed on every subject.

It is also obvious that same people don't get the concept of stealth camping and would rather judge and criticize than understand.

However, I find the personal insults to be reprehensible. Was it necessary or polite to compare a converted cargo trailer to a cardboard box? That was rude.

Fact is some cargo trailers come from the factory fully equipped for camping. Check out the Work and Play by Forest River line.
Actually, if the read the original posts, the guy with the cargo trailer said he was building it so he would not be run off by local officials. Therefore, it appears the guy was not 1) planning on staying in any kind of designated camping facility, be it a private campground, a national or state park, a city park or any other park. 2) he wasn't planning on staying in a rest area, a Walmart, Cracker Barrell or truck stop where you have permission. 3) he wasn't planning on boondocking or staying any other place where an RV would be allowed. He was planning on staying where an RV would not be allowed, otherwise he wouldn't have to try and hide. As a practical matter, that would either be private property (such as a parking lot) where he knows parking an RV is not permitted, or plans on sleeping along the side of the street in towns and cities (because pulling over on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere will almost always get a visit from law enforcement investigating if it is an abandoned or disabled vehicle). The very definition of Stealth implies that you are trying to go undetected. The only reason I can think of for wanting to go undetected is because you would not be allowed to be there if they knew you were camping.
And if he were to "stealth camp" in my home town he would be in violation of the zoning law! Now he could fight the ticket, but he will not win because we do allow camping in permitted areas. And those permitted areas are not owned or controlled by politicians or anyone on the Zoning Board! In fact, a couple of the politicians and zoning board members are RVers!

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

LindanMick

Lee's summit

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/12 08:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow, This thread has me worried what kind of people are out there in R/V land. The OP doesn't want to pay to stay, why not? And the guy with the cargo box with the hidden insides, you need to put "Joe the Plumber" on the side to make it really sneaky. If you have to hide you're sneaky. I worked with a guy who said it isn't stealing if you don't get caught, he got caught. It's not trespassing if you don't get caught, BS.

beemerphile1

I'm 58, I'm not a

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 10:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Who do you ask permission to park on a public street? As taxpayers we already own the street, so I guess we ask ourselves. The only drama seems to come from the people that don't understand.

Those that are closed minded and want to bash and make false claims as to legality will never get it. Those that are truly interested can Google stealth camping and finds lots of information. Some sites promote illegal camping and others promote legal camping, your actions are always our own choice.

Unless posted it is generally considered legal to overnight on a public street or other public property. However here is the statement quoted from one website;
"Even if it is not illegal, local police are often hostile to people who live unconventional lifestyles. They don't understand them and it is human nature to fear the unknown. If you are not breaking any laws, there is not much they can do, but they can still hassle you and tell you to move on. This is where stealth parking comes in. The police won't hassle you if they don't notice you."

That is why you don't answer the door, even if legally parked it would be foolishness to argue the point with an officer.

That statement appears to also be true on this forum "don't understand...fear the unknown". As a response to that fear - they criticize what they don't understand.

Here is a video about the legality of stealth camping;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjdhTWWRoI4

* This post was edited 03/08/12 11:03am by beemerphile1 *

...a government big enough to give us everything we want is a government big enough to take from us everything we have...
Gerald R. Ford

2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900/1998 Ford E150 4.6L = 8MPG
2009 Aliner Sport/2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L = 22MPG

wny_pat

Western NYS

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 10:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LindanMick wrote:

Wow, This thread has me worried what kind of people are out there in R/V land. The OP doesn't want to pay to stay, why not? And the guy with the cargo box with the hidden insides, you need to put "Joe the Plumber" on the side to make it really sneaky. If you have to hide you're sneaky. I worked with a guy who said it isn't stealing if you don't get caught, he got caught. It's not trespassing if you don't get caught, BS.
Yep, the only time I was ever stealth and covert, I was being paid by the government. Following people around and keeping track of their whereabouts and activities. You will have a very hard time sneaking up on me today!

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 10:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FunnyCamper wrote:

there is nothing wrong with stopping and camping for the night. BUT if someone comes knocking, open the door and own up. and move if required. or just ask if you can ahead of time to stay there. if no one is around stop and relax. what is the big deal?

I read a blog of a guy traveling in a small van/camper (are those the Bs?) by himself and all he did was ask. every time he had a place to park at night and never once did he have to worry about trespass or any other type of worry about his parking situation. all free. and alot of people let him hook up to outside biz water spigots etc.

every piece of real estate on this earth is owned by someone. so unless stated public (and those obviously have rules to abide also)...you have to own up and open the door. unless you look out and it is Freddy Kruger out there or worse

That's what I do, too. People are real hospitable if you're up front with them. But nobody likes being taken advantage of, which is what won't-ask types are doing.

Frankly, I don't see how anyone could even sleep for fear of that knock at the door. Why put yourself through it????

Ask permission, put the camo face paint away, and can the drama.

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

FunnyCamper

Southeastern

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 06:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

there is nothing wrong with stopping and camping for the night. BUT if someone comes knocking, open the door and own up. and move if required. or just ask if you can ahead of time to stay there. if no one is around stop and relax. what is the big deal?

I read a blog of a guy traveling in a small van/camper (are those the Bs?) by himself and all he did was ask. every time he had a place to park at night and never once did he have to worry about trespass or any other type of worry about his parking situation. all free. and alot of people let him hook up to outside biz water spigots etc.

every piece of real estate on this earth is owned by someone. so unless stated public (and those obviously have rules to abide also)...you have to own up and open the door. unless you look out and it is Freddy Kruger out there or worse

* This post was edited 03/08/12 07:36am by FunnyCamper *

wbwood

Mooresville/Troutman, NC area

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 01:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

beemerphile1 wrote:

Who do you ask permission to park on a public street? As taxpayers we already own the street, so I guess we ask ourselves. The only drama seems to come from the people that don't understand.

Those that are closed minded and want to bash and make false claims as to legality will never get it. Those that are truly interested can Google stealth camping and finds lots of information. Some sites promote illegal camping and others promote legal camping, your actions are always our own choice.

Unless posted it is generally considered legal to overnight on a public street or other public property. However here is the statement quoted from one website;
"Even if it is not illegal, local police are often hostile to people who live unconventional lifestyles. They don't understand them and it is human nature to fear the unknown. If you are not breaking any laws, there is not much they can do, but they can still hassle you and tell you to move on. This is where stealth parking comes in. The police won't hassle you if they don't notice you."

That is why you don't answer the door, even if legally parked it would be foolishness to argue the point with an officer.

That statement appears to also be true on this forum "don't understand...fear the unknown". As a response to that fear - they criticize what they don't understand.

Here is a video about the legality of stealth camping;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjdhTWWRoI4

What a bunch of BS....

Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

wbwood

Mooresville/Troutman, NC area

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 01:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are gonna post a video of some fruitloop saying that its legal to do? Post one from a authoritive source. Not just someone who thinks it is.

beemerphile1

I'm 58, I'm not a

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 01:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wbwood wrote:

What a bunch of BS....

Very intelligent rebuttal, care to expand on it a little?

FunnyCamper

Southeastern

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 01:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I didn't think the OP meant just parking on a public street. I thought it included 'just anywhere' and what if someone came knocking

You could park on a public street, take a bath in a fast food restaurant bathroom sink and be on your way. No reason for stealth. Stealth is when you are thinking of using someone else's property as your location and wonder who might be knocking and when.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Someone comes knocking at night while stealth camping.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS