|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Used RV's Increased in value

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
zigzagrv

Nazareth, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/12 09:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since the value of the dollar has decreased approximately 21% over the past few years, the cost of everything has gone up since it requires more dollars to buy the same thing as it did 3 years ago.

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
'95 Tracker toad

Nomadac

Columbus, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/12 10:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rgatijnet1 wrote:

Of course Blue Book value does not include any sales by private owners through eBay, Craigslist, or any of the other means of selling a coach without it being reported to the Blue Book. I look at their prices as being about as accurate as Car Fax, which relies on reported damage, etc. RV's are worth what someone is willing to pay and what the seller will accept.

On the plus side however, the fuel that I put in my tank three weeks ago is worth about 10% more today.

X2 I have no faith in Blue Book, NADA, etc. as private sales are not reflected, same for Car Fax where no service or body shop repairs are not reported. Close inspection and what you are willing to pay and is acceptable is the only issue.

Arnie
2003 Travel Supreme MH
38KSO1 Cummins ISC 350HP
2004 Honda Pilot w/SMI Air Force One Brake Sys.
1963 Pontiac Grand Prix 20' Enclosed Car Trailer

Buck62

Charleston, South Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/12 10:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

eadeal55 wrote:

I would also think that supply and demand are driving up RV prices, just like used car/truck/suv prices are up due to the "cash for clunkers" program in 2009 that took millions of older vehicles off the road.

There was probably not a lot of RVs made in the 2008 and 2009 model years, when according to some industry publications, more than 100 RV manfacturers went bankrupt or out of business.

I'm excited that my Bounder might be worth more in a future sale/trade than it is now. I recently did an internet search for my Bounder year/model and found about 8 of them with an average price of about $52K, which is half of original retail in 2005.

This is the kind of news that really doesn't excite me. So now you can add 4.5% more of $52,000 to your selling price or roughly $3000.00 so now the selling price will be $55,000. It is still a depreciating asset that will continue to drop in value each year until it is zero or you sell it before zero value. If you had a dealer give you a trade in value a few weeks back before this announcement and got a recent trade in appraisal I know it will not be 4.5% higher probably a lot lower.

Lobstah

Gulf Coast

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 10:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with lugnut and peaches. It's always good news when the value of something increases. Some here seem to doubt this...so here's my experience.

I recently called the same dealer we purchased our Pace from, which was an eBay purchase. This dealer ONLY sells on eBay. That's his business model. He buys 4-6 coaches at auction, fixes them up, and lists them.

I was asking about trading in our unit for a coach he had listed, and he explained that the good news was that prices on used coaches had gone up, and that ours was worth pretty close to what we paid for it over 2yrs ago.

So that's not based on NADA, Bluebook, or anything other than his own experience buying and selling motorhomes.

Btw...we elected not to go through with the deal...not quite ready to make that jump

Jim

2005 Pace Arrow 36D
Very Understanding Wife
1 Boxer
3 Maine Coon cats

Rwake901

Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/12 11:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gasoline just went to $3.99 a gal. this weekend where I live. That should help bring the price of motorhomes back down....

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 11:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dog Trainer wrote:

I can't see any sustained price increase untill the price of fuel is better known. With the speculation of increases abouve the $5.00 mark the used price may fall. I guess it is a wait and see thing.
The normal RV owner drives their rigs somewhere between 6000 and 12000 miles a year. At 8 MPG that is between 750 and 1500 gallons of fuel. Even if prices are $2.00 a gallon higher than expected when the rigs were purchased, that brings the annual operating costs up $1500 to $3000 a year. Very substantial, but in reality, not a back breaking amount for someone who is investing $100,000 plus in their rigs. I suspect most people will adapt, either by making a few less side trips, cutting back in other areas, such as souvenirs, meals out, or just plain bite the bullet and accept that the costs of RVing are worth incurring for the pleasure it gives. The fact that the wholesale value of the rigs increased may not be significant, but it may be a signal that the freefall the values have been in may be ending. Could a bottom be near??

TechWriter

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/12 12:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

westernrvparkowner wrote:

Dog Trainer wrote:

I can't see any sustained price increase untill the price of fuel is better known. With the speculation of increases abouve the $5.00 mark the used price may fall. I guess it is a wait and see thing.
The normal RV owner drives their rigs somewhere between 6000 and 12000 miles a year. At 8 MPG that is between 750 and 1500 gallons of fuel. Even if prices are $2.00 a gallon higher than expected when the rigs were purchased, that brings the annual operating costs up $1500 to $3000 a year. Very substantial, but in reality, not a back breaking amount for someone who is investing $100,000 plus in their rigs.

Maybe not at first, but as fuel prices continue to increase (as they will) and you're on a fixed income, then the burden can become substantial.

With full timing coming up for me, I did some budget projections, figuring diesel going up $0.50/year & driving 10K a year. I'll have to cut back to 5K miles in 2023 when diesel is $7/gal.

2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP
Full Timer since May 2013
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

eadeal55

Suffolk VA

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 03:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buck62 wrote:

eadeal55 wrote:

I would also think that supply and demand are driving up RV prices, just like used car/truck/suv prices are up due to the "cash for clunkers" program in 2009 that took millions of older vehicles off the road.

There was probably not a lot of RVs made in the 2008 and 2009 model years, when according to some industry publications, more than 100 RV manfacturers went bankrupt or out of business.

I'm excited that my Bounder might be worth more in a future sale/trade than it is now. I recently did an internet search for my Bounder year/model and found about 8 of them with an average price of about $52K, which is half of original retail in 2005.

This is the kind of news that really doesn't excite me. So now you can add 4.5% more of $52,000 to your selling price or roughly $3000.00 so now the selling price will be $55,000. It is still a depreciating asset that will continue to drop in value each year until it is zero or you sell it before zero value. If you had a dealer give you a trade in value a few weeks back before this announcement and got a recent trade in appraisal I know it will not be 4.5% higher probably a lot lower.

OK...OK...OK...so I'll have to find something else to be excited about. How 'bout steak and shrimp for supper??

Andy & Lee, plus the furry kids Bella and Molly
'05 Fleetwood Bounder 33R, F53 w/6.8L V10...towing a
'07 Chevy HHR LT2 w/2.4L EcoTec,
Blue Ox Aventa LX, Brake Buddy Classic
FMCA #F359977 - Colonial Virginians, President 2012-14

Lug_Nut

British Columbia, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 10:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, I agree it does nothing to address higher fuel prices, but, any news of reversing value aids in slowing depreciation is good news. It's good for those that might one day upgrade and good for those wishing to just sell eventually. This sort of value increase softens the loss of value due to depreciation. Yes, it is great news!

'07 Newmar Essex 45' ISM 500 4 slides

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Used RV's Increased in value
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS