RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Bye Bye Cheaters!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Bye Bye Cheaters!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
J-Rooster

Port Orchard, Wa. / Lake Havasu City, Az.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/02/12 10:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All those speedometer roll back guys were sent to prison today in Federal Court! If you haven't heard they were rolling back the speedometers on cars, trucks, and motorhomes here in the Pacific Northwest. They were using Craig's List as there marketing tool and sales outlet. Why, I posted this is to make aware to you posters that buy used RV's to do your homework before you buy. They were caught when a buyer did a title search and was able to obtain service records!

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 12:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The same thing happened locally but it was 30 years ago. All are out of jail or dead today. Crime does not pay in the end.

Hikerdogs

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 06:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dale.Traveling wrote:

Getting pretty hard to do with analog odometers going the way of the Dodo bird. I guess if you are smart enough and had the software you could reprogram the computer to change it.

BTW when I was on the edge of buying my coach I got a Car Fax report. Since it was a Flordia coach was worried about past hurricane/flooding damage.

The only problem with CarFax is that the information compiled is all sent in voluntarily by member dealers or independent shops. If a non-member dealer of private business repairs a blown engine, transmission failure or other repair you'll never know it happened.

Hikerdogs
2013 Winnebago Adventurer

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 04:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

how about a link? I thought that modern speedometers had a roll back indicator or perhaps the electronic ones don't? I thought that they just pulled a speedo out of a wreck with fewer miles however.
bumpy

peaches&cream

Northwest Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/12 06:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hope they each got 5 yrs. to serve. At $35,000 per year cost to taxpayers for each prisoner, we maybe should just purchase the vehicles and shoot the prisoner?

Dale.Traveling

Newport News, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/12 05:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Getting pretty hard to do with analog odometers going the way of the Dodo bird. I guess if you are smart enough and had the software you could reprogram the computer to change it.

BTW when I was on the edge of buying my coach I got a Car Fax report. Since it was a Flordia coach was worried about past hurricane/flooding damage.

2006 Hurricane 31D aka 'Moby' the Whale
FCC(SW) US Navy Retired 1980-2003
Stella my Navigator
Bogart the All American RV Dog
and
Cocoui waiting for me at the Rainbow Bridge

Kamphiker

South Florida (this 'aint paradise anymore)

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 06:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's much easier to roll back today with digital and harder to detect (no numbers misaligned etc.). With the correct software and a computer it can be done quickly and without detection.

How people get caught is when a new owner applies for a tag/registration and fill in the current millage. A DMV cross check reveals a problem.

I remember a few years ago the Fla. DMV caught used car lots (buy here/pay here type) that was using odometer rollback companies that worked out of their cars/trucks and reset the odometers to what ever the dealer wanted.

2006 Winnebago Outlook WF324V
2009 Honda CR-V 2wd TOAD ......Campgrounds in the Smoky Mountains NP
Last Camping trip ->2011 SUMMER SMOKY MOUNTAINS NATIONAL PARK

RCtime

So. Calif.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/12 07:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Brings back a memory also, in the early 50's I had an after school, weekend job at a car dealership washing the used cars, changing tires etc.
They had a tire re-groover come in and deepen the grooves in the tires, I remember when he went too deep and into the cord, he would get out his black paint and touch it up.

Ron
2002 34HD Winnebago Journey DL, Cat. 330/freightliner
2013 Honda CRV - Garmin 1490t
Great wife & Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, RIP
TT/N

SWD

Land of Living Skies

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 06:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

peaches&cream wrote:

I hope they each got 5 yrs. to serve. At $35,000 per year cost to taxpayers for each prisoner, we maybe should just purchase the vehicles and shoot the prisoner?

A tad drastic, but could deter others no doubt.

Dutch_12078

Great Sacandaga Lake, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/12 06:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I recall that back in the early 60's there was a huge car dealership in Langhorn, PA, named Reedman Chevrolet, that had a building clearly labeled "Speedometer Shop" near their private test drive road course. All of their used cars had zero mileage on them, or just a few test drive miles. They made it known to potential buyers that they reset all of the speedometers on the basis that mileage was not a good indicator of car condition. It was, and may still be, legal to reset or alter a speedometer reading in most/all states, as long as buyers are made aware of it.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Bye Bye Cheaters!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes