RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Help with securing television while traveling

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Help with securing television while traveling

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
tcoop4899

home

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/12 09:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have installed a swing arm tv mount in the bedroom and i am now looking for suggestions on how to secure it while we are towing from point "a" to point "b".Im a "handyman" type person so constructing is not a problem if necessarry. I just cant seem to get my brain to come up with any ideas. Thanks in advance for the help.

TnT Cooper
2012 Palomino Puma 25-RS
2006 F150 Supercrew

8iron

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 09:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any pics? How big is the TV and is it lcd (lighter) or Plasma (not light). How did you mount the swing arm?

2014 F350 Lariat
2011 Sunset Trail Reserve 29ss

docj

Fulltime--Home is where we park it

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/12 09:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have our living room TV mounted on a swing arm. We use an "elegant" solution consisting of brass hooks mounted to the cabinet on either side of the TV with a "designer" bungee cord hooked between them. Simple, cheap and works well.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 09:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I installed a swing arm TV mount in bedroom......then for travel I secure the TV and mount with a 1" adjustable buckle strap. Strap goes thru a simple bracket that is screwed onto bottom of cabinet and round swing arm...cinch it up...done.
Been that way for 4yrs.......travel every week. No problems.

Similar to this bracket but metal....got it at hardware store

youth4him

Belgrade, MT

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 10:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A bungee cord will do wonders, or the buckle type. You can actually do that around the arm itself in it's "folded" position. I also throw a bed pillow on the screen under the bungee on mine for extra protection.

One thing to think about, and I've learned the hard way...the force on an arm mount in a TT is tremendously more than one in a stationary room, so keep that in mind.

KD

Trip of a Lifetime Blog - 12000 Miles, 100 Days, 34 States, 4 Humans, 1 Mini Daschund...FUN!
2007 GMC Yukon XL Denali - 6.2L, 6-speed

JRS & B

Florida/Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 11:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A little late in the game for this, but Camping World does sell a locking cantilever bracket - they run about $65 for the swing arm and pull chain lock. It happens to be the exact unit that came with my trailer and it does work just fine.

Artemus Gordon

Redding California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/12 03:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I took "industrial Velcro" glued to back of TV and did the same to the wall. It's only visible on wall when we use the TV. Holds very well with added superglue for more strength. Next owner gets the TV so they should not mind. Note I used the wide Velcro.

phillyg

Front Royal, VA

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 03:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

docj wrote:

We have our living room TV mounted on a swing arm. We use an "elegant" solution consisting of brass hooks mounted to the cabinet on either side of the TV with a "designer" bungee cord hooked between them. Simple, cheap and works well.

x2, and you can also use a strip of Velcro from one hook to another.

2002 Keystone Cougar 286, 8,400lbs loaded, pulled with a 2004 F150 Supercrew, 5.4, 3.73 gears. Retired and enjoying life

Kanyonkitty

Gerrardstown, WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/12 04:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just take a strip of velcro, one side with the teeth and one side with the loops, put about 6 inches of each piece together, this will give you one long piece and attach it to the wall behind the mounting bracket (you might even be able to use the same screws), then attach the bracket. Now all you have to do is wrap the velcro around the TV and it is secure.

Deep wedgewood blue '99 7.3L PSD F-350 Super Duty crew cab long bed dually or wedgewood blue '97 F-350 7.3L PSD crew cab longbed SRW, Member: Sunlineclub.com Rescue a retired Greyhound, greyt calm low maintenance traveling companions

dewatkins

Dallas Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 04:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I take my bedroom off and lay it on my air bed has worked for me many miles never even moves. The one in the living room came with a set of plastic hooks and the web belt just unclip the snap when on site.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Help with securing television while traveling
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS