|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> FRONT HITCH MOUNTED ITEMS AND THE FORD ECOBOOST ENGINE

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Dragonfly

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 09:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had planned on putting some sort of front hitch storage on my F150 Heavy Duty. Reading the posts about various things folks mount up front, made me think that the new Ford F150 with the Ecoboost engine (which is required for the heavy duty package) sucks a lot of air. In fact with the Ecoboost, even the front license bracket is moved from center bumper to the side to allow maximum air flow to the engine. Plus, the heavy duty payload and trailering option adds a transmission cooler and other cooling enhancements. It shouldn't stop anyone from a front mount set up but, if you have an Ecoboost engine it might at least be worth a pause for thought.

DRAGONFLY - 2014, 19' Airstream Flying Cloud, towed by a Ford F-150, 4WD, extended cab, long bed, with Ecoboost engine, max payload & tow pkg, and 8200 lbs GVWR

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 03:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The reason for the license bracket being moved isn't because of the engines needs it's the ingtercooler for the trubos. for what it's worth, I'm pretty sure you can get the HD option with the 5.0 V8 also.

EDIT: I double checked and I was incorrect. It does now take the 3.5 engine.
Good luck / Skip

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Dragonfly

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 04:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Skipnchar. My truck is ordered. I got both the max payload package and the max towing package. To do so requires the Ecoboost as well as a long bed. My plan is to put a light truck camper on the truck. With 4WD and super cab, the payload is 2400 lbs. Most light truck campers I am looking at are between 1500 and 1700 lbs. They are made for short beds but, some will go on a long bed. Also, I have found a few light ones that are made specifically for long bed. I am not concerned about the air flow needs of the truck with front mounted storage. I was just noting that where ever possible, especially with front mounted gear, give the new Ecoboost system as much air as possible.

wolvereeny

SE Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/12 06:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I Wanted to put some type of mesh in front of the intercooler to protect it from stones etc. I was told by two people at FORD that mounting anything to interfere with air flow could void warranty.They also said that is why they moved the license plate bracket.

jimh425

Western WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 08:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it is that sensitive to heat, I hope it has a warning for driving in high temperatures, or driving at low speeds. I'd be shocked if that explanation is the truth. I just don't think Ford engineers are that dumb.

'10 F450 Lariat CrewCab DRW, 6.4 PSD, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, Long Bed. '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Dragonfly

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 08:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Again, don't make too much out of this. The new F150 lower grill does make allowance for moving the license from center to side when going to the Ecoboost to maximize airflow. Many vehicles have different sized grills and air scoops depending upon their needs. It isn't a big deal but, I was just reminded by this fact to be aware of airflow with anything mounted up front. I will still mount some front grill storage but when their is a choice I will allow for maximum air flow no matter what the vehicle or engine, especially in summer. On a hot summer day in the desert, the more air flow the better. I am sure no matter what though, the truck will be OK.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> FRONT HITCH MOUNTED ITEMS AND THE FORD ECOBOOST ENGINE
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS