|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Hitch and towing information needed

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
woodtic

Blackduck, MN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/12 10:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Guys,
I've been towing TT's (bumper pull) for a few years now. I'm looking into getting a FW. Don't know much about hitches, hitching, unhitching, TV set-up. I need a good compehensive guide to FW hitches and TV set-up. Anyone know a good site on the web for this kind of info?

I have a 2005 3/4 ton 4x4 chevy short bed crew cab with Duramax and Allison. I'm thinking about getting a trailer in the 8,000# - 10,000# dry weight range. I hear that a lot of slider hitches are very heavy. I'd like to be able to instal or remove the hitch by myself. Are there any hitches that weigh 100 pounds or less? Does the Sidewinder eliminate the need for a slider hitch? Do hitches sit lower or higher than the bed sides? I'd like to be able to use a roll-up tonneau cover while the hitch is in the truck bed. Will I need air bags or some other suspention modification? At what point would airbags be recccomended? I'd like to keep the truck close to level while driving. I do plan on making some long trips with it during the next few years so quallity and safety are a concern. Also the wife can be quite picky about ride quallity of the vehicle.

What should I avoid getting or doing? I don't trust any salesman to have my best intrests at heart. Any advice or links to usefull information would be appeciated.

Thanks

2005 Chevy 2500HD Duramax SBCC 4X4. EFI live, Edge Insight, AFE turbo mouth piece, Hellwig LoadPro springs, Reese R16, Hayse G2 controler
2011 Montana 3615RE. 2nd A/C, SteadyFast, Fantastic Vent covers, TST tmps, Custom rear hitch,

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 10:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

woodtic wrote:

Hi Guys,
I've been towing TT's (bumper pull) for a few years now. I'm looking into getting a FW. Don't know much about hitches, hitching, unhitching, TV set-up. I need a good compehensive guide to FW hitches and TV set-up. Anyone know a good site on the web for this kind of info?

I have a 2005 3/4 ton 4x4 chevy short bed crew cab with Duramax and Allison. I'm thinking about getting a trailer in the 8,000# - 10,000# dry weight range. I hear that a lot of slider hitches are very heavy. I'd like to be able to instal or remove the hitch by myself. Are there any hitches that weigh 100 pounds or less? If you remove the hitch head on a Reese Quick Slide, the base is probably less than 100 pounds. I was able to remove and install that in my truck by myself.

Does the Sidewinder eliminate the need for a slider hitch? Do hitches sit lower or higher than the bed sides? yes

I'd like to be able to use a roll-up tonneau cover while the hitch is in the truck bed. Will I need air bags or some other suspention modification? At what point would airbags be recccomended? I had airbags on my last truck. My trailer was about 13,000 pounds fully loaded. Really enjoyed the Firestones and they made the truck ride level.
I'd like to keep the truck close to level while driving. I do plan on making some long trips with it during the next few years so quallity and safety are a concern. Also the wife can be quite picky about ride quallity of the vehicle.

What should I avoid getting or doing? I don't trust any salesman to have my best intrests at heart. Any advice or links to usefull information would be appeciated.

Thanks

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

N3YMY

Brunswick, MD

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 10:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't use dry weights; use gvwr weights for shopping purposes.

I know of no hitch under 200 lbs, let alone 100 lbs.

Slider folk will chime in, but yes I believe the sidewinder will eliminate the need for a separate slider being one itself.

Mistake to avoid?

Don't buy too much camper; you likely have a 9200 lbs gvw tv.

It will be easy to reach that or the gawr on a 2500/250 series truck...

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/12 10:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can use the 5ver to lift the top of the hitch from your truck, just pull the pins holding it on the base and lift it out with the 5ver legs.

Glendale Titanium 29E34TS fifth wheel
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
PullRite OE Series Super5th 18K
Superbumper

woodtic

Blackduck, MN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/12 10:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

You can use the 5ver to lift the top of the hitch from your truck, just pull the pins holding it on the base and lift it out with the 5ver legs.
Is it Ok to leave that hanging on the front of the trailer for long periods?

woodtic

Blackduck, MN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/12 10:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

N3YMY wrote:

Mistake to avoid?

Good point. That leaves me about 1600# to play with. Sounds like I need to re-think things. Can't get much of a FW with only 1000# pin weight loaded.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 11:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

woodtic wrote:

agesilaus wrote:

The pin box/king pin support the trailer pin weight & towing stresses so if will most definitely support 200# hitch. Some people worry about it falling off......have to pull latch arm for that to happen which is difficult to do 'accidentally' but a small padlock on lever latch stops that mistake. Or they worry about running into it.......good grief look where you are going, the hitch hanging there is very obvious.

If uncomfortable.........lift it off with king pin/front landing gear and then sit it down on a wheeled cart to move/store.

chuggs

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/12 11:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the 15k Superglide...for industry std rails. You can remove the hitch in steps by yourself. Pull two pins and the head assembly comes out...then pull four pins and the base assembly comes out. My roll-n-lock closes over it.

The sidewinder does replace the need for a slider.

Hitching is easy...lower your tailgate and approach the kingpin...raise the rear stabilizers...adjust the kingpin height by raising/lowering the landing gear up front...make sure your release handle is pulled to open the jaws...then finish backing up to connect. Trailer Wheels chocked for the operation. Inspect your jaws...lock the release handle with a padlock...connect the breakaway...connect the 7-pin plug...raise the tailgate...raise the landing gear...do a walk around inspection...make sure everything is ready (antenna)...lastly pull the clocks...check torque and tire pressure...lights and mirrors...and you're off to the races. I have a self adhesive level on the front and side of the 5th wheel...I just make a mental note af the angle when I disconnect...it makes it easy to adjust the height again when I'm ready to hookup again. Your hitch manual will come with some type of instructions to help you thru the first time.

Don't forget to lower the tailgate when you unhitched...makes it difficult to pull away. Some people recommend a tug test before raising the gear to make sure your hooked up completely...I just visually inspect the locking mechanism.

I have a light weight 5th wheel ...I only wish that mine had the prep for a second a/c unit...because its so hot in FL during the summer...and 16" wheels for a better selection of replacement tires. We're having a great time with it...just over 12,000 miles...and 109 night spent in it over the last 19 months. Wish that I could retire soon...we'd use it even more!

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 11:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

woodtic wrote:

N3YMY wrote:

Mistake to avoid?

Good point. That leaves me about 1600# to play with. Sounds like I need to re-think things. Can't get much of a FW with only 1000# pin weight loaded.

Weigh your truck loaded up ready to go camping......you, passenger(s), pets, full fuel tank and any stuff you would carry in truck......add 200# for hitch.......take that actual weight and subtract it from your GVWR......that will be the payload you have for pin weight (paying attention to RAWR/Tire Load Rating). Using 20% of 5'vr GVWR will give you a real good idea on what size 5'vr you can comfortably handle.

woodtic

Blackduck, MN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/12 11:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

woodtic wrote:

agesilaus wrote:

The pin box/king pin support the trailer pin weight & towing stresses so if will most definitely support 200# hitch. Some people worry about it falling off......have to pull latch arm for that to happen which is difficult to do 'accidentally' but a small padlock on lever latch stops that mistake. Or they worry about running into it.......good grief look where you are going, the hitch hanging there is very obvious.
Sounds like an excelent option and easy to do.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Hitch and towing information needed
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS