|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> full time camper cost

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
dshanks

alberta

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 10:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I recently bought a 32' forest river and i seriously thinking of moving in full time,Im just curious about costs i know this will very depending on where you setup shop type of speak but my main conserns are
1 ruffly how much propane ill be going through
2 how long will it take to fill black holding ?tanks etc.
3 satalite costs
im sure there is more i was going to add but cant recall if theres somthing you can add feel free
year round sites around my area run $500mnth w/water & power
$600mnth water,power &sewer so I wont have to worry about running my gen 24hrs a day so atleast that cost is out of the picture

skylos

Columbus, OH

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 11:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In alberta. Heating is porportional to degree days.

[img]http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/sag6443/$FILE/onl_s_10_twp_annual_normals_19712000.gif

So how much does a degree day cost in propane? You'd have to calibrate actual usage against the interior/exterior temperature differential.

I'd say the $100 a month is worth not having to worry about the black tank, but it'll probably be fine every week or so, if you take water-economical showers.

I'd say that the cost of propane in Alberta is going to be rather high... maybe another 500 or more a month in the winter, but none at all to speak of in the summer.

If you have power included for free, you might be able to add an electric augmenter to your heating system that will lower the amount of propane you need to consume.

Also, turning off when not using (or going to a tankless model) of water heater can save a bunch of propane when its cold.

dshanks

alberta

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 12:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thanks for the info the summers like you say we will probably never be running the furnace maybe just a small elec. one as power is incl. in lot renal price but as for winter it gets fairly cold average -15 but can get down to -30 in later winter months soyes i can imaging it will be rather high for propane but witha few elec. furnaces im hoping it will keep the chill off and of course you the trailer furnace as needed,I will look into these tankless units would you be able to tell me were on the net i could find stuff like that?also looking for tank & elbow heaters along with heated water hoses skirting and so on just so im prepared for next winter and not rushing around toget these types of things done.

Eycom

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 02:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Being from Florida, I try to stay out of the cold. But, unexpectedly, stuff happens. About 6 years ago, while working the area, I had to dry-dock in the suburbs of Buffalo, NY during the 'October Surprise'. A storm came in off Lake Erie and dropped a lot of wet snow on the trees with leaves, thus bringing down limbs onto power lines all over Erie County. It took 4 full days to get power back on in my area. People who live there are a hearty bunch.

My camper is 19' and 4 season. Went thru one 30# tank (from $19 to $31 in US) in four days for everything; heat, hot water, cooking, 3600 LP generator for a few hours a day to recharge 2 GRP 27 bats and micro-wave use. Didn't miss much. Had Sat tv, cell phone and internet access with an air card. Gets boring sitting around for four days, not knowing when the power is going to be reconnected. But there were many that endured much longer with far less amenities. I'm just thankful I was self contained.

RVn Full-time

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 02:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

$600 month water/electric/sewer..

Run your water heater on electric
run your fridge on electric
Propane only for furnace and stove/oven.....have gone for 4-6 weeks on 40# summer time and 48 hrs. winter time.

Waste tanks.......dump black (50 gallon) and grey (70 gallon) every 7 days as that is travel day (FT'ers 2 adults) If black tank is not full I'll add water until it is on dump day so I get a good rapid flush of solids out of tank.

Satellite.......don't have. Just OTA TV via antenna. Get what we get, if nothing OK.

Check out the two sections at top of this forum (Worksheet and Winter Camping)

dshanks

alberta

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 06:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

600 mnth incld water unlimited power sewer and no we don't pay day the day
this is a small family owned camp site don't know if bigger city run sites make you pay extra for power and how would they know how much your using I doubt there's meters on ea site

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 08:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dshanks wrote:

600 mnth incld water unlimited power sewer and no we don't pay day the day
this is a small family owned camp site don't know if bigger city run sites make you pay extra for power and how would they know how much your using I doubt there's meters on ea site

Yes ..some private owned CG's have meters on the power pedestals. Read the meter when you check in/out for weekly & monthly rates.

$XXX per week/month (water-sewer) plus electric. is common.
When you find one that includes all it's usually more $$ per week/month.
Newer CG's are going to individual meters as are CG's that do upgrades.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> full time camper cost
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS