RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Pulling a Fifth wheel with f150 supercrew

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Pulling a Fifth wheel with f150 supercrew

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
rattleNsmoke

Western Conn.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/12 06:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Agreed on that point N3YMY. It's also always better to have too much truck than way too little. I'm perty much in the same predicament. I find myself using the F350 as my daily driver and the fuel bills are hefty. If it was warmer, I'd be riding the Hog. As much as I'll hate it, a fuel efficient lil' cracker box car is in my future.
Mike

2010 Cedar Creek 34SATS (The Beast) & 20k Curt Q20 roller slider hitch
2006 Ford F350 SRW,SC Powerstroke diesel Lariat

2003 Harley Heritage Softail (Hogzilla)
and a wifey with tons of patience....

stampede08

all over

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 06:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would simply keep what you have for towing and look for a car to beat around in. I don't see how buying a diesel or a new half ton is gonna save ya much. Just my two cents worth.

2012 Keystone Laredo 275 SBH (5er)
2008 Palomino Stampede (Hybrid TT - sold)
2006 Dodge 2500 Mega-cab w/Hemi
Home is in western Wisconsin...

stampede08

all over

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 06:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would simply keep what you have for towing and look for a car to beat around in. I don't see how buying a diesel or a new half ton is gonna save ya much. Just my two cents worth.

stampede08

all over

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 06:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SuperDutyMan

Western PA.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/12 07:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bmf123 wrote:

Thanks for replies. I kind of figured that but i am only into this pulling stuff the last couple years i owned a motorhome before that and im no truck enginier. i Know i dont need no dually! I have a v10 with 4.10 and that is way more then enough but like i said i was looking for better gas mileage. anyone know any way to improve gas mileage when not towing?
Go to the V-10 section of the Ford truck forum,to get some tune up and programer tips for your V-10,My '06 V-10 6spd stick 4.10 Super Duty ,gets 14-15mpg on the highway at 60-65mph and 8.7-9.2 pulling my 11,200 lb 5ver,that's only 1-3 mpg less than alot of the diesels,(especially the new ones)I'm sure you can't justify a 6500.00 diesel option on a $50,000 truck for the small milage difference of a well tuned V-10,being that you already have it,and it pulls your 5ver just fine,JMO

2011 Palomino Sabre 31RETS,5th Wheel,Triple Slide,4000W Onan Genset
2006 Super Duty,XLT, V10, 6 Speed, 4.10, Tow Command, Tow Pkg. 4X4,Dual Exhaust,K&N,Reese 15K,Air Bags

jalichty

Lander, Wyoming 82520

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/12 07:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The best way to get more mileage would be to buy a Prius, I can't believe I said that!!!

John A. Lichty

WeBeFulltimers

Here & There

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/12 06:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

silvercorvette wrote:

jalichty wrote:

The best way to get more mileage would be to buy a Prius, I can't believe I said that!!!

I own a Volt, put a Prius next to a Volt and the Prius looks like a Gas guzzler, my worst milage in the Volt was 65 MPG on a trip to NY My best was well over 1,400 MPG. I keep my Dodge diesel parked unless I need to haul something. The past 2 weeks i drove 500 miles in my Volt without using a drop of gas.

And the list price for the VOLT ?

2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW ** B & W PATRIOT** 2012 MONTANA 3585SA

richfaa

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 07:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dually.Maybe Maybe not Pin weight, Pin weight,pin weight.Tire load capacity, tire load capacity,Tire load capacity. the dry pin weight means nothing .He can not know that till weighed. A fifth wheel with a GVWR of 13,165 can have a actual pin weight of 2700lbs or more.

BTW a SRW one ton truck is not a 3/4 ton. You are getting some real bad information here and a couple of correct cautions. Do your own homework.Learn the ratings and spec's. Do the numbers./

2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky. 08 Ford F-350 6.4L

silvercorvette

Anderson SC

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 08:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jalichty wrote:

I own a Volt, put a Prius next to a Volt and the Prius looks like a Gas guzzler, my worst milage in the Volt was 65 MPG on a trip to NY My best was well over 1,400 MPG. I keep my Dodge diesel parked unless I need to haul something. The past 2 weeks i drove 500 miles in my Volt without using a drop of gas.

2010 Dodge 409 CI diesel long bed dually crew cab B&W hitch, 95 Gallon Auxiliary Transfer Fuel Tank, pulling a 33 foot Holiday Rambler Alumascape suite, Winegard SK-3005 TRAV'LER , Central vac, Splendide 2100 XC washer dryer, Rotochoks, TST Tire monitor.

Lowsuv

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 08:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Add me to the camp that says keep your current rig.
Because F 250's have bigger brakes, bigger tires, and a bigger frame they will outlast an F 150 even in non towing highway conditions.
The fuel is more. But the brakes last 1.5 times as long. The tranny has a bigger cooler and it lasts 1.5 times as long. The tires are Load Range E in a bigger diameter and they last 1.5 times as long.
My 2002 Duramax I bought new has the following items I bought right away:
Snug Top Canopy: $ 2000 ? Aftermarket stereo: $ 1500? Running Boards : $ 300 , Weld Polished Aluminum Wheels $ 1500 ? Bigger Michelin Tires: $ 900? , Bedliner: $ 300, Brake Controller: $ 200? , Fancy Floor mats $ 50.
If I sell and get a new pickup I lose a ton on those $ 6,750 worth of aftermarket stuff I have come to enjoy.
I encourage you to stay with your current rig for this reason. If you want better mileage buy yourself a Miata and have some fun. I bought a Porsche !

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Pulling a Fifth wheel with f150 supercrew
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS