|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> Limited to 6 people around our fire

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Us out West

Let's see...last night we stayed in......

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/12 12:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

old guy wrote:

we've had twenty or so around our campfire at one time. so far so good. no new rules this year.

Depends on where you're at doesn't it?

When our Club goes out, once a month and usually 10-12 rigs, we try and pick a CG that has an area for a group to gather. Lot of places will have a place for this including grills, indoor meeting area and more.

All you have to do is be aware of CG rules and abide by them. If you can't then it's on you.

Pretty simple!!

Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)

36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

SteveRuff

Bacliff, Texas, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/12 07:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

westernrvparkowner wrote:

PackerBacker wrote:

The more I think about this, the dumber it sounds to me.

We used to tent camp with two other families; 6 adults and 9 kids. We would get 3 campsites together and would do most things together such as meals, games and of course, campfires. It would be pretty lame- brain for a campground to insist that we not do this. I simply do not understand the rationale nor would I ever believe that it is an insurance issue.

I just can't believe that a campground would be that stupid.
Just where would you draw the line if the group was next to you? 20, 40, 100, 500? It doesn't really matter if the park had 100 sites and 99 of them were at the party, person 100 also paid and has an expectation of a normal campground experience, and a giant party is not a normal expectation. A good business takes the concerns of everyone into consideration and doesn't put it up for a vote. There is a big difference between three families getting together for dinner and 40 people gathering at a bonfire for an evening party. That kind of a gathering won't happen at my parks, so I guess that makes me stupid.

Last summer I was given the responsibility of being the security as one of my work camper duties. This was at a KOA that was considered a "destination" park in that most people came and stayed right there. There was a faction who used it as a base to explore the area as well, but the majority were locals who came on holidays and weekends to use the facilities, mainly the pool, although the jumping pillow and the various offerings such as movies, craft classes, tie dyeing etc. were also popular for the kids. This was often a nightmare for me, as neighbors and families would book 4 or 5 sites then set up tables at one. The parties started early and continued all day long. I don't care how responsible you think you are being, when there are 20 or 30 people in one site, with a few kids sprinked in, the noise level is tremendous. When alcohol is added to the mix good manners and good sense sometimes gets pushed to the back. People seemed to adopt a sense of entitlement. No matter how nicely I asked or reminded them that the 10:00 o'clock quiet time was in effect it was clear they felt they had paid for the site and they didn't have to obey the rules. I found 4 and 5 year old kids wandering around the park at 1:00 and 2:00 in the morning unsupervised and without a clue what their campsite number was. It seemed the parents had decided we were responsible for their kids during their stay with us.

All of them? No, of course not. Most were very nice, pleasant, and responsible. But there were almost always one or two groups like that (we called them Hotspots) every weekend and that made it very difficult for everyone else. As for me, how was I supposed to ask a mildly noisy group of 6 or 8 to please hold it down when they could point to the large group that could be heard all over the campground and ask why I wasn't making them be quiet? It made no difference that I had asked them repeatedly and they had agreed and were very quiet until my golf cart lights disappeared.

This is another case of those of us with sweet, well trained dogs who never get aggresive, whine or bark, and are always picked up after, having to abide by leash rules and clean-up rules because of others being less considerate. Frankly folks, if everyone always did what they were supposed to there would be no need for laws and rules. westernrvparkowner has it right IMHO.

If you are camping in the desert at Quartzsite where there are no established boundaries and you are free to move anywhere you wish, go for it and have fun all night. If I don't like it I can move. But if I have paid for a site next to yours and we are locked into that site we both have a responsibility to each other and to the campground.

Both retired. Travel with Nicky the Schnoodle. Son graduated and is teaching high school math. We still love our 2006 34' Allegro Bay XB and have 50,000+ miles on her.

BigDaddyHfx

Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/12 07:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with most people who have posted and would not want to camp near a nightly party site. We like to camp during the week when the provincial park we love is usually only 1/3 full. We don't really like to hear or see anyone else. However we fully support anyone's right to socialize as long as it doesn't enfringe on someone else's right to peace and quiet.

1waybro

Cherry Hill, NJ

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 07:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If campground has rules then abide by them. Rules are made for the enjoyment of the campground by all paying customers. Quiet time should be enforced and adhered. Having a cocktail hour(s) with 40 close and personal friends seems a tab large for normal size campsite. However, I would not be opposed to a neighbor inviting me over for a group gathering for one beverage and an appetizer/snack for say an hour. If the gathering was longer or was leaning to an "allnighter" then I would have an issue. If I wanted solitude, why would I go to park with sites together with the expectation of peace and quiet during the day?

2003 Southwind 36RS Workhorse Chassis
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Deb and Ed M

SW MI, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 07:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PackerBacker wrote:

I've heard of some crazy rules in all my time camping but this one is really bizarre.

I disagree - it seems perfectly sensible to limit "guests".

They use the resources of the campground without paying
20 to 30 cars need to be parked *somewhere*
They can't be "penalized" with the threat to lose their campsite
No matter how nice the folks in the group are - they ARE going to make noise that can possibly disturb paying customers (and hence the new regulation)

And the obvious solution?? The Rivertails attendees need to rent a campsite. Problem solved.

PackerBacker

Montreal (Qc) Adirondacks (NY) Myrtle Beach (SC)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/12 08:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Deb and Ed M wrote:

PackerBacker wrote:

I've heard of some crazy rules in all my time camping but this one is really bizarre.

I disagree - it seems perfectly sensible to limit "guests".

They use the resources of the campground without paying
20 to 30 cars need to be parked *somewhere*
They can't be "penalized" with the threat to lose their campsite
No matter how nice the folks in the group are - they ARE going to make noise that can possibly disturb paying customers (and hence the new regulation)

And the obvious solution?? The Rivertails attendees need to rent a campsite. Problem solved.

I believe you taking it out of context with the rest of the post. The thing that I would find bizarre is not being able to sit around the campfire with my neighbors because we might go over the 'six person' rule.

I'm talking about what was inferred in the title of the thread. I'm not saying that very large groups, i.e. 30-40 people, should automatically be tolerated. My objection is to a rule that would prevent a couple of families camping together and sitting around a campfire together.

Isn't that what camping is all about?

... Eric

mayo30

Up here in the cold,cold north.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/12 09:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You have to wonder why the new policy was initiated at all,maybe because of the situation last year.I agree that 6 is a small number but why was it set--again.How many people can you honestly carry on a conversation with at one time?Westernparkowner has a good grasp through experience and understanding also.I love a party but also think the better place for one is probably not in a confined RV park.

huskerwife

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/12 09:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

westernrvparkowner wrote:

PackerBacker wrote:

The more I think about this, the dumber it sounds to me.

We used to tent camp with two other families; 6 adults and 9 kids. We would get 3 campsites together and would do most things together such as meals, games and of course, campfires. It would be pretty lame- brain for a campground to insist that we not do this. I simply do not understand the rationale nor would I ever believe that it is an insurance issue.

I just can't believe that a campground would be that stupid.
Just where would you draw the line if the group was next to you? 20, 40, 100, 500? It doesn't really matter if the park had 100 sites and 99 of them were at the party, person 100 also paid and has an expectation of a normal campground experience, and a giant party is not a normal expectation. A good business takes the concerns of everyone into consideration and doesn't put it up for a vote. There is a big difference between three families getting together for dinner and 40 people gathering at a bonfire for an evening party. That kind of a gathering won't happen at my parks, so I guess that makes me stupid.

Thank you, CG operator...........40 people drinking, eating, laughing and talking next to, or close to my camping space??????????? Incredible that anyone rational person would think that was being considerate of their neighbors...

We don't drink...that's just our choice..and yes, most people do..

Thank goodness our winter CG either has a 6 person limit, or the people have some consideration for others....I have never seen more than 6 sharing drinks at their happy hour...

Even so..6 people talking loudly, often at the same time, with a lot of laughter can be loud.......I can only imagine more people than that..

What has happened to old-fashioned common sense in respecting the space and environment (quiet) of others? God grant that we are never so unfortunate as to camp by such people.

PackerBacker

Montreal (Qc) Adirondacks (NY) Myrtle Beach (SC)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/12 09:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess it all comes down to common sense.

Randu

South Central Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/12 09:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

crabbin cabin wrote:

Liriope wrote:

Sounds like a rule I would endorse. I have camped next to a site where they had lots of guest. It was not fun. Your group may be different. However, you must understands the camp owners position. If they allow your group, BY LAW they must allow any large guest group or it would be discriminating.Trust me, not all groups are equal in noise.

I wish every campground would endorse this policy. One does not go camping to have 40 people parting next to them.

Yes, yes and hooray for this thought. And Randu - I sure hope your group never 'parties' next to me. In our Park a group like that will be invited to the patio area around one or another of the pools - away from other guests.

Our group is all near or over 50 and very well behaved. We do not "party", we all have a common intrest (camping) and discuss many things from the world to how to pack bearings. We usually pick a central campsite so by default we are not gathering next to someoue outside our group. We are all hard working people who are usually breaking up at 9:30 or 10:00 so well before most campground quiet hours. Many have posted that generally groups are bad. I would rather be part of a well mannered group than camped next to a site with 4 teenagers blaring the music and fighting among themselfs. I also don't want to camp next to the diesel pusher guy that starts his rig 1 hour before he leaves so I have to listen to the noise and sniff the diesel fumes.

There are many things that disturb others but we are all campers and should all try to be conseridate and respectful of each other.

I don't have the answer to issues with groups but a outright ban through rules is not a good answer. I can't count the times that my wife and I were just on our own out for a walk and started a conversation with a stranger who then invited us to join them at the fire. Met many very good people while camping and somtimes 6 strangers around a fire grow to be 10 friends as others join in. Randu

2014 Chevy 3500HD SRW Crew LTZ
LB,4x4,Duramax
2008 Mobile Suites 36TK3

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> Limited to 6 people around our fire
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts