|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> Limited to 6 people around our fire

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
paulcardoza

Southeastern Massachusetts

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/12 01:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It doesn't take a lot of common sense to realize that a 6 persons limit is R E D I C U L O U S........

cvtl wrote:

Last year and this we started something we call "Rivertails". We camp on the Suwannee river. Every Friday night at 5 we invite all to come to our site, bring a chair, an appetizer and whatever they are drinking and sit around our campfire. It has been very successful, one time last year we had 40. Everyone says it makes them feel welcome. They comment about what a friendly campground this is. This year we have a new "social director". We have now been told we cannot have Rivertails because of a new regulation that took effect March 1`. The regulation states that there can be no more than 6 guests on any site. Not campers, guests. We were told it was an insurance regulation, but when I asked to see it, the owner told me I couldn't. We are camping in Florida. Has anyone else heard of this regulation?
Carol L.

Paul & Sandra
New Bedford, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

huskerwife

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/12 04:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

paulcardoza wrote:

It doesn't take a lot of common sense to realize that a 6 persons limit is R E D I C U L O U S........

cvtl wrote:

Last year and this we started something we call "Rivertails". We camp on the Suwannee river. Every Friday night at 5 we invite all to come to our site, bring a chair, an appetizer and whatever they are drinking and sit around our campfire. It has been very successful, one time last year we had 40. Everyone says it makes them feel welcome. They comment about what a friendly campground this is. This year we have a new "social director". We have now been told we cannot have Rivertails because of a new regulation that took effect March 1`. The regulation states that there can be no more than 6 guests on any site. Not campers, guests. We were told it was an insurance regulation, but when I asked to see it, the owner told me I couldn't. We are camping in Florida. Has anyone else heard of this regulation?
Carol L.

The OP spoke not of a limit of 6 people, but 6 guests, in addition to the subject RV...so 8-10 people perhaps max..

How many people do you think should be allowed to congregate around a campfire?

Let me tell you that 6 or more people who have had a couple drinks, and are enjoying the time can be quite loud, with their talking and laughing...I think most people who are camping nearby can be tolerant with that noise if it is limited to a 1 hour "happy" period.....but, imposing more than that number of people who are noisy on your neighbors beyond that one hour is completely inconsiderate.

Gather at a pavillion......stay away from your neighbors campsites...please...it's only being considerate.

* This post was edited 03/05/12 09:26pm by huskerwife *

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/12 11:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mayo30 wrote:

johntank wrote:

JesLookin wrote:

It's a campground rule. Live with it or move on. The campground is not obligated to prove anything to anybody.

If it is the campground rule why would the owner not let him see it or have it posted. Hear say does not make it so, evern if it's from the owner in my book.

It really doesn't matter if it is written or not,is seeing it on paper
going to make it more official

IF the manager says it is an insurance rule, and it isn't, he is a LIAR!
I don't like being lied to!
If it is a rule he just made up to fit the occasion, then be honest and SAY SO!
Then, I will go elsewhere.
Why would I go elsewhere? Because if we had a FAMILY gathering, and everybody came, there would be DW and I, 7 kids, 5 DIL/SIL, 13 grandchildren, and a couple of great-grandchildren. And the management is going to tell us we can't all get together at our Tioga?
Right. Down the road we go!

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Toad 1: '06 PT Cruiser, Kar Kaddy dolly
Toy (and Toad 2): 2001 Dodge QC SWB, 360 Magnum, Auto, 4X4
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Deb and Ed M

SW MI, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/12 10:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PackerBacker wrote:

I believe you taking it out of context with the rest of the post. The thing that I would find bizarre is not being able to sit around the campfire with my neighbors because we might go over the 'six person' rule.

I'm talking about what was inferred in the title of the thread. I'm not saying that very large groups, i.e. 30-40 people, should automatically be tolerated. My objection is to a rule that would prevent a couple of families camping together and sitting around a campfire together.

Isn't that what camping is all about?

... Eric

Hi Eric - according to the OP, the campground rule said no more than 6 GUESTS (I interpret that to mean non-campers?) Good heavens - if they limited the number of CAMPERS gathered - MY family would be in serious trouble because there's usually about 20-25 who enjoy a weekend together....LOL!! But we're all campers - no "guests".

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/12 11:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mowermech wrote:

mayo30 wrote:

johntank wrote:

JesLookin wrote:

It's a campground rule. Live with it or move on. The campground is not obligated to prove anything to anybody.

If it is the campground rule why would the owner not let him see it or have it posted. Hear say does not make it so, evern if it's from the owner in my book.

It really doesn't matter if it is written or not,is seeing it on paper
going to make it more official

IF the manager says it is an insurance rule, and it isn't, he is a LIAR!
I don't like being lied to!
If it is a rule he just made up to fit the occasion, then be honest and SAY SO!
Then, I will go elsewhere.
Why would I go elsewhere? Because if we had a FAMILY gathering, and everybody came, there would be DW and I, 7 kids, 5 DIL/SIL, 13 grandchildren, and a couple of great-grandchildren. And the management is going to tell us we can't all get together at our Tioga?
Right. Down the road we go!
In many places, your gathering of 30 people in a single site would be incredibly intrusive to other nearby campers. I know you chose where you camp carefully enough that you wouldn't infringe upon others, but not everyone is as conscientous. Such a gathering would not be appropriate or allowed at my parks, they are not designed for such gatherings and we would tell you that if we were informed about your intentions before you arrived. It may very well be an insurance issue that is not spelled out verbatum in the insurance documents since all insurance requires the insured to take reasonable precautions to prevent dangerous situations. Perhaps the owner felt that having 40 people drinking around a large fire was dangerous and ending that practice was a reasonable precaution. I know we are subjected to surprise inspections by our insurance provider and can have our policies revoked if they find something they feel is negligent and creating a hazard. It is the insured responsibility to be pro-active to prevent and eliminate hazards.

armyeng

Yelm Wa

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/12 07:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would have to say, that IMO your thinking should go 180 degrees.
I understand people wanting to relax, and enjoy peace and quiet. There are time that this is what I want to. When I want that I head off to an area where other people are not around (boondocking). At other times when wanting to be around others, then campground it is.
I personally would never think there was anything wrong with a group congregating around a campfire and socializing, when they are in a campground, which is a social setting (as much as some people seem to want it not to be). A loud obnoxious party would be one thing, but what the OP has described doesnt sound like that to me. Just people socializing by a campfire. I see nothing wrong with that at all.
If you want your neighbors to camp the exact way you do, and conform to what you think their camping activities should be, then the simple answer to that is go where you have no camping neighbors, and there will be no problem.

huskerwife wrote:

paulcardoza wrote:

cvtl wrote:

Carol L.

The OP spoke not of a limit of 6 people, but 6 guests, in addition to the subject RV...so 8-10 people perhaps max..

Let me tell you that 6 or more people who have had a couple drinks, and are enjoying the time can be quite loud, with their talking and laughing...I think most people who are camping nearby can be tolerant with that noise if it is limited to a 1 hour "happy" period.....but, imposing more than that number of people who are noisy on your neighbors beyond that one hour is completely inconsiderate.

Gather at a pavillion......stay away from your neighbors campsites...please...it's only being considerate.

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/12 01:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey, westernrvparkowner, come to the Glacier Waterton Hamfest at Glacier Meadows RV park, July 20-22.
There you will see over 250 RVs getting together, and several hundred people gathering around campfires, having a tailgate flea-market, drinking "adult beverages", burning steaks and hotdogs and chicken during the BBQ night, and all kinds of other activities.
There will be ATVs running around, and Jeeps, and trucks, etc. I don't remember any golf cars, though.
What you will NOT see, or hear, is any complaints about generators, or music, or too many people. There is no "10 year rule". It is simply a gathering of amateur radio operators from the U.S. and Canada just for the fun of it. It has been at that campground every year since 1958!
Apparently, the owner and managers have no problem with it at all!
If I go, I will be in the meadow back along the tree line somewhere.

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/12 02:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mowermech wrote:

Hey, westernrvparkowner, come to the Glacier Waterton Hamfest at Glacier Meadows RV park, July 20-22.
There you will see over 250 RVs getting together, and several hundred people gathering around campfires, having a tailgate flea-market, drinking "adult beverages", burning steaks and hotdogs and chicken during the BBQ night, and all kinds of other activities.
There will be ATVs running around, and Jeeps, and trucks, etc. I don't remember any golf cars, though.
What you will NOT see, or hear, is any complaints about generators, or music, or too many people. There is no "10 year rule". It is simply a gathering of amateur radio operators from the U.S. and Canada just for the fun of it. It has been at that campground every year since 1958!
Apparently, the owner and managers have no problem with it at all!
If I go, I will be in the meadow back along the tree line somewhere.
Sounds like a great time. But don't you think the park would owe it to a guest who was making a reservation during that time period to visit Glacier Park and have a quiet place to stay after a day of touring the information that your gathering is going on at the park during those days? I just feel that providing that sort of information is an obligation the park has, be it your gathering, bike week around Sturgis and the Black Hills, or any other gathering that is out of the norm for the area. If you and your group showed up unannounced and unplanned for, the gathering would be inappropriate. It would be a bother to the other guests and I would fully expect them to demand refunds if the party wasn't shut down immediately.

paulcardoza

Southeastern Massachusetts

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/12 01:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It never ceases to amaze me how people purposely go to a CG, park within 50ft of at least 4 other families, then complain that everyone doesn't conduct themselves the way this person expects them to! IMO, people who think this way should be boondocking, or camping in their own back yard. I have no problem with neighbors gathering and raising a bit of a ruckus, within the quiet hours rules of the CG. It's everyone's right to enjoy themselves however they see fit as they are paying for their site, just as you are paying for yours. You have no right to dictate how others enjoy their time at the CG....

huskerwife wrote:

paulcardoza wrote:

cvtl wrote:

Carol L.

jw of 4 corners

Rhode Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/12 03:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As a former campground owner and now a regular camper I can see both sides. Your group is what most owners would want to put in a site more secluded or designated for groups, so that you are less likely to disturb those around you. That may not be an option for the owner and It may be that like most groups that show up as a group of friends and not an organization: no one is in control or responsible for making sure the group respects the rights of the other campers to enjoy the facities. I think the owner was just trying to find a way to control the situation that may have in the past been a problem.

Have Fiver will travel with little or no notice at all. I do need to stop at rest areas now and then

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> Limited to 6 people around our fire
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS