RV.Net Open Roads Forum: How big of a camper can we buy and still fit at state parks

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> How big of a camper can we buy and still fit at state parks

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
JEDinWI

West Allis, WI

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 04:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Newby here... We are looking to buy our first TT and are concerned about the size. We camp at Peninsual State Park in WI for the most part. We almost pulled the trigger on a 36' KZ Spree but got cold feet and road tripped up to the park (3 hours away) to look at the site. We used pylons to lay out where the trailer would fit, and it would but we wouldnt be able to use the fire pit. So we bailed. The park says a 50' rig could go there but does anyone have any real world suggestions on what size we should stay with? Our TV is a 2500 Dodge Ram. We are a family of two adults and two teens, 4 kayaks and 4 bikes. Thanks for the help.

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 04:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Stay in the 25 foot range and you will be able to get into most any park you like. Anything more and you start limiting yourself. Remember it is not always the pad length it is about being able to back into some sites. Plus road ways can be narrow and turns can be tight.

Don,Lorri,Max (The Rescue Flat Coat Retriever?)
Resident Dummy.

Finally Fulltiming

Summer: NYS Finger Lakes; Winter: Someplace warm

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/12 04:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry, but that's an impossible question. State parks are not all alike. You'd have to search every state & every park for the answer.

My suggestion is find a TT that fits your family and can accommodate your "stuff". Then select parks where you can fit.

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 05:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I love these questions about length. Buy a 20' as it will fit everywhere and you will be camping by yourself as the kids will not wat to go with you. That will leave more sites for my 42'. Buy more RV than you think youl need, ONE TIME. Because of BS answers to this question I started with a 36' DP, but it did not take very long to realize I could find sites big enough for a 40' and heck if a 40' will fit, then a 42' will fit. We boondock a lot and yes on Friday afternoon it will be harder to find a site with a bigger rig. This SP only has one site? Has to be one you can reserve that is big enough for the rig that fits your family.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

04 Monaco Dynasty 42' quad slide
Where am I?
How I tow.

LynnandCarol

Fieldon, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/12 05:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have 31 ft TT and have only once had to find another campground. The park was a very small city park Old and on the bluffs overlooking Lake Superior. Nearly had to cut down a tree just to get out of there. I agree with the first poster, 24 or 25 ft will get you into all those small federal parks that we wont even try.

downtheroad

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 05:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oregon and Washington State Parks will accommodate most any size. We have a 31 footer and have never had a problem. I have seen some monster motor homes parked next to us..

National Park campgrounds tend to be older and tighter as are Calif. State Parks.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."
GMC Duramax LBZ
Komfort
Reese Dual Cam HP
Our Rig Picture...CLICK HERE

Son of Norway

Denver, Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/12 05:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree on the size issue. I think its a good idea to err on the big size rather than the small. You can always disconnect your car and park it at an angle towards your trailer. By the way, I'm from Racine, and Peninsula State Park was one of my favorites.

Miles

Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO

MNtundraRet

Bloomington, MN

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 05:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sites in most state and national parks are based on the total length of rig (trailer plus tow-vehicle. If you bought that trailer you would have been about 55 feet long.

Thing to remember is that while many parks may have some sites up to around 70 feet, most are smaller. With a 30 foot motor-home we fit almost all sites in a park (similar to popup and tow-vehicle). When we had a 30 foot trailer and pickup we would be told the park was full many times since we might not have fit about 50% of the sites in the park.

Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

JesLookin

Appleton,WI

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 05:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We camp in a few Wisconsin state parks and our current 5er is 33 feet long. I feel it is a little too long to fit in some of the places we would like to go. Our next one will be a maximum of 30 feet, probably in 28 foot range.

2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2003 Dodge 2500 Diesel, quad cab, short bed

linnemj

Northern Mississippi

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/12 05:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A larger trailer may mean you have to make more reservations at state parks to get a site that accommodates your trailer. We have a 30' Toy hauler travel trailer. That means we have to unload our motorcycles before we back into a site. With a 30' trailer and the same truck you have, we usually can find a spot.

As others have said, buy the trailer that best meets your needs.

We stayed a week at Peninsula State Park years ago when the kids were small and have fond memories.

Best of luck in your decision and happy camping.

Jim & Nicky
2012 Forest River XLR MBV 29
2010 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
Motorcycles!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> How big of a camper can we buy and still fit at state parks
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts