RV.Net Open Roads Forum: How big of a camper can we buy and still fit at state parks

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> How big of a camper can we buy and still fit at state parks

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
kapnkirk

Jacksonville Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/12 05:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We camp a lot in Georgia and Florida state parks and I think I remember the only restriction was over 30 ft in just a couple, I just put a down payment on a Outback that is 31 ft 10 inch's, but the model number is 279RB so I am gonna answer she is 29 foot long if asked, I can't remember any problem getting into any spot with our old 27 foot 5ver, except maybe that mountain goat residence at the top of Georgia, don't remember name right now but if I see it I do and find another campground lol.

Like as has been said, just find a RV you both like and you can't go wrong, My other half quit camping and so I traded my Sunnybrook 5ver for a Lance Truck Camper and I was the only resident in her, then all of a sudden she says she wants another RV but not a TC, go figure, so we Found the Outback TT we both liked and can't wait for her to be delivered, Good Luck with your search, there are a lot of good ones now.

Keith

rfryer

Phoenix

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/12 06:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Where you want to camp is the critical element in choosing size. If you stay in commercial parks the sky’s the limit. But if you want to camp in the more pristine areas of the national forests you’re best to stay under 20’. Everything else falls somewhere in between. Space is nice parked, but it’s what you have to trade off for the ability to maneuver the more undeveloped areas. If you don’t dry camp and want hookups everywhere, you’ll be looking mostly at commercial and state parks and a very few highly developed national park campgrounds. Personally, I wouldn’t go over 30’ for state parks. Many will take much bigger rigs, but some are limited to 30’ and some you won’t be able to get into.

I agree that 25’ is a good compromise size for getting into most campgrounds. For the most part you’ll be limited to not far from the pavement in the national forests but you should be able to get into the more accessible ones. Of course that will likely be dry camping, but that’s not a bad thing, it raises your option of campgrounds exponentially.

I sure wouldn’t base the purchase of an expensive TT on what fits one campground. Once you get into it you’ll want to travel and the variance among regions of the country and campgrounds can be substantial. There have been a number of recent discussions on this recently and if you do a search you can get more information on your question.

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 06:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are some SP that my 22' would have a hard time fitting.. For where we go most often, a 35' TT would be a tight fit in most of them. Gotta remember you have to park the truck too!

I say get the size trailer that will make you happy and deal with the sites as you go...

Good luck!

Mitch

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2003 Prowler Lynx 722F #5000 GVWR and weighs every bit of it! Happy Camping!

Artemus Gordon

Redding California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/12 07:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

About 33 ft and never been turned away. With my F 450 I have had a few tight places to maneuver, but the spaces have all been large enough for the TT. Were told "if you can park it" you can stay. I was told by Forest Service Ranger that, some spaces get labeled small, not because of it's size, but what an engineer determined most RVers could get there rigs into. Sounded pretty arbitrary to me.

dmax_83

SE WIsconsin

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 07:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I camp in Peninsula State Park at least one week every summer, have done so for the last 25 years. The last 12 years with my current 30' and have never found a site that I couldn't fit on, although some requires some pretty delicate maneuvering. I always use my awning and oftentimes have two cars and a tent on the same site with my camper. I agree with others thoughts on getting a unit that is large enough for your family as nothing is worse than getting cooped up on a rainy day and not having any personal space. The campsites in Tennison Bay are pretty accommodating as are the upper electric sites in Nicolet Bay. PM me if you have any Peninsula specific questions

1998 Jayco Eagle 302FK (Honda EU3000is)
2011 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2003 Honda Aquatrax F-12X Turbo

JEDinWI

West Allis, WI

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 06:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank You for the advice. We were trying to stay around 28' and it seems that we are thinking correctly. Sadly we haven't been able to find a TT that we both like and will work good for our kids. Thus our dilemma. Till we find one we will stay with our PUP. The ideal would be 28 feet, two 32x74 bunks a slide out and enclosed underbody. Just haven't found it yet. We are going to look at the Outback 250rs tomorrow.

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 07:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JEDinWI wrote:

Thank You for the advice. We were trying to stay around 28' and it seems that we are thinking correctly. Sadly we haven't been able to find a TT that we both like and will work good for our kids. Thus our dilemma. Till we find one we will stay with our PUP. The ideal would be 28 feet, two 32x74 bunks a slide out and enclosed underbody. Just haven't found it yet. We are going to look at the Outback 250rs tomorrow.

Staying with the pup is a real good option. With it, you can camp ANTWHERE, and get decent MPGs doing it. It is the best of both worlds. I really miss mine. Plus Pups usually sleep more people more comfortable than any TT, 5er, or MH.

It's a more simple way of camping.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
04 F150, 5.4, Lariat SuperCab
Lazy Campers

pira114

San Jose

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 12:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll tell you this. No matter what the website of a campground says, call first. The Ca state parks website says nothing over 40ft. But I've seen bigger at some, and then I've seen some campgrounds where the roads in prevented anything over 20ft. Call first. The rangers that work those areas know. They're the ones dealing with it all year.

For me, I believe finding the trailer that's right for your family is more important that trying to find a trailer that is right for a campground. Once you have it, you'll figure out how to find places that you'll easily fit. Each state or federal park is different. There are some I go to that could easily fit a 42. And some that I can only tent camp in.

I'm just thinking you shouldn't limit yourself on the basis of one or two state parks. There are a LOT of parks out there. A small trailer can make for a miserable trip with basically four adult sized people living in it. Especially if the weather turns.

Mark and Linda

Smyrna, Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/12 10:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have gone to most of the TN State Parks in our area, Middle TN. We have found some of the older parks that have not be upgraded will not handle a TT or MH of 25 Ft or longer unless it is a pull through. I try to scout out an area before we venture towards it. We have found that some are suitable for a tent, not a PUP, now we have a TT so we look at things in a different way.

Lowsuv

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 07:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For me the best RV is the smallest that fits my needs.
We have a 2002 Komfort 21T that we ordered new.
We had a 16' TT, a 25 TT with slide, and a Beaver 36' diesel pusher.
The 21T behind my Duramax is by far the best setup and the one we have had the longest.
We have stayed in the fancy Outdoor Resorts Golf Course with it and we do more at Forest Service campgrounds because we prefer the lakes that we go to. We were able to get a very cheap rate at Outdoor Resorts in high season because they had smaller spaces available that did not fit the big motorcoach.
We have a walkaround queen with storage underneath, large windows, 5 skylights, and 50, 45, and 45 capacities. This works really well when not in a park with electric and water. Oregon has better state parks than our neighbors but we can always get a spot at the less improved campgrounds on a first come first served basis.
Diesel fuel will be $ 5 this summer so it is an advantage to stay on the smaller side as well.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> How big of a camper can we buy and still fit at state parks
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS