|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Jacking up trailer for flat tire

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next
Sponsored By:
Wolf3gang

SD

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 06:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A very Greenhorn question, We purchased our first fifth wheel trailer, how do you jack up the trailer,or what do we use to raise the the trailer off the ground, we want to be prepaired for a flat tire if this happens, we have not taken posesion of our trailer as it is stored until springtime,does the trailer come with any type of jacks or are these purchased seperatly, Thank All who respond, again a ROOKIE question.

mobilcastle

OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/12 06:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought a 20 ton bottle jack from Harbour Freight. The 5ver will not come with a jack. You will also want to carry some blocking. If your rig has a Auto Level system you would not need the jack. Some people have road side service and they will come out and change it. I have road side service but I carry one anyway. Hope this helps you.

2010 Heartland 3670RL Mor/Ryde PB,dual panes,2-AC,
7000lb axles,G rated LT tires,38' high profile,
2011 Chevy 3500HD,Dually,D/A,LB,EB,4X4,
B&W Companion,GVWR-13,000

Wind River

wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/12 06:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I made a wooden ramp out of an 8x8 with a 30 degree angle cut on one end. Just pull or back up onto the ramp to change the tire. No danger of the tt falling off a jack. Safe and simple and it works.

2003 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2004 Jayco Jay Flight 25RKS
Equal-i-zer Hitch, 3502 Ultra Fab Tongue Jack
Twin Honda 2000i w/parallel kit

Sundowner1

Chesapeake, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/12 06:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Trailers do not come with jacks. I use a 6 ton bottle jack. I position it directly under the U-bolt that is closest to the tire, very carefully centering it on the U-bolt. Jack it up (loosen the lug nuts first), then jack up, remove the lug nuts, change tire and snug up lug nuts, then lower jack and finish tightening lug nuts.

Sundowner

2010 Chevy2500HD, Duramax, crew, std bed, 4x4
08 Fleetwood Quantum 325rkts

Wolf3gang

SD

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 06:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you for your response, Happy Camping this year you and your famimly.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 06:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also carry a 20 ton bottle jack, wheel chocks, an impact socket with 3/4" drive breaker bar to loosen lug nuts and a good torque wrench.

I place the jack directly under the spring hanger perch to jack tire/wheel up just enough to remove/replace. (Mfg. recommends jacking up under frame but that requires a lot of cribbing---blocks to get jack high enough).

If I'm doing wheel bearing/brakes then I will jack rig up using frame and jack stands......but not for changing a flat out on the side of the road.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 06:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All of my trailers have had the std leaf spring suspension. I have a old truckers special wide base shortie 12k hyd jack that I simpley slide under the axle close to the U bolt or the U bolt itself and raise the end of the axle with the flat tire. Much safer and simplier as I'm nor raising the weight of a whole side of the trailer. Stories that this method will crush the axle tubes or bend the axle is internet myth.
I've jacked, loaded to the max, axles from 1800 lb up to 10k axles from the tubes while on the side of the road.

If you have a torsion type of axle then it may require jacking the side of the trailer till the torsion springs lifts the flat tire.

Which ever system you decide on do a dry run at home. Some folks with the ramp type found at their dismay the flat tire never came off the ground.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

rtaylor0830

davidsonville md

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 06:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

would it not be easier to drive the good tire up on lego blocks to get the flat off the ground.

RoyF

Fayetteville Arkansas

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 06:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Everyone else seems to prefer hydraulic jacks, but I like to use the jack from my Ford F350 truck. It has a long crank that I can use without having to lie down on the ground. It raises my fifth-wheel axle without much effort. And it has a U-shaped top which securely holds the axle. (With a hydraulic jack, I worry about the axle slipping off the flat top of the jack's piston.)

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 07:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I too have road service BUT... If I am in a good spot will do it myself... For that job I keep 2 bottle jacks and a star wrench and torque wrench.....Joe

Me-Her-the kids
2009 Ford F350 SD 6.4
08 Montego Bay
Here are my pictures

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Jacking up trailer for flat tire
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts