|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 05/06 Sequoia or Expedition? Trading in an '05 Tacoma

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
skskarda

Cincinnati, OH

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 07:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am looking for input on how much better an '06 Expedition is at towing vs. '06 Sequoia or '05 Tacoma. Does anyone have experience with more than one of these three?

I current pull a 25' Rockwood with an '05 Tacoma. The trailer weighs in at 5500-6000lbs fully loaded. The Tacoma has a 6500lb towing capacity. Payload was a concern initially but after upgrading shocks and adding supersprings, I couldn't be happier. I use an Equalizier hitch. We have over 17k miles towing with multiple trips through the Rockies. Unfortunately, my three children are growing older and even the double cab isn't big enough for them now.

I love the reliability of Toyota and need an SUV for towing but I can't afford $30k for a 08+ Sequoia. I initially narrowed to Armada, Durango, Sequoia, and Expedition (Sorry to GM crowd by I had bad experiences with GM and just can't go back). After some test driving, I am down to the Expedition and Sequoia. My wife loves the Sequoia and I like it as well. Unfortunately, I am feeling like the added towing capacity of the Expedition (8600 lbs tow capacity) might make it a better choice for us over the '05-07Sequoia (6200 lbs tow capacity). Does anyone have thoughts on how much better the Expedition actually tows vs the Sequoia? Or how does the 06 Sequoia (4.7L 273HP) tow vs. '05+ Tacoma (4.0L 236HP)?

I understand I am moving from a 140.9" wheelbase to 118 or 119." I am planning to upgrade my Equalizer to a used Hensley to make up for that.

Edit: Anything larger than '05 Tacoma Double Cab, Long Bed (221" Length) does not fit in my garage so Suburban, Excursion, etc are not viable.

'05 Tacoma, DC, long bed. 6500 Tow capacity, 11100 GCWR
Rockwood 2501SS, 5160 lbs dry, 5760 lbs loaded
Primus Brake Controller
Equal-i-zer hitch
Supersprings

Chuck&Gail

In the Colorado Mountains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/12 08:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can't see why Equalizer isn't ok, works fine for us.

Just a thought. Sequoia likely has 620# tongue weight spec. Expedition likely has 860# tongue weight spec. You say TT loaded might be 6000#, so ideal tongue weight is 780# OR MORE. That is over the VEHICLE spec for the Sequoia I think.

Better safe than sorry. Someone will likely tell you you could just upgrade hitch. Remember putting a Claass V hitch on a Pinto does NOT increase its tow rating. Hitch is virtually NEVER the deciding factor on vehicle tongue weight spec.

Just my thoughts.

Chuck
Wonderful Wife
Australian Shepherd
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going

jerem0621

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 09:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For that year model I would say Expedition for sure. The reason is because the rear axle and the frame is more substantial in the Expedition. You can get a higher capacity with the Expedition too.

Thanks!

2014 Chrysler Town And Country
3.6 Pentastar V6

"It's Kind of Fun To Do The Impossible"
~Walt Disney~

camp-n-family

London, Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 09:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've towed with the Toyota 4.0l and the 4.7l and they are night and day. I'm surprised you were happy towing that weight with the V6. I towed my old 19' hybrid (3200lbs) with a 4Runner which had the same 4.0 in it and it struggled on the highway. Handled the weight but had a hard time with the drag resistance/frontal area. The 4 speed tranny didn't help. I upraded to a newer 4Runner with the 4.7l V8 5speed and problem solved, it towed like the trailer wasn't there. I was confident enough to upgrade the TT to a 26' bhss with similar weights to yours. Again, the engine was excellent and had plenty of power. The issue was always payload and rear axle weights which will also be your problem with the older Sequoias. The 4Runner actually had a higher tow rating at 7000lbs. We bought a Hensley to help with the short wheelbase as well and it was better than the Equil-i-zer but sway was still a concern in strong winds. We eventually traded up to a Tundra Crewmax. Have you considered a truck? I know it won't fit in your garage (mine won't either) but the interior is HUGE and will easily accomodate 3 kids in back. If you need the storage in back put a tonneau cover or cap on it. Tows like a dream. Just a thought.

Just out of curiosity have you actually had the TT weighed? 600lbs between dry weight and loaded (in your sig)seems light for a family of 5. My family of 4 packed light to keep within the 4Runners limits and we were still closer to 1000lbs.

I hate to say it but with 3 growing kids (read not getting any lighter)and that trailer you may be better off with the Expeditions higher tow and payload ratings.

* This post was edited 03/03/12 09:54pm by camp-n-family *

'07 Toyota Tundra Crewmax Limited
'06 Forest River Flagstaff 26BH(sold)
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 31BHPR
Hitched by Hensley, Viewed by McKesh

eye8Ubutler

Maritime Provinces

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/12 04:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My vote would be the Expy.

That model of Toyota compared to the Expy is 'thin on the ground.'
So....if you are travelling around and need a repair suddenly, life might be a little easier with a Ford?

That said, if I was not travelling around, I'd have the Toyota!

Tuf one????

Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ 2007 (new shape)
4x4 Crew Cab VORTEC MAX (L76) 6.0L V8 4L70E 4.10 axle
factory NHT Max Trailering Package.
2010 Coachmen Freedom Express 280 RLS

"...a Waldorf Salad?, sorry we are fresh out of Waldorfs!".......BASIL FAWLTY.

APT

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 11:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I highly recommend getting into the next generation of each. One with a 6-spd trans. Too much weight for that generation Sequoia, so Expy if you need to stay that generation.

A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2012 VW Passat TDI

eric james

Sioux Falls, SD

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 03:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try really hard to step to the '07 Expedition with the 6 speed tranny.

If not in the cards (they are hard to find w low miles), the '06 will treat you very well. It is not a Toyota so you will have to get used to Ford build quality. The doors will more than likely rattle. If you hear a "thunk thunk thunk" from the rear air/heat, it needs a $$ fix.

At 6000 lbs trailer, you will be around 400-600 lbs under the trucks GVWR hitched up.

It will tow very well, mpg will be around 7-9. My old '03 has been very reliable over the years. Sure it needs maintenance but never broke down on the road.

A very easy truck to drive and comfortable all the time (with quads). You won't need to pony up for a Hensley, the Equal-i-zer will be fine.

When shopping look inside the driver's door for the axle code on the VIN sticker. It needs to be "I6" or "H6" that's 3.73. If 3.73 you pretty much have Class IV towing package. 300 HP motor and better 4 speed tranny showed up in 2005.

2009 Keystone Passport UL 290BH
2003 Ford Expedition EB 5.4L/3.73

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 05/06 Sequoia or Expedition? Trading in an '05 Tacoma
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS