RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Why is this so challenging?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Why is this so challenging?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
LarryJM

NoVa

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 05:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Adesonia wrote:

This is a good question, thanks for asking. In short, we live in an urban area with no driveway and alley entrance, so no place to store or park a trailer, ever. We do not have a tow vehicle at this time because we need to save for that-- we figured with the combo of where we live (no storage) and spreading the cost of the TT and TV, we could buy the camper we wanted and we will buy the TV later when we are ready to bite of the expense of a new vehicle and finding storage for the TT that is local(When we decide to pull this thing on the road.) With 3 little kids, one being a baby, the permanent site option looks a lot easier for the next 2 years.
This TT is in the running now as well.
http://gulfstreamrvtrailers.com/conquest/floorplans.php#279QBL

Sorry and I hate to say this if you don't have a TV and have taken 5 yrs. to save to buy a trailer, I think you should just wait since owning a trailer and a proper TV is an expense that seems you can afford right now with your growing family.

Larry

2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

Justus4

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 08:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wmoses wrote:

Justus4 wrote:

Adesonia wrote:

I

Weight isn't a huge issue as we will be parked at a permanent site for the next 2 years.

See the last sentence of my first paragraph.

So they buy a tow vehicle to match their trailer when they are ready or buy a new combination.

Chock Full o' Nuts

GA

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/12 08:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lowsuv wrote:

Buy USED
You will change your mind.
NOBODY still USES their first RV.
After you gain some experience you will know what features you really cannot live without.
A big percentage of NEW rv's end up sitting next to the garage from the 4th year till the 7th year when it gets sold due to lack of use.
Find one of those , Cheap !

This is a good point. What makes it so hard to find that Just Right first trailer is you don't know what you don't know. We did everything the OP has done--shopped carefully over a long period, tried out all the potties and showers, etc. We bought what we thought was a fabulous trailer. And it was very nice, but we outgrew it within the first year. Had to trade for something bigger, a 30ft Springdale(which has the L-kitchen, bunks, superslide, etc--you might want to look at those. Had the bigger unit for about 2-1/2 years and would still have it, except we wrecked it. Back to the drawing board. Now we have a nice used Dutchmen 25F. We've been able to scale down because the kids no longer camp with us. We can sleep up to 4, if we have to, but it's really more of a 2 person trailer.

I guess the main thing you need to decide is how are you going to use it 80% of the time. I suggest you get the trailer that fits you for now and the next 2 years. When the day comes that you want to buy your tow vehicle, you can decide then if you want to keep the trailer or trade it, based on your needs *then* and your budget.

And you need to decide USED vs. NEW. I recommend USED. There are plenty of trailers out there looking for a new home and they cost significantly less than new. We never buy anything we have to put on a payment plan, either. Better to have something small that you can pay for in cash than to put a depreciating asset on credit. I see way too many families buy a trailer thinking they are going to camp a lot. Only to find out that it's not what they thought--one of the adults decides it's too much work, or there's too many bugs, or it's taking up too much time and pretty soon the trailer sits unused for a year or more, and all the while they're paying a couple hundred a month for the privilege. Better IMO to start small and used, until you get to know your personal camping style. We're on out 5th RV and I think we have *finally* got it right!

"Those who dwell...among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life."--Rachel Carson, environmentalist, 1956

2009 Ford F250 XL
2006 Dutchmen 25F
Me & DH in non-parenting mode!

rovobay

Damascus, Oregon (Portland Suburb)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/12 08:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lowsuv wrote:

Buy USED
After you gain some experience you will know what features you really cannot live without.
A big percentage of NEW rv's end up sitting next to the garage from the 4th year till the 7th year when it gets sold due to lack of use.

x2^ I just bought a used TT as described above. wasn't used in the last few years. great condition and depreciated to great low levels.

1999 Cameo by Carriage 26FLS bought in February 2012 (our first trailer)

TV is a 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4X4 Crew Cab Short Bed with a 6.6l Duramax and Allison Transmission

Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/12 09:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Bathroom with an exit door to the outside.

In all of my years of looking at trailers I can't remember anyone with a bathroom door to the outside? Not saying there arn't any. Just don't remember any.

Why would you need that anyway?

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

JN_B

Calgary, Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/12 09:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Buy USED

Yep... Probably the best advice given on the forum period..
(AND is also the same advice I give someone new to RVing).

I'm on my 2nd trailer
My Brother's on his 2nd.
Inlaws are on their 4th
Parents are on their 8th.

NO matter how much research you do, you have no IDEA what you actually want/need in an RV until you've spent many nights in it.

2003 GMC Sierra 1500HD SLT
2010 K-Z Spree 318BHS

maddog77

Grand Haven, Mi

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/12 10:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Adesonia wrote:

Forest River Wildwood 30BH2Q

OK. Two very serious problems here.

1) Forest River
2) Wildwood

Run. Run away as fast as you can. Do not throw your money away buying this. This is my advice.

Now, that being said, you've probably already made up your mind. If you do buy this unit. Before you sign get up on the roof and check for the following items.

1) There is caulk/sealant along the TOP SIDE of the rain gutters along the whole length of the trailer.

2) That no awning bracket screws are driven in THROUGH the rain gutters.

3) That they did not put extra covered holes in the roof to accommodate items like a sub-woofer.

4) That they did indeed put all required sealant down where rubber membrane meets siding. (Forest River is known for not doing this)

5) On the sides, look to make sure there is sealant on top of all access doors & latches, doors, windows, lamp fixtures, appliance exhausts and vent intakes, water, electric and cable hookups, etc. ANYTHING that sticks through or is attached to the siding.

Chances are good you will find some missing. On the windows, they will try to tell you that the "plumbers putty" style tape is used and that's enough. That sealant on top is not required. Ask if that's true, why do other manufactures do it? Tell them "Wrong" and insist all missing sealant is applied.

Hope this helps, good luck and my best to you.

God, family & camping freinds forever! SMS

'04 SunnyBrook Solanta 3310
'05 Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab w/ 5.7 Hemi V8

Cecilt

Page

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/12 01:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

Quote:

Bathroom with an exit door to the outside.

In all of my years of looking at trailers I can't remember anyone with a bathroom door to the outside? Not saying there arn't any. Just don't remember any.

Why would you need that anyway?

We have this in our TT and love it. Beats walking through the half the trailer just to use the bathroom or waking up others when it is late. Also, nice when traveling since the living room slide makes it very hard to access the interior bathroom door.

stpauligirlmn

St. Paul

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/12 04:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A travel trailer will not last forever. It is a huge investment, but it is a depreciable asset. Buy one well within your budget and go out and have fun. You will have problems, it will not be perfect, things will break, and you will make mistakes. Have fun anyway. Enjoy!!

Kentucky_Joe

Fort Thomas, KY USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/12 09:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would definitely check out used TT before you purchase. We paid $3000. for our first TT. We planned to go for a couple years with our son (he loved camping with the boy scouts) then thought we would sell it when he didn't want to go anymore. Found out we loved camping! We ordered a new TT after much research and sold our first for the $3000. we paid for it after five years. We learned a lot from that first TT, what we liked about it, what we didn't like about it. One thing we learned is that one of the biggest differences in manufacturers is how many windows they put in and how many cabinets and closets they put in. So be sure to pay close attention to those features as I think they make a big difference in the "feel" of the TT. Last year my sister bought a used TT. It looks almost brand new and they got it for a great price! You might be able to find what you want for a better price if used which would give you a head start on saving for your tow vehicle. IMHO a 30 ft with a slide would probably be about what you would need. It will give you enough room but not be overwhelming to tow. Keep in mind that you don't only need money for the TT and tow, you will need money for gas, overnight fees, tires, propane, taxes, insurance. Hope it works out for you.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Why is this so challenging?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS