|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Adjusting Pin Box

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Wlhm

Seattle

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/12 12:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi all!

I have a 2012 Jayco 5er with a Mor/Ryde pin box. Is it possible to keep the pin box hooked to the truck hitch while lowering the pin box one hole by raising the trailer? The mor/ryde websie shows a PDF file where installing a pin box it is recommended to use the truck hitch. I would assume an adjustment is the same? Lastly, is this an easy job? Thanks much!

tvman44

Southwest Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 05:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't see why not, should be a one man job like that!

Papa Bob
1* DW "Granny"
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

pcm1959

home

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 05:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We used our pin box tripod to support the pinbox when we adjusted ours. Worked out well plus gave us the room to move around and the box was at a more comfortable level to work on. Phillip

2013 Silverado 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
Jacksonville, FL

jjj

Lancaster,Ca.U.S.A.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/12 08:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used the truck hitch when I removed my old pinbox and replaced with the new fifth airbourn. It work out great.

2002 F-350 Crew-Cab Dually
V-10-4.30 gears Mag-Hytec diff.cover
w/Amsoil-6.0 trans cooler Curt Q5 20K hitch & bedsaver
2005 Keystone Challenger 34TBH-Fifth Airbourn

RCMAN46

NorthWest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/12 09:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jjj wrote:

I used the truck hitch when I removed my old pinbox and replaced with the new fifth airbourn. It work out great.

X2. I used my ceiling hoist to remove the old pin box and to set the fifth airbourn in the truck then had the DW help guide as I backed under the trailer. Worked like a charm and was a one man plus DW supervised job.
Woks good to adjust the pin box if needed.

Wlhm

Seattle

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/12 10:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thank you! That's what I was hoping to hear. I'll give it a shot next weekend.

slarsen

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/12 06:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For what it's worth: when I dropped my pin box one row of holes, I took out all but two opposing bolts at the rear, lowered the front of the pin box one hole, put in a pair 1/4 inch bolts with fender washers so that the bolts wouldn't drop out, then lowered the rear of the pin box until the holes lined up and slid in two regular bolts, then replaced the 1/4 in. bolts with regular bolts and filled in the other four regular bolts.

The diameter of the 1/4" bolts allowed for the slight mismatch in distance due to having the front of the pin box one row of holes lower than the rear holes. A pin or rod through the holes would work the same, but I didn't want to risk anything suddenly shifting and having the pin box fall to the ground when I pulled the rear bolts and the whole pin box was momentarily hanging off the 1/4" bolts.

By doing this, I could do the job alone and with truly minimal effort. It was a snap, and there was never a chance the pin box would get away from me.

pcm1959

home

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 07:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

slarsen wrote:

For what it's worth: when I dropped my pin box one row of holes, I took out all but two opposing bolts at the rear, lowered the front of the pin box one hole, put in a pair 1/4 inch bolts with fender washers so that the bolts wouldn't drop out, then lowered the rear of the pin box until the holes lined up and slid in two regular bolts, then replaced the 1/4 in. bolts with regular bolts and filled in the other four regular bolts.

The diameter of the 1/4" bolts allowed for the slight mismatch in distance due to having the front of the pin box one row of holes lower than the rear holes. A pin or rod through the holes would work the same, but I didn't want to risk anything suddenly shifting and having the pin box fall to the ground when I pulled the rear bolts and the whole pin box was momentarily hanging off the 1/4" bolts.

By doing this, I could do the job alone and with truly minimal effort. It was a snap, and there was never a chance the pin box would get away from me.

Ditto on that! Exactly how we did it but used the tripod to help support the pin box. Worked great! phillip

Wlhm

Seattle

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/12 10:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Slarsen,

I would have never thought of that. Your method sounds very easy, I will try that. Thanks for the tip.

slarsen

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/12 07:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad to be of assistance. I've gained so much from this forum in the past, and to this day I get the occasional good tip from others.

added: I thought long and hard to come up with this one before starting. I was recovering from shoulder surgery (rotator cuff), and the thought of repeating it was very unappealing. And might I add, the surgery cost more than the trailer's original price! So I needed a solution that I could do practically one-handed.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Adjusting Pin Box
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS