RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Rock n roll?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Rock n roll?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
patinlouisiana

Baton Rouge, La

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/12 06:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our new TT has built in stabilizers but the thing still rocks and rolls when we move around inside.
How do you stabilize your rig?

I never get lost! Someone always tells me where to go!

2012 Prime time Tracer 230FBS Touring Edition
2010 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4X2

nagel

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 06:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What kind of stabilizers do you have? Are they on all 4 corners? Are you putting anything on the ground below the stabilizers? Sometimes they will dig into the ground and loosen up if they are not on anything.

Steven R. Nagel

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/12 06:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are never going to get it perfectly solid unless you jack it up and put cement blocks under it. It is sitting on springs and tires and even with the stabilizers down it will move some when walking around.

I have had good luck, when wintering in Florida, by putting some jack stands under the frame just in front of the wheels. This reduces the wiggle considerably but we still get some.

Also, you can put on a stabilizing system such as the Steadyfast system which, according to some members, helps a lot. I have never used this type of system so cannot recommend one way or the other.
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch
2002 Ford F250 Super Duty, 7.3L PSD
Visit our website here

nohurry

Orting, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/12 07:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would get wheel locks for the trailer first, that will help. When you set up make sure your level, or nearly so BEFORE you put down the stabilizors, that's not their job. Then run them down snug, but not so much that it puts you off level. If your still rocking, try a wide board or leveling block etc. under them unless your on concrete, then it won't matter. One more thing. When putting them down do this; run the first one down till it JUST touches, not too hard. Then go to the opisite corner and do the same. Then run the other two fairly snug, and finally snug up the first two. I've seen people run the first one down so hard it looked like they were twisting the frame. Good luck and yes, there will be a little movement, but you shouldn't "rock and roll". Country is much better!!

Carl
2013 F250 6.2
2011 Jayco 256RKS
Co-pilot-Sharon
Navigators-Missy, and Petey (chihuahuas)

patinlouisiana

Baton Rouge, La

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/12 07:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have scissor jacks at the four corners but they are not heavy duty.
I just don't remember our old Layton (30 yrs ago) as moving this much.
Have aluminum 2 ton jack stands under each one.

CincyGus

Cincinnati

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/12 07:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just got these and I love them.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/fastway-onestep-tandem-axle-wheel-chock/57758

With four stabilizer jacks at the corners snugged up and these, I have almost completely eliminated any wiggle on our 24' TT. I think much of the sway people feel after putting stabs down is due to the tires moving that little bit forward and backward and these are a realitivly cheap solution compared to others. They also are quick and easy in setting up and tear down.
X-Chocks are also highly spoken of. And as mentioned above, some folks use the aluminum jack stands just in front of the tires on the frames as a stab in the middle of the camper.

2011 Silverado Crewcab 4x4
2012 Passport 238ML

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

Jerry9n

SE Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/12 07:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DW is very sensitive to movement. There are a number of things you can do:

1) Use a pad under the stabilizers. You will probably have to resnug the stabilizers after a day
2) Use a good wheel chock between the wheels to lock their movement. I made mine but there of lots of good ones on the market, i.e. Rotochock, etc.
3) Install something like the strong arm or BAL which is a telescoping support from the trailer frame to the stabilizer.

After all that she still was not 100% satisfied. So:
4) Install a set of stabilizers or use scissors jacks mid frame near the wheels. Be very careful just to take the bounce out but do not try to lift the frame with these or the stabilizers.

Jerry9n
2009 23' Cikira Escape EXP
2006 Ford Expedition
Reese Pro Series SC
Tekonsha Primus IQ
HTT Mods

nohurry

Orting, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/12 07:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CincyGus wrote:

Just got these and I love them.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/fastway-onestep-tandem-axle-wheel-chock/57758

With four stabilizer jacks at the corners snugged up and these, I have almost completely eliminated any wiggle on our 24' TT. I think much of the sway people feel after putting stabs down is due to the tires moving that little bit forward and backward and these are a realitivly cheap solution compared to others. They also are quick and easy in setting up and tear down.
X-Chocks are also highly spoken of. And as mentioned above, some folks use the aluminum jack stands just in front of the tires on the frames as a stab in the middle of the camper.

I like the look of those Gus, do you use them on both sides, or just one?

Fizz

Ottawa, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 08:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What worked best for us was screw jacks from Camping World, we got ours at Walmart
Put them in front and back of the spring shackles to stabilize the center of the trailer.
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/product/aluminum-stack-jacks/1714

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 09:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BarneyS wrote:

You are never going to get it perfectly solid unless you jack it up and put cement blocks under it. It is sitting on springs and tires and even with the stabilizers down it will move some when walking around.

I have had good luck, when wintering in Florida, by putting some jack stands under the frame just in front of the wheels. This reduces the wiggle considerably but we still get some.

Also, you can put on a stabilizing system such as the Steadyfast system which, according to some members, helps a lot. I have never used this type of system so cannot recommend one way or the other.
Barney

x2 on the steadyfast. easy to use and works.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Rock n roll?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts