|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> television service

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Larry Sue Elniff

Topeka,Ks

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 07:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is the best service for fulltime rving. We have direct at home now thinking about just keeping same plan.

sch911

Rochester Hills, MI

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 07:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you answered your own question! But make sure you get the right equipment. Give yourself options. Sometimes fixed antenna's can't get a signal due to trees, etc., so have a portable backup, extra cable, etc.....

OEM Auto Engineer
2003 Damon Challenger 348 Class A - F53 Triton V10
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 V8 Toad

rvten

Crossville,TN

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 07:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If happy with it at home. Stay with it.

Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

hottubkid

SCHAUMBURG,IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/12 08:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would let your plan at home untill it ended and then up with either service but as an RV account. This will let you change your spot beam to were you are so you get the local channels. I am on dish but direct or dish in my opion depends on what you watch and what you want to pay. Good Luck

hottubkid60193@yahoo.com
2004 SOUTHWIND 36E Tow 2003 CRV

JohnnyT

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/12 09:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved from class A forum

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 08:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are not a full timer simply take your receiver from home and buy a portable dish and enough coax cable to connect the two. Simple, cheap and best of all it works.

Don,Lorri,Max (The Rescue Flat Coat Retriever?)
The Other Dallas

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/12 12:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X2 on staying with the same connection at home. We used to take the bedroom receiver with us and used with a portable DirecTv Dish setup. Worked great. You will lose your "LOCAL TV" stations plan when get outside your local ZIPCODE. The fix for this is use the OTA BATWING antenna and pickup the Natl Broadcast stations Digital stations in the area you are camping at. This is the ABC-CBS-NBC-FOX-PBS stations and they are transmitted in full digital HIGH DEF mode which is full screen HDTV. Even the cable hookup at the camp sites dont have this haha... I usually just use VIDEO OUTPUTS of the DirecTV connection and run that to VID 1 input of the trailer HDTV. Then hookup the OTA Antenna to the reg ANT input of the trailer HDTV. This way I can sit in my easy chair and switch between SAT-TV and REGULAR-TV with my handy TV Remote.

Worked great for us until we dropped the DirecTv altogether after retirement and now we just use OTA HDTV or cable TV at the camp sites.

If there is something special we want to watch we just log into the TV Network Web site (like USA or TNT) and they have their TV lineup available to view on your computer (We use Verizon MIFI Connection for the internet to feed up to five WIFI connected devices). It may be a day behind what you see on SAT-TV but who cares about that.

We mostly rely on the OTA BATWINg antenna digital HDTV signals as we most often pick up 6-36 digital HDTV signals just about anywhere we camp at here on the eastern side of the US. The fact they are full blown High Def signals they are either very outstanding HDTv reception or nothing at all. Kinda neat to watch NCIS and CSI out in the back woods somewhere with no power hookups.

Another neat feature of the DirecTv network is you can suspend the SAT-TV service a couple time a years up to six month total by just contacting them on the internet and giving them the dates you want the service suspended. No charge for these suspended periods... I think all of the other Tv Provider do this as well...

My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - PM me
Roy and Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS HOME SETUP ONLY
POPUP PHOTOs-Pg52

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 12:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You asked what is the best service for full timing....so we can assume you will NOT have a stixnbrix home. That said, you simply call DirecTV and tell them you are going to be fulltime in your coach. You can then switch to the RV plan and fill out a single sheet form, (req by the feds) that says you're in an RV. With that form you can then subscribe to either a West Coast or East Coast feed for local channels. This is important depending on where you travel the MOST. Debi likes the East coast feed because the shows come on three hours before West Coast time. Who wants to watch Monday Night Football at 9PM...???...just sayin...Dennis

Oh! depending on your current subscription with DirecTV. If it's close to expiring, I would let it expire and get a NEW subscription under your wife's name. This allows you to take advantage of the "perks" they offer new people and refuse to give to long term subscribers. As a new subscriber they will also give you an RV kit, consisting of a DirecTV dish, a tripod, and 100' of RG6 coax...they will not, however, install the equipment inside your coach.....Dennis

MY SENSE OF HUMOR IS THE MAIN REASON I'LL MOST LIKELY GO TO HELL !
Dennis and Debi Fifth Year Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

janni

North Central US

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 07:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just keep what you have. We like our DirecTV. If you decide to go with an RV plan check the final cost and compare.

sparki27

California

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/12 12:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like this thread. There are some real smart people giving these answers. Thanks for the intel

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> television service
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS