|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Towing laws in Alabama

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
2inAlabama

Huntsville, AL

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 08:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am trying to find reliable information on towing laws for Alabama. As has been stated in this forum and others, the lists published by the private websites, e.g. hitchemup.com, towingworld.com, readybrake.com, etc., all differ amongst themselves. So what can one depend on?

I have been looking for an Alabama government site which has info on towing laws, but have found none. Don't states publish this type of information?

Just DH & DW

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/12 08:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

as good a place aas any to start is your district or regional Dept. of Public Safety. if you call be sure you make it clear you have questions regarding *recreational* towing laws else you may find yourself talking with someone about tow trucks, etc. click here for the Alabama DPS website. you're wise to question the websites that claim to have the most current informtion.

good luck to you.

'73,
rich, n9dko
Raking leaves....mother nature's way of getting you in shape to shovel snow!

'10 Jeep Liberty KK

2inAlabama

Huntsville, AL

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 09:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just sent an email to the AL DPS website - we'll see what I get. Thx

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 09:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All the laws relating to motor vehicles should be contained in one section of the state laws. Once you find that section, the search for specifics becomes relatively easy.
Here in Montana, it is MCA (Montana Code Annotated) 61-X-xxx. For instance, the section that describes the legal requirements for braking performance is MCA 61-9-312.
Your state government website should have a searchable database of all state laws. Find that database, and look for motor vehicle laws.
Good luck in your search.

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Toad: '06 PT Cruiser, Kar Kaddy dolly
Toy (may become a toad): 2001 Dodge QC SWB, 360 Magnum, Auto, 4X4
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 12:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go to the tag office, and ask them. They are part of the DOT. Usually know their stuff.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
04 F150, 5.4, Lariat SuperCab
Lazy Campers

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 12:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Code of Alabama: Section 32: Vehicles

Not much there, except a prohibition against riding in trailers...

Good luck!

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

wny_pat

Western NYS

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 02:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2inAlabama wrote:

I am trying to find reliable information on towing laws for Alabama. As has been stated in this forum and others, the lists published by the private websites, e.g. hitchemup.com, towingworld.com, readybrake.com, etc., all differ amongst themselves. So what can one depend on?

I have been looking for an Alabama government site which has info on towing laws, but have found none. Don't states publish this type of information?
Could you be a bit more specific in your question? Here is a good starting point:

"ALABAMA: Maximum RV width 102 in.; maximum motorhome length 45 ft.; maximum trailer length 40 ft.; maximum RV height 13.5 ft.; maximum combined length of two vehicles 65 ft. Triple towing is not allowed. Riding allowed in truck campers. Overnight parking in rest areas permitted where posted. RV Safety Requirements: At 3,000 lbs.: trailer brakes, flares and breakaway switch. Driving Laws: Wipers on/headlights on. Right turn on red permitted unless posted otherwise. All front-seat occupants must use seat belts; children under age 3 must be in child-restraint safety seats; ages 3-6 must wear seat belts. More Information: Department of Public Safety, RSA Criminal Justice Center, Bldg. C, 5th Fl., Suite C5-15, 301 S. Ripley St., Montgomery, AL 31604. Emergency number: (334) 242-4395 *HP or *47 on cellular phones."
source: http://www.woodalls.com/articledetails.aspx?articleID=1195129

As to specific laws, you need to find a copy of the specific code in question. Most LEOs carry a small paperback state vehicle & traffic code book which they refer to when checking the state law.

Alabama has always been one of those "our way" states when it comes to the V&T laws. You would not believe some of the truck driving stories my father in law told from his experiences down there. Reciprocally was meaningless. Except for picking up a load of peanuts in Enterprise now and them, I tried to stay away from Alabama.

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

2inAlabama

Huntsville, AL

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 03:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My questions have mostly to do with speed limits. Specifically, what is the legal speed limit for motorhomes on interstate highways when towing a car? When not towing? Do the general speed limit laws apply to motorhomes, whether towing or not?

Regarding the setup of my towed vehicle, if I am legal in Alabama shouldn't I be legal in other states due to reciprocity agreements?

Yes, I saw the Woodall's information, but I as said in my original post, how do you know which to trust since they all differ? That is why I am trying to get the information "straight from the horse's mouth". I thought that maybe someone here had already done that. Thx

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 03:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think somebody already asked this, but what exactly is your question?

Besides "Laws", most States have "rules" that implement the laws.

If you could be more specific about your question, maybe someone could point to the codified rule for your situation...

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/12 03:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2inAlabama wrote:

My questions have mostly to do with speed limits. Specifically, what is the legal speed limit for motorhomes on interstate highways when towing a car? When not towing? Do the general speed limit laws apply to motorhomes, whether towing or not?

Regarding the setup of my towed vehicle, if I am legal in Alabama shouldn't I be legal in other states due to reciprocity agreements?

Yes, I saw the Woodall's information, but I as said in my original post, how do you know which to trust since they all differ? That is why I am trying to get the information "straight from the horse's mouth". I thought that maybe someone here had already done that. Thx

speed limits will be posted on the interstate. if there are dfferent limits for different types of vehicles then they will be posted as well. for example...here in illinois the speed limit was 65-mph for cars but 55-mph for motorhomes, vehicles towing trailers, etc. that law was changed so now everything but the large commercial trucks move at 65-mph, 55-mph near chicago, st. louis, etc.

you should be fine if your towing setup includes a break-a-way cable that activates the toad's braking system, safety chains and an electrical hookup for the toad's tail lights, blinkers and brake lights.

what else are you concerned about?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Towing laws in Alabama
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS