|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Deep Cycle Battery Replacement

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Edouard

Hudson QC. or Lake Worth, Fl

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 10:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've been experiencing lack of 12 volt ability to raise/lower our window shade, and extending/retracting the auto awning, waiting several minutes and several attempts to operate them.

The 2 x 6 volt interstate deep cycle's are about 5 years old, their specific gravity are about 1275-1300 in the green zone, and showing 12.6 average when taking a reading, but fail to provide ample voltage when needed as mentioned above. No apparent issue to operate the Norcold 12 volt function, water pump on occasion, etc.

I am of the opinion that the Xantrex inverter/converter/charger should be providing 12 volt when we are connected to shore power, but it appears that not to be the case, anyone have imput on this?

In doing a search here it appears people have good results with BJ's, Walmart and Costco deep cycle golf cart batt's.

Where should I look to pick up a decent deal on a couple of deep cycle batteries? Thanks.

Eugene & Stella
08 Dolphin DL35C, WH-24, Allison 6 Spd.Tranny.(FOR SALE)
2013 Kia Soul 4U.Automatic, Rental Tow Dolly for now.
FMCA 318247

rvrepairnut

bc

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 10:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Edouard wrote:

We've been experiencing lack of 12 volt ability to raise/lower our window shade, and extending/retracting the auto awning, waiting several minutes and several attempts to operate them.

The 2 x 6 volt interstate deep cycle's are about 5 years old, their specific gravity are about 1275-1300 in the green zone, and showing 12.6 average when taking a reading, but fail to provide ample voltage when needed as mentioned above. No apparent issue to operate the Norcold 12 volt function, water pump on occasion, etc.

I am of the opinion that the Xantrex inverter/converter/charger should be providing 12 volt when we are connected to shore power, but it appears that not to be the case, anyone have imput on this?

In doing a search here it appears people have good results with BJ's, Walmart and Costco deep cycle golf cart batt's.

Where should I look to pick up a decent deal on a couple of deep cycle batteries? Thanks.

If I were you I would be checking out why your converter is not charging your batterys while plugged in before just going and buying batterys

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 11:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Before doing any replacement, locate where you are loosing power from the charger. You should be getting normally over 13 volts to the batteries. It could be just dirty connnections on the batteries.

Bud
USAF Retired
Suzuki XL7 pushing Pace Arrow

DUNEBUGGYDOUG

SHELBY FOREST TN.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/12 11:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

you poor thing

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 11:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

New batteries won't help much until the charger is fixed. Buy a $5 DVM and post the battery voltage. Then clean and maintain the batteries and have them load tested.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42 Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
2004 Honda CR-V

Bob

GPWayne

Lake Stevens. WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/12 11:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check out the Xantrex inverter/converter/charger "control panel". Read the manual for how to set it up. If you don't have a manual you can download it.
They even have a video showing how it works and how to set it up.

Edouard

Hudson QC. or Lake Worth, Fl

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/12 07:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Batteries & connections are clean, acid level is correct and maintained, voltage when charger is on is 13.+ volts, when off it's 12.6 approx. It's only when putting a load on there is insufficient voltage apparently. I do have a DVM, that's how I posted voltage in my OP.
I will be picking up a Load Tester today, will than do a Load test and proceed from there. Thanks everyone.

lwasouth

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/12 07:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why are some of our members so nasty. If you can't say something constructive or at least nice, you should keep your "Your poor thing" to yourself

RSchleder

iowa city, ia

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/12 07:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lwasouth wrote:

Why are some of our members so nasty. If you can't say something constructive or at least nice, you should keep your "Your poor thing" to yourself

I second this comment.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/12 07:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I purchased my 6 volters from Costco for about $80 each.
What happens when running on shore power? Does it work properly? If yes, there is a bad connection in the system. Could be around fuses or circuit breakers controlling the defective items.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Deep Cycle Battery Replacement
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS