RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: If you had a $200k budget.....

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> If you had a $200k budget.....

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Smitty77

San Diego

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 02:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dp4me wrote:

If I had a 200K OTD budget I would seriously consider some of the following coaches:

05 Country Coach Magna
06 Country Coach Intrigue
05 Monaco Signature
06 Monaco Executive
06 Holiday Rambler Navigator
05 Newmar Essex

X2's! But would add Country Coach Allure, Travel Supreme, Alpine and Beavers as other Tier 1's, toss in the Newmar DP Mountain Aire to this mix too. Many also respect the American Coach line. In general, I support buying used, and dropping years to retain quality while meeting budget. For example, in that price point, Foretravels and Wanderlodges also start falling into the mix, once you drop a few years. Yes age is a factor, but not as much as good quality to start with, and for any rig - from entry to top of the line - care and attention to detail on maintenance, is critical.

To the OP, please provide a bit more input. Family of four, makes me think this is an RV for going out and enjoying things while the kids are still in the nest? That can add lot's of wear and tear to an RV! What kind of experience do you have in RV'ing? Is this the first rig you will have owned?

If I'm correct about the 'go use it with the kids' cycle ahead, I'd think of buying a middle of the road quality and cost unit now, and go use it and have fun. Then, when time to get a long term rig for you and the DW, with an occasional visit from a kid or two, go buy a nicer quality one that you will not flinch every time a kid is being a kid! Stash the rest of that cash towards that future purchase.

(Of course, if that budget was one that was an easy one for you two to come up with, great for you!

You can get some great middle quality Tier 2 DP's and gas units for say the $100K mark. They can give you many good years of usage.

Some that come to mind, with many more not listed, are:
-Monaco Diplomat (and various equal brands from Monaco's lines)
-Newmar Kountry Star and Dutch Star
-Newmar gas powered of the above, plus the Mountain Aire
-Fleetwoo line of /Bounder/Southwind/Discovery/Expedition
-Winnie/Itasca Horizon/Sunchaser/etc.
-Rexhall (gas and DP - great bang for the buck)
-Tripple E
-and many more...

What are your goals for this coach? How long will it be used? Summer Vacation getaways? Sleeping, have you thought about bunk beds for this rig with heavy kids duty?

And, welcome to the forum!!
Best,
Smitty

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 03:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would look for a diesel pusher, aqua hot, tag axle and bath and half. Best ride and durability, everyone can shower (with hot water) when necessary and the bathroom won't always be occupied when you need it. Look 5 to 7 years old and you can get a top manufacuturer (Monaco including Holiday Rambler and Beaver, Newmar, Tiffin, Country Coach)Personally, I would look at a bigger than 40 footer, you seldom see people longing to trade into a smaller rig, buy big and get it over with. Unlike a lot of others, I figure if you have $200K to spend, you have already made the assessment you can afford to pay for the fuel and travel expenses.

emzee

california

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 03:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Welcome to the forum!!

I would go for a used also. You can get the carfax printout and see if there have been many owners etc. There are many out there that people had to let go because of this economy, take advantage of this. Also after market warranties can give you peace of mind when the original is over.

We purchased one through GoodSam, thank goodness haven't used it, but it's there. It also covers gaskets and seals for a few bucks more. I have heard it's good to have these covered because the insurance company can say it was the cause of the failure and then not cover the failure, just adding that in.

We have 4 slideouts and it makes it very livable. We were looking for 2 but very happy with what we have.

Tiffin, Newell, Country Coach, Foretravel are the top ones with great aftermarket customer service. Probably missing a couple but off the top of my head they are good.

univmd

Maryland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/12 03:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I had a $200k budget, I would get a brand new 43 ft. tag-axle diesel pusher with 4 slides, fully tiled floors, with dual vanity sinks, complete with brand new warranty included: http://www.mhsrv.com/2011-forest-river-c........rv-for-sale-new-diesel-pusher-tx-i353504

2008 Gulfstream Tourmaster
2011 Honda CRV
Blue Ox Baseplate & Socket Wiring
Blue Ox Alladin Tow Bar
US Gear Unified Tow Brake

J-Rooster

Port Orchard, Wa. / Lake Havasu City, Az.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/12 03:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rk911 wrote:

whatever you buy i'd make a deal for an all cash sale. debt is dumb.
X-2, I would buy a new Winnebago Adventurer with cash! Not as comfortable as a DP (air ride etc.), doesn't quite get the MPG, or the power of a DP. But, fuel is cheaper, maintenance is cheaper and insurance is cheaper. Then with the cash left over I would outfit it with a Gale Banks system, and a nice set of aluminum rims and put a big screen TV in the second outside storage cabinet (curbside).

GabJam

New England

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/12 04:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

univmd wrote:

If I had a $200k budget, I would get a brand new 43 ft. tag-axle diesel pusher with 4 slides, fully tiled floors, with dual vanity sinks, complete with brand new warranty included: http://www.mhsrv.com/2011-forest-river-c........rv-for-sale-new-diesel-pusher-tx-i353504

X2, Now that's a nice looking MH.

11' Monaco Monarch 34SBD

Dan, Donna, Gabrielle (13), & Jameson (11)

Listen to Country Music on-line or on your Smart Phone @ US66Radio.com

eadeal55

Suffolk VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/12 04:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD with the pre-2010 EPA engine. Original MSRP about $365K, can be found now for less than $200K...

Andy & Lee, plus Ruby (15) & Bella (10), the Cocker Spaniel girls
'05 Fleetwood Bounder 33R, F53 w/6.8L V10...towing a
'07 Chevy HHR LT2 w/2.4L EcoTec,
Blue Ox Aventa LX, Brake Buddy Classic
FMCA #F359977 - Colonial Virginians, President 2012-14

chastho

arkansas

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 04:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is where I would start looking.

Disneyfix

On Golf Course

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 04:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks to all you guys for taking the time to post and help me out.

Gsmitty77- Yes we would need bunks, we are noobs, too late on buying something less charming the wife has been inside a phaeton.... bad luck for me.
SUmmer vacations and for the wife and I later on Kids are 10 + 7.

westernrvparkowner- Start at over 40'? Or are you using in for a penny in for a pound theory.

emzee- thanks on carfax

univmd- that is beautiful.... butt 43????

J-Rooster- thanks will look into

eadeal55- man you guys love the big rigs.

Thanks again keep the suggestions coming.

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 05:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Disneyfix wrote:

Thanks to all you guys for taking the time to post and help me out.

Gsmitty77- Yes we would need bunks, we are noobs, too late on buying something less charming the wife has been inside a phaeton.... bad luck for me.
SUmmer vacations and for the wife and I later on Kids are 10 + 7.

westernrvparkowner- Start at over 40'? Or are you using in for a penny in for a pound theory.

emzee- thanks on carfax

univmd- that is beautiful.... butt 43????

J-Rooster- thanks will look into

eadeal55- man you guys love the big rigs.

Thanks again keep the suggestions coming.
Yep, start at over 40'. There is absolutely no difference driving a 38 footer, a 40 footer or a 45 footer, we have had them all. The over 40 crowd all have tag axles, better ride and more capacity. The extra room more than makes up for the two or three places that you cannot get into with a 45 that would hold a 38. We had our 38 footer (2 slides) for about a year before we moved up to a 4 slide 40, two years later a ride in a friends 45 had us trading 30 days later. Never looked back and wished I had anything to do with the 38 or 40, except the money we lost not buying the 45 to start with. As for the bunk beds, only get a bunker if the boys are really young. The bunks will be a whole lot of wasted space when they stop wanting to RV and spend all their time with friends. I am not sure on the resale either, since most people who have the budget for a big pusher are not really in the child rearing years. Most big rigs have sofas (plural) that convert very easily to beds. Might make the rig more sellable or more usable for you and the wife further down the road. Also the bunks are usually kind of short, so if the NBA is in any of the kids future they may outgrow them quickly

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> If you had a $200k budget.....
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS