|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Mac or PC

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Davydd

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/12 08:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Happytraveler wrote:

gwalter wrote:

I read a rumor that Microsoft may be making Office for the iPad. Has anyone else heard this?

I read that the other day.

Office for iPad Submitted to App Store

That's old news that has since been denied by Microsoft. Microsoft does develop apps for the iPad so it is not as if they are deliberately avoiding Apple. My guess is the rumors took some wind out of their marketing sails and they wanted to hold off for the iPad 3 intro. The other reason is they may want it to show first on their own Windows 8 tablet effort, but rest assured, it will come to the iPad. I have serious doubt Microsoft will avoid a 50 million device and growing market unless their CEO, Steve Ballmer, is truly an idiot.

Davydd
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter B Camper Van
Visited states in an RV

bayoubelle

Amite, LA

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/12 12:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Road Trip huh? I'll have to look into that. I'll have to do more research on cost. I have time. I want to see what the Ipad will do for me. That will be my main internet and research tool. I use my iphone quite a bit, only complaint is small screen and of course flash player not available. Also, silverlight for reserve america. (of course not sure what that means doesn't work on my ie 64 bit either).

Sooo much to consider. Thanks for all the information.

2008 31RK Cardinal LE
2011 3500 HD Silverado LTZ

Monty-Rob

Sioux Falls, SD

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/12 12:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm confused...they still make PC's!
Had a PC for years...we switched over to an IMac about 2 years ago and love it...also have IPad2 and IPod.

2014 Lifestyle 37CKLS
2012 Started fulltiming on February 1st
2008 Ford F-450 Lariat

OldF**t

Crossville, TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/12 12:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Road Trip hasn't been updated in three years and has been replaced by Basecamp for both PC's and Macs.

Jim

2004 Hurricane 32R (F53)
Demco Excalibar
2010 Ford Ranger 4X4
2009 Kymco Xciting 500Ri
1 wife and 6 cats

Rick Jay

Greater Springfield area, MA

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/12 01:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Deetour wrote:

donn0128 wrote:

Get the basic mac not the pro and go happy.

I agree and its not just because we use Macs. I do run one Win7 computer and everytime I have to do something on it I wonder: Now why didn't they do this like Apple, it would have been so much easier.

If you're referring to the old, white, MacBook, those are no longer available. The MacBook Pro is it for their notebook computers.

My advice: Get the MacBook Pro, get it with a program called "Parallels" which will allow you to run whatever version of Windows you need to run your PC programs. It will run Windows AND Mac OS simultaneously. The BEST of both worlds.

Think of the Mac as "added value" rather than "added cost". The majority of people, after experiencing Mac OS X, will prefer it over the Microsoft OS. ALthough, personally, I think Win7 is great, I like the simplicity of Apple's One OS version over MS's "choose a flavor" menu.

Good Luck,

~Rick

2005 Georgie Boy 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22 (Class A)
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (18-Angel, Lexi96.org), 1 girl (13), 2 boys (14 & 11).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

OldF**t

Crossville, TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/12 05:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't forget the MacBook Air as an alternative to the Pro.

NorthernLimits

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/12 07:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

creeper wrote:

If you think Apple is a steep learning curve wait till you get windows 8. They've managed to complicate the shut down procedure.

Win+C hotkey...then select shutdown, restart, logoff, switch user etc. Or just hit the power button and it goes through the shutdown procedure.

Seems easy. Just different. But so is the Mac.

creeper

Deep South

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/12 10:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NorthernLimits wrote:

creeper wrote:

If you think Apple is a steep learning curve wait till you get windows 8. They've managed to complicate the shut down procedure.

Win+C hotkey...then select shutdown, restart, logoff, switch user etc. Or just hit the power button and it goes through the shutdown procedure.

No more start button, it's now under the charms bar and of course long time windows users to relearn.

Hitting the power button will give you the shutdown options menu, click the drop down option, choose your option and then click ok. Not saying it's not easy it's just overly convoluted with amount of clicks and maneuvers.

For mac users click apple and shutdown.

NorthernLimits

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/12 06:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

creeper wrote:

NorthernLimits wrote:

creeper wrote:

No more start button, it's now under the charms bar and of course long time windows users to relearn.

Hitting the power button will give you the shutdown options menu, click the drop down option, choose your option and then click ok. Not saying it's not easy it's just overly convoluted with amount of clicks and maneuvers.

For mac users click apple and shutdown.

Personally I think the Apple and shutdown is a learning curve also. It's not a start button. It's not in the same location as a start button. Again, not hard, just different.

Pushing power and selecting shutdown on a Mac or PC does the exact same thing.

strollin

San Martin, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/12 06:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What I always find fascinating about the MAC/PC (actually MAC/Windows) debate is that it's always pointed out that you can run Windows on a MAC using Bootcamp or software like Parallels. That's because Windows is needed in order to use certain software that's not available for the MAC or to play games or whatever. Seems to me that it makes more sense to just run Windows in the first place.

I had a MAC a few years back running OS X Snow Leopard. I really wasn't wowed by it but it was OK. I installed Win 7 when it first was released using Parallels and found I spent most of the time using Win 7 and used the OS X side less and less. I gave the MAC to my daughter who was in college and after a couple of months of using the MAC she begged me for a Windows machine. I tried to sell the 1 yr old MAC but could only get offers of 20% of what I paid for it. After months of trying to sell it, I finally traded it for a Toshiba laptop.

* This post was edited 03/06/12 06:35am by strollin *

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Mac or PC
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS