RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Dinghy Towing: To dinghy or not to dinghy?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> To dinghy or not to dinghy?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
dan23

Upstate NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/12 01:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife and I are new to class A motor home ownership, but we have previously camped with a truck and travel trailer. We are not sure about towing a dinghy. Among our options:

No dinghy. Get by with no short-jaunt vehicle excepting the RV. We will be taking along a 12' by 12' screen room with full wind curtains so if only one person wants to run to the store, the other can stay behind and still have shelter.

Motorcycle trailered behind the RV. Currently owned motorcycles are too heavy for my taste on a rear-mounted carrier. I'd have to buy a trailer of some sort. Or buy a smaller, lighter motorcycle.

Pull a Mazda Miata. I'd have to buy the tow bar and accessories and there are some real and imaginary issues with towing this manual transmission car. The car is light, but LOW to the ground which could be an issue.

Pull a Mazda 3. I'd have to buy the tow bar and accessories and it weighs considerably more than the Miata.

Our plan is to take a trip to Alaska and return, totaling at least 10K miles over 120 days. I'm figuring making about 100 miles daily forward progress with the other 20 days remaining in one spot. This schedule allows for easy adjustment.

I'm leaning toward the idea of taking the RV only, but I know there'll be days I will wish for either the Miata or a motorcycle.

Comments and experiences are welcome.

Thanks.

Golden_HVAC

Fulltime, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 01:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

I guess I am leaning more towards a really lightweight Enduro type dirtbike, for use on the rugged trails in Alaska, and some times being driven in the streets for a quick run to the store? Even something in the 250 CC range now days has a really powerful engine. Much more power than 10 years ago. Worth checking out anyway.

I used to tow a Manx dune buggy, but you would cover it with mud on the trip to Alaska, and it does not have a heater for cooler day trips, and not much protection from the rain. Very light and high on the "Cool" factor.

Check with RoadMasterInc.com for suggested towbar and hitch for the car. THey also sell a tow shield, it will prevent rocks from getting to the windshield.

Fred.

dan23

Upstate NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/12 01:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you for your reply. One thing I plan to do as soon as I get a chance is go look at local motorcycle dealers to see what they might have in stock at a decent price.

wny_pat

Western NYS

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 02:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dan23 wrote:

Pull a Mazda 3. I'd have to buy the tow bar and accessories and it weighs considerably more than the Miata.........................

Our plan is to take a trip to Alaska and return, totaling at least 10K miles over 120 days. I'm figuring making about 100 miles daily forward progress with the other 20 days remaining in one spot. This schedule allows for easy adjustment.

I'm leaning toward the idea of taking the RV only, but I know there'll be days I will wish for either the Miata or a motorcycle.
Take a look at the Ford Festiva. Just like the Mazda 3 and the curb weight is under 3000 lbs.

I pull a Ford Focus (2600 curb weight) and don't even know it is back there. As to the tow bar, base plate and brakes, well there are deals out there if you look around! I did my whole set up for about $700 including the installation of the base plate and lights. And it was all new.

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

rv2go

Fulltime 12 yrs (Knoxville, TN).or someplace else

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 02:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First, Welcome to the Forum.

With a large class A, and are into exploring the "end" of the road, you are really going to be handicapped. I did it first in a small class C and still had problems. The bike might be OK just to run to the store, but it does rain in AK.

I would consider buying a early model 4x4 Geo Tracker or it's sister, the Suzuki. The setup on one is not all that expensive. They are light, easy to tow and make a great way to explore.

Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Travel Photos

jauguston

Bellingham, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 02:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To fully enjoy the Class A travel experience you are eventually going to want a toad you can tow four down. You can try other ideas but I bet money you will not be happy until you have a toad. There is just too much you will NOT do because it is too big a hassle getting your camp broken down so you can go see the local sights driving the motorhome. Look at the Class A coaches going down the road and you will see a large percentage of them will be towing a vehicle. There is a reason. Suzuki makes a whole bunch of vehicles that can be towed without any modofications. We like our Samurai and at 2200# you never feel it back there. I would never leave home without a toad.

Jim

2005 Coachman Sportscoach Elite 402 40'
350hp Cat C-7 w/MP-8
7500w Onan quiet diesel generator
6-Kyocera 130w solar panels SB3024i MPPT controller
Pressure Pro TPMS
1987 Suzuki Samurai tintop Toad w/VW 1.6 turbo diesel power

Big Katuna

Deland, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/12 02:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can not imagine going to Alaska without a toad of some sort. A Miata would be almost worthless. What if you have a breakdown and the RV is laid up for a few weeks? ALso no way to go adventuring and checking out lakes and stuff without a toad. A 4WD is almost mandatory. The Suzuki suggestion is good one or a used Jeep. A late 90's would be good. You could buy one and use it and sell it when you got back if you don't want to keep it around. You could probably turn it for some profit in AK just before you leave.

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

dan23

Upstate NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/12 02:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jauguston wrote:

We like our Samurai and at 2200# you never feel it back there. I would never leave home without a toad.

Jim

I like the 2200 pound suggestion.

How much do Trackers weigh?

I'm a bit leery about using a motorcycle on this trip. Besides, I'd have to pack the extra gear.

jauguston

Bellingham, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 03:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Tracker/Side Kick (same vehicle) is about 2700#.

Jim

lj2654

weeki wachee, florida

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 03:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think Trackers weigh about 3300 to 3400 # ..My Honda CRV is about 3400#...they are close to same vehicle.

2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> To dinghy or not to dinghy?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts