|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> What to take to bed with you..........not a joke

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
TennesseeT

TN

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 01:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't know if anyone has posted this before, but it is such a good idea I want to pass it on.

I got this in an e mail from a friend. Good idea at home or when you are in your travel trailer too!

Subject: What to take to bed with you..........not a joke..............

Pretty neat idea. Never thought of it before.
Put your car keys beside your bed at night.

Tell your spouse, your children, your neighbors, your parents, your Dr's office, the check-out girl at the market, everyone you run across. Put your car keys beside your bed at night.

If you hear a noise outside your home or someone trying to get in your house, just press the panic button for your car. The alarm will be set off, and the horn will continue to sound until either you turn it off or the car battery dies.

This tip came from a neighborhood watch coordinator. Next time you come home for the night and you start to put your keys away, think of this: It's a security alarm system that you probably already have and requires no installation. Test it. It will go off from most everywhere inside your house and will keep honking until your battery runs down or until you reset it with the button on the key fob chain. It works if you park in your driveway or garage.

If your car alarm goes off when someone is trying to break into your house, odds are the burglar/rapist won't stick around. After a few seconds, all the neighbors will be looking out their windows to see who is out there and sure enough the criminal won't want that. And remember to carry your keys while walking to your car in a parking lot. The alarm can work the same way there. This is something that should really be shared with everyone. Maybe it could save a life or a sexual abuse crime.

P.S. I am sending this to everyone I know because I think it is fantastic. Would also be useful for any emergency, such as a heart attack, where you can't reach a phone. My Mom has suggested to my Dad that he carry his car keys with him in case he falls outside and she doesn't hear him..... He can activate the car alarm and then she'll know there's a problem.

Please pass this on even IF you've read it before. It's a reminder.

TennesseeT

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 03:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While it might be a good idea, it is also well known that well over 80% of car alarms are false alarms, so many (if not most) people will just curse the person who caused the alarm and roll over to try to get back to sleep.
I'm sure the bad guys are well aware of this little factoid, so will it REALLY frighten them away? I surely don't know, but I would be unwilling to rely on it!

Again, it isn't a BAD idea, but I sure wouldn't want to stake my life on it working!

Personally, my cell phone is on the night stand. I would call 911 and state that it sounds like someone is breaking into my house, and I fear for my life.

* This post was edited 03/04/12 05:35pm by an administrator/moderator *

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Toad 1: '06 PT Cruiser, Kar Kaddy dolly
Toy (and Toad 2): 2001 Dodge QC SWB, 360 Magnum, Auto, 4X4
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

emzee

california

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 03:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think anything is better than nothing!! Thanks for the tip.

msmith1199

Central, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/12 06:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Although people do tend to ignore car alarms, when was the last time you drove by a car with the car alarm going off and saw somebody stealing the stereo? 98% of the time a car alarm going off, especially in a populated area, will send the auto burglar or auto thief fleeing. This idea of keeping the car remote handy will likely work.

2004 National Tropi-Cal T-350, Class A, Triple slide, 330 HP Cat DP.
2006 Dodge Dakota 4x4

Doug4.7

Hartselle, AL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 09:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

msmith1199 wrote:

..when was the last time you drove by a car with the car alarm going off and saw somebody stealing the stereo?
True, if you're going to steal the stereo, disable the alarm first.

dave54

Northeast CA.

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 10:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Also keep a fire extinguisher next to your bed.

You probably have several around the home. If you awake to smoke in the middle of the night an extinguisher in the next room will not do you any good.

=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

msmith1199

Central, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/12 08:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dave54 wrote:

You probably have several around the home. If you awake to smoke in the middle of the night an extinguisher in the next room will not do you any good.

You shouldn't be smoking in the middle of the night. It's bad for you.

jetboater454

Camping or home

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/12 08:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dave54 wrote:

Also might be good if someone breaks in.

Other half is camping with the angels,Riding alone for now.

2008 3500 Dodge Ram CTD dually 4X4 SOLD
2007 Gulfstream Endura Max 40 SOLD
2001 Polaris Ranger 4X4 SOLD
Harley Dyna Lowrider.

Mod Pics

barbandwayne

Eastern Arkansas

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/12 09:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hopefully any noise like that would scare someone off. He's not going to take time to decide if its your car alarm going off accidentally or did he just set off the house alarm. I know when a neighbors alarm goes off, I dont' always know which one it is. These burglers aren't the smartest and bravest people around.

Freeman2004

Central CT, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/12 10:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dear old dad used to insist that each of us boys took a knife to bed with us when we tent camped. "Never know when you will have to cut a new door to save yourself"

Scott & Karen
2004 Fleetwood Monterey
2003 Ford Ranger Edge in Very, Very Red

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> What to take to bed with you..........not a joke
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts