|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Ford V-10 Engine

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Neumann

Las Vegas,NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/12 06:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The #7 piston failed. Think the rings went as there was lots of oil in the cylinder. They took the plugs out and stuck a camera in there.
The spark plug was almost burned up on the end. The spark plug in this engine is one I have never seen before. The end that used to look like an inverted L was a loop over the center short part from one side to the other. This was almost burned through.
Will find out more soon as the old engine is comming out and I want to see it.

Will post more as I find out.

Hal

Pirate

Appalachia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/12 07:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks. Appreciate the updates.

C-Leigh Racing

Nashville NC

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/12 10:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Neumann wrote:

The #7 piston failed. Think the rings went as there was lots of oil in the cylinder. They took the plugs out and stuck a camera in there.
The spark plug was almost burned up on the end. The spark plug in this engine is one I have never seen before. The end that used to look like an inverted L was a loop over the center short part from one side to the other. This was almost burned through.
Will find out more soon as the old engine is comming out and I want to see it.

Will post more as I find out.

Hal

Keep us posted on this please.
If you have that spark plug, a pic would be nice & would really be nice to see first hand pics of what happened inside that engine.
Thanks, Neil

Pirate

Appalachia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/12 04:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I didn't have the aftermarket insurance I would have to be asking real hard right now why they couldn't take out that piston and replace it instead of replacing the entire engine. From what I have read, a new engine is not always a problem-free solution.

NAUTIQUE

SOUTHEASTERN MA.

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 07:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WyoTraveler wrote:

Hikerdogs, with 95,000 miles you are about due for some new spark plugs. Highly recommend you get it done at a good Ford garage. There is quite a procedure involved and that is one downside of the V10, getting those spark plugs changed out with no damage. I had the plugs changed out in my 2002 V10 a couple of months ago at 100,000 miles.

Somebody on the forum posted the procedure a while back. Not a project where you should just grab a spark plug wench and do it yourself.

2000 F53 here (1999 chassis).
My recommendation on the older V10's would be to do the plug change yourself so that you know it's been done right.
Here's the write-up I did on it: V10 Dreaded plug change

V10's are super tough units!
You can go over to the FTE (Ford truck enthusists) forum and read all you want on V10's.

Our Portable Summer Cottage II : 2000 GBM LANDAU on 1999 F53 chassis
Sumitomo ST718's,Bilstein's,Steer-Safe,UltraTrac
& Aventa II pulling a 97TJ
- Pics & Mods * GBM Thread * F53 Thread
The Crew: Lovely Wife,2 Daughters & Springer Spaniel!
LIFE IS GOOD!

Barry514

San Diego

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/12 09:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After reading this thread I feel better. I just upgaded to another coach, 2002 Sea Breeze with V-10. I older unit had a Chevy 454 and it seems the ford has more power. It only has 7400 miles on her, so I guess I will have many more miles to go.

C-Leigh Racing

Nashville NC

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/12 10:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 02 year, should have the 310 HP V10, with the different heads & intake.
Only problem I've heard about those, were the plugs breaking in half when being taken out, but it could be from where the plugs are being left in to long & a bunch of miles & carbon building up on the tips.
Those plugs not as bad as the threads being striped out like on the older 275 HP V10s.

Let us how how she runs & handles.
Neil

Barry514

San Diego

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/12 10:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Planning on a long trip this coming May. We have just been taking her out locally to get use to things. Looking forward to the trip to Sequoia .

Hikerdogs

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/12 04:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WyoTraveler wrote:

Hikerdogs, with 95,000 miles you are about due for some new spark plugs. Highly recommend you get it done at a good Ford garage. There is quite a procedure involved and that is one downside of the V10, getting those spark plugs changed out with no damage. I had the plugs changed out in my 2002 V10 a couple of months ago at 100,000 miles.

Somebody on the forum posted the procedure a while back. Not a project where you should just grab a spark plug wench and do it yourself.

I changed out the plugs a couple months ago. I followed the procedure outlined in the service manual and all went well. We just put another 4,000 miles on it last month and it still runs great. To tell the truth I think there were another 50,000 miles left on the original plugs. For the record the 310 hp version of the V10 came out in 2000. Ours has the heads with 8 threads to hold the plugs in place as opposed to the previous years with 4 threads.

Hikerdogs
2013 Winnebago Adventurer

TropicalRV

La Crosse, WI, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/11/12 10:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bgbeaver wrote:

I have a 2000 Winnebago Chieftain, 35U, with the Ford engine, and I pull a Honda CR/V.

I cruise best at 2500-2700 RPMs and try to stay below 3000 rpms,except when I hit a hill or overpass, and it downshifts suddenly, running the tach up to
3800 rpms until I back off the gas pedal.

I've been told to cruise at 2000.rpms, but have virtually no torque, and hills become mountains.

Am I hurting the engine by cruising at 2700 rpms (65 mph)? What is the convention al wisdom regarding cruising rpms/speed?

Also, what is the life expectancy of this engine? Can I reasonably expect to get 0
125,000 miles from it, if I maintain it properly?

You can cruise all day at 2750 RPM or 65 MPH. When you approach a hill and the speed starts to drop, I let it downshift around 55 MPH and climb the hill at around 3300 RPM. Steeper hills will require higher RPM in lower gears, but I never let it go above 4000. Lugging the engine at 2000 gives you no torque/HP and is more harmful in my estimation.

Paul
2001 Tropi-Cal 6350, Ford V-10, 310HP, 7.77 MPG
2002 Honda CRV 2WD, 27 MPG

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Ford V-10 Engine
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts