RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Electric items...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Electric items...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
dtzackus

Cumbola, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/12 06:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are upgrading to a 30 foot bunk house unit, call me old school (only 38 years old), but I like a manual awning. I like the aspect of the ability of leaning them down while you leave and more importantly when it rains, you can tilt it to one side. Electric jacks on all four corners, are painfully hard to watch go up or down since they are so slow. Electric Tongue Jack, haven't seen them work, but heard they are painfully slow as well.

Are we really getting that lazy that we need these electric devices? Before you think I am off my rocker, I do like the electric fridge, microwave and a/c..

Dan

Dan, Tammy, Cory, Leah and Adam
2011 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 6.0
2012 Conquest 297DBS
Equal-i-zer Hitch
GM Integrated Trailer Brake Controller

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 06:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

from the sounds of things one of two things come to mind. You are not a patient person and very young. You sound just like my SIL. He thought the same thing about tongue jacks until I got him one for Christmas. Me? I had a heart attack when I was 39 so the first summer after that I was hooking up in the heat and I knew right there and then an electric jack was in my immediate future. the levelers are always slow but again they are a life saver too. it's no all its cut to be, getting old that is. If you like the exercise thing, go manual. Oh yes some electric awning can be lowered for better drainage but not all. some like the Keystone units can be.

patnchris

Lake Villa, Il.

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 07:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have an electric awning and tongue jack. I really like the tongue jack... The awning......The jury is still out..lol

Patrick and Christine
Dudley, Summer, and Sabastian, the cocker spaniels
2007 Ford F150 4X4 Max tow package
Flagstaff 8526 RLWS Classic Ultralight.

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 06:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You should equip your trailer the way YOU like it. Concerning the tongue jack, they're just as fast as hand cranking a heavy trailer and do keep in mind you'll need to lift not only the trailer tongue but the rear of your tow vehicle in order to hitch up.
Good luck / Skip

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

eric james

Sioux Falls, SD

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 07:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was hesitant at first about the power package on my Passport in 2009. Two camping trips and I wouldn't have it any other way.

When shopping trailers, ask the dealer to extend the awning and ask him how to tilt it. If it won't tilt, look at another or get a manual awning.

Mine tilts and I love it. I just wish it was longer than 16'!

2009 Keystone Passport UL 290BH
2003 Ford Expedition EB 5.4L/3.73

Ranger431

Knoxville, TN

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 06:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My newest TT came with an electric awning, and I have to admit I love it. never thought it would be that great, but it came with the G2 package. Granted, it is one with a good bit of slope - I don't think I'd of liked the flat pitch ones.

I've been toying with the idea of an electric tongue jack, but I just can't get myself to spend $100+ bucks just so I don't have to turn the dial. heck, I pay about $100 a month for the fitness club I'm in - and paying $100 not to turn a crank seems kinda like an oxymoron .

The levelers I feel run into the same category - probably great for some people, and if they came with my unit I probably wouldn't complain, but just don't see myself spending the money to avoid a couple of minutes cranking...

Just my .02 though.

2012 Jayco 32TSBH
2004 Ford Excursion
ProPride 3P Hitch
Tru Control brake controller
Roadmaster Active Suspension

wbwood

Mooresville/Troutman, NC area

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/12 12:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think the electric tongue jack is faster than doing it manually. IMHO...

Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

8iron

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 07:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ours TT has all of these things and I wouldn't want it any other way. Our awning can be lower,slanted, tilted or whatever you want. The elec tongue jack is a sweat saver when hooking and unhooking the wdh, and the elec stab jacks are great simply because DW can lower them while I am doing other set up type things...gets me in my chair with a beer that much sooner.

2011 F250 Lariat FX4
2011 Sunset Trail Reserve 29ss

WandaLust2

TN

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/12 01:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have the electric awning and I don't care for it. It can't be set as we want. When it rains it sags, catches water, then "kneels" and dumps it with a noisy splash at the far end. Since we can't pitch it the sun shines right under it. But we had no choice with is TT.

WandaLust. Retired. Middle TN
Heartland 2011 NorthTrail 28BRS
1993 Ford Dutchman Class-C

stitchinsue

Central Pa

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 08:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

8iron wrote:

Ours TT has all of these things and I wouldn't want it any other way. Our awning can be lower,slanted, tilted or whatever you want. The elec tongue jack is a sweat saver when hooking and unhooking the wdh, and the elec stab jacks are great simply because DW can lower them while I am doing other set up type things...gets me in my chair with a beer that much sooner.

X2

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Electric items...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS