RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Electric items...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Electric items...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
JoyceandSteve

Houston, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/12 07:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

8iron wrote:

Ours TT has all of these things and I wouldn't want it any other way. Our awning can be lower,slanted, tilted or whatever you want. The elec tongue jack is a sweat saver when hooking and unhooking the wdh, and the elec stab jacks are great simply because DW can lower them while I am doing other set up type things...gets me in my chair with a beer that much sooner.

Same here, but I don't wait to sit down to have the beer. With all electric I can hold the beer in one hand and the power switch with the other. On the serious side, I was hesitant to have everthing power but now wouldn't do it any other way.

Steve & Joyce
2011 Chevrolet 2500 Z71 4X4
2013 Montana High Country 343 RL
1996 Celebrity 200 Boat
2000 Yamaha 1200 LTD Waverunner
2012 Ford Mustang GT (Mama's ride)
Vítejte na víkend doma a Steve Joyce

tmprkswyo

Southwest Wyoming

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 01:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The electric tounge jack I wouldn't be without. Perosonally I wouldn't give you a nickel for a truckload of electric awnings. I had to special order my trailer to get a manual awning. My electric stabilizer jacks are operated via 18 volt cordless drill.

dtzackus

Cumbola, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/11/12 06:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We can all agree that craftsmenship isn't the best on these campers, anything electric normally tends to break. I would prefer manual, since it typically holds up better, less things to go wrong. I saw a fellow RV'er have a problem with his electric awning and had to bungee cord it for the way home.

Dan, Tammy, Cory, Leah and Adam
2011 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 6.0
2012 Conquest 297DBS
Equal-i-zer Hitch
GM Integrated Trailer Brake Controller

covenantbro

Orlando, Fl

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/12 05:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't have the electric awning nor levelers, however, it would be nice. I do have the electric tongue and love it. It definitely makes hitching and unhitching much easier and less sweating.

8iron

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 02:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tmprkswyo wrote:

The electric tounge jack I wouldn't be without. Perosonally I wouldn't give you a nickel for a truckload of electric awnings. I had to special order my trailer to get a manual awning. My electric stabilizer jacks are operated via 18 volt cordless drill.

To each his own...there is no right or wrong but why don't you care for elec. awnings?

2014 F350 Lariat
2011 Sunset Trail Reserve 29ss

tmprkswyo

Southwest Wyoming

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 05:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

8iron wrote:

tmprkswyo wrote:

To each his own...there is no right or wrong but why don't you care for elec. awnings?

I live in an area that is very, very windy. The manual awning gives me the ability to firmly stake/tie it down. I also like the ability of being able to adjust to suit my needs. To me deploying or storing the awning is not a big deal, probably 5 minutes including the deflappers. The manual awnings just seem much sturdier in my opinion. I had a electric awning once and hated it.

USMarine0369

Bozeman

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/12/12 02:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't mind the manual tongue jack. I've never had a power awning so I can't say. I use my cordless for the scissor jacks, but it would be nice if I could unhook it from the truck, press a button and the camper levels itself :-).

DE88ROX

West Michigan. The other West Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/12/12 04:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dtzackus wrote:

We are upgrading to a 30 foot bunk house unit, call me old school (only 38 years old), but I like a manual awning. I like the aspect of the ability of leaning them down while you leave and more importantly when it rains, you can tilt it to one side. Electric jacks on all four corners, are painfully hard to watch go up or down since they are so slow. Electric Tongue Jack, haven't seen them work, but heard they are painfully slow as well.

Are we really getting that lazy that we need these electric devices? Before you think I am off my rocker, I do like the electric fridge, microwave and a/c..

Dan

Like you I prefer a manual awning. Although the power ones have automatic tilting feature, I just dont trust them. I also dont like having to worry if the motor will quit. Just like the power tongue jacks. Ive read a lot of reviews on those and found that they tend to have a lot of issues. But also, after rreading those reviews, if I were to get one, it seems that barker is the way to go. I know both the awning and tongue motors have manual bypass in case of motor failure, its just one less thing I have to worry about going wrong on a camping trip and one more thing have fix if and when they break. As far as the stabilizing jacks, I just use my 18v cordless to run them down and get them snug.

TV- 2010 GMC Sierra Z71 EXT. cab
TT- 2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge235fb

DE88ROX

West Michigan. The other West Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/12/12 04:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

USMarine0369 wrote:

I don't mind the manual tongue jack. I've never had a power awning so I can't say. I use my cordless for the scissor jacks, but it would be nice if I could unhook it from the truck, press a button and the camper levels itself :-).

Ive seen set ups where people use the cordless to run donw the tongue jack as well. Not sure what kind of retro fitting is involved but it has me going "hmmmmmmmmm"

stitchinsue

Central Pa

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/12 04:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a remote that powers the awning, jack, stabilizers and slide. It's a tough camping life these days.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Electric items...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS