|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Locked In... Be honest

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 14  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 11:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Locked entry gate.....no problem as long as there is an exit with tire shredders.

Locked entry/exit gate.......no problem as long as every one is given code/key/combination so ingress/egress is not prevented.

Locked entry/exist gate with no ingress/egress........NO NO.....I'm down the road.
Medical Emergencies
Fire Safety Concerns
Infringement of legal/lawful right to come/go
Unreasonable Confinement w/o consent
Medical Emergencies

paulm999

Pala, California

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/12 04:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm familar with the place. What's needed is night security, but not in the budget, and probably will never be. Hard to get someone reliable that will be a bouncer for the community's spoiled alcoholic teens and 20-somethings that turn a campground into a rave event. What happens is one 18-21yo female gets a campsite, then starts a text tree. Later 10s to 100s of kids are in and out all night drunk driving shuttling others in and out and every camper within a 1/2 mile is calling the sheriff about the noise. Since these parties are usually Fri and Sat nights, due to priority calls, by the time the sheriff duputies get there at 4am, most have left and it takes until 6am to process who's left. Gate codes/keys won't work since the original site renter makes sure the gate is kept open. Tire shedders won't work since plywood renders them useless. Sheriff and fire has a key to the gate, but I also would never stay in a place that locks you in at night. It's a warning that it is not a safe and pleasant place to visit, much less stay overnight. BTW, the gangs from Hemet use this place to "rest and relax."

Handbasket

Asheville, NC

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/12 04:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Locked gate with no way out short of waking someone.... me not staying there, at least knowingly. I have a habit of getting up quite early to drive into my destination city, so I can find a level parking space near whatever I'm there to see. Then I shower, maybe take a nap, and fix breakfast. With coffee cup in hand, I enjoy watching a city or small town wake up. Locked gates are yet another reason why I usually choose to stay in rest areas or truck stops.

Jim, "Mo' coffee!"

'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

jetenbu

Southeast Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/12 04:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

steelpony5555 wrote:

As long as I have my tow chain in the truck I am never locked in or out. I'll just have to buy a gate..lol

I am shocked anyone would put up with this. Folks, this is America. Lock me up in any fashion you are subject to my destroying your property to get out should I choose to.

Unless you are the police, don't even think about it! I have the right to be free to come and go and I will exercise it no matter what. Lock me in and you are violating my rights. Definitely not acceptable.

I served in the military so I and everyone in this country would not be exposed to something like this and there is no way I will tolerate it for any reason.

If you want to try it, be prepared to deal with my wrath. Enough said? If you do not believe me, just try it and you will see.

I do not need local leo's to tell me this is not right.

Jim

RV: 2012 Montana 3625RE Quad Slide SKP#108921
TV: 2004.5 Dodge Dually 3500 HD
Favorite Quote: ''Life's tough, pilgrim, and it's even tougher if you're stupid.''-- John Wayne

Warning: THIS RIG PROTECTED BY SMITH AND WESSON!

U.S. Navy Vietnam Vet 1967-1968

RL Miller

Roaming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/12 05:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

North Carolina state parks close at 9 PM and reopens at 8 AM in the summer but close at 6 PM in the winter and are locked with no entry or exit. Now I think if there is an emergency you can get a host to open it for you. Heck the kids don't get off work until 5:30 and you have to be back at 6:00. We only stay in the summer but the next closest campground is 30 miles away. ( Jordan Lake State CG )

Poorloser

Homer

Northeast Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/12 06:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can't imagine what kind of mind it takes to come up with ridiculous rules like the one you describe. A rolling code system is just as secure and doesn't punish the campground guest. I hope you post this on RVcampground Reviews.

YamaDooed

Northern Illnoise

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/12 06:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the local Fire Dept doesnt have a Knox box setup they will definately have a set of bolt cutters on the rig as its part of their job to get into locked buildings/ cars without keys...
I prefer the locked gate over the cruise in all times of the night and set up a complete camp at 2-3 in the morning with headlights blazing and thousand door slams...

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/12 06:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It would not be a deal breaker for me. But a simple 4 digit style combination lock would be an inexpensive low tech solution to the problem. It would be simple enough to give out combo at check in and change locks weekly

07'Duramax dually,12'Open Range 399BHS
Hawkshead TPMS,Hensley BD3,K-Bee exhaust brake
Blue Ox Bedsaver,air bags,Garmin RV760 w/BC20 camera
Arvika bike rack,Bak-Flip G2
5500 Onan LP,Progressive surge,keyless RV Lock
Porta Bote w/8.0 Nissan
Vu Cube,Splendide WD

Twomed

FL winters and then somewhere cool

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/12 06:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tow stap in the Hummer...no problem in an emergency. We have encountered this situation in several smaller GA stste parks and smaller COE parks. Just like rules at any other park, it works for them, I have the option to stay or go.

To run around rasing heck about their rules seems kinda' rude to me, must be my Southern rasied thing. JMHO...but if you travel much and stay in out of the way places you will find this situation from time to time.

Happy Trails
06 Monaco Dynasty
07 Hummer H3
FMCA 279843

03Ultra

Central Massachusetts

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/12 07:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A campground surrounded by a fence with razor-wire over the top and a locked gate seems like it might not be in an area where I want to be.

There are effective ways to stop a party at a site. First is to post a guard who takes the ID of every person, $5.00 fee and registration information for every car, and two non-refundable dollars for every guest that comes through the gate after 9:00 PM if they are not the registered guest for the site.

2004 Itasca 36M Workhorse

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 14  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Locked In... Be honest
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS