|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Locked In... Be honest

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 14  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Lady Fitzgerald

Tempe, AZ, USA, Earth

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/12 09:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FunnyCamper wrote:

Don & Linda wrote:

mowermech wrote:

What was it Ben Franklin said?
Something about "Those who are willing to give up freedom for security will ultimately have neither!"
Or something like that...
Seems to me it applies here to a large degree!

x2

I'm amazed how many folk, want to locked in, or think it's ok ????????

X3

X4

Jeannie

sandersmr

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/12 09:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Every state park I've stayed in in Texas has locked gates but has the code printed on the receipt in the event of me needing to come and go after hours, the same receipt that must be taped to the windshield of my vehicle. And I never have had need to use that number knock on wood.

Maggie

Sportsmen Classic 16BH
2002 F150 Supercrew 4.6 L V8

gijoecam

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/12 09:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've stayed at parks lots of times where the entrance was locked after XX:00PM. I have no problem with that, especially when it's a private campground. Their house, their rules. However, under no circumstances do I find it acceptable to prevent me from leaving in any way, shape or form. I have not and will not ever stay in a campground that locks me in at night. Should the need arise, be it a medical emergency or a family emergency, I reserve the right to pack up and leave whenever the urge hits me, plain and simple. I'm not going hunting for a host or ranger, I'm leaving.

Now, sometimes it may be for that midnight or 1AM beer run... It's my choice, and I do so knowing I'll be parking in the visitor lot outside the gate. I'm 100% OK with that. You may be one of those people who plans to not leave... But as the saying goes, spit happens. What happens if you trip and fall into the fire pit? What if you accidentally grab a hot pot and burn yourself severely? Twist an ankle on an unseen root or tent stake? Someone calls and tells you your grandmother passed away and you need to get home now. Stuff happens despite our best-laid plans, and that stuff may require that you leave the campground unexpectedly in the wee hours of the morning. Sometimes you can wait a few minutes for someone to open the gate.... sometimes you can't.

welltraveled

Stockbridge

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/12 09:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After hearing all these protests for locked gates I can rest easy knowing every COE park I have ever stayed will be wide open now. Every one in Georgia and all Georgia Power campgrounds have a closing time(with locked gates). Best understand where the Park Host stays and tell them they will be awakened if need be and be willing to walk to your camper if you come home late.

Brent and Gina

Arkansas

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/12 10:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I tend to want an unsecure park at all times, but I can understand and accept those that want to lock their park. Here's what I require: 1. You had better tell me up front before I secure accommodation by any means I secure it--web, in-person, or phone. 2. You better have a reasonable exit plan option for me and explain that as well. Besides my own emergency, I might have a family emergency/situation where I'll need to leave immediately. After that, I can make a decision to move on to another park or stay.

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/12 10:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Y'know, it appears to me to be very similar to a HomeOwner's Association (HOA) and Covenants, Codes, and Restrictions (CCRs) tied to land deeds.
Some swear by them, some swear at them.
I wonder, do those who WANT to be locked in in the name of "security" also WANT to live where there is an HOA and severely restrictive CCRs?
As you might guess from my posts on this thread, I purchased my property partly because there is no HOA and less than half a page of CCRs. IMO, such things reduce the value of property, just as a locked gate reduces the value of a campground!
Many years ago, I took an oath to defend the Constitution of The United States of America. I have reaffirmed that oath many times since then. I refuse to give anybody the right to lock me up! IMO, it is UNConstitutional to do so!

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Toad 1: '06 PT Cruiser, Kar Kaddy dolly
Toy (and Toad 2): 2001 Dodge QC SWB, 360 Magnum, Auto, 4X4
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Jarlaxle

New England

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/12 10:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I refuse to be locked in. Then again...i have a 3' crowbar, a tow strap, and Liz's Blazer has a big brushguard. The gate might be locked...but it will NOT stop me!

John and Elizabeth (Liz), with 3 nutty cats
My beloved St. Bernard, Marm, lost him 1/2/12
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

jeremy0011

Fuquay Varina NC

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/12 11:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think some of you are a bit paranoid. I’m talking about destination campgrounds, campgrounds that are the attraction, a place that you go to disconnect and get away from it all. I’m not talking about long term campgrounds that you stay at to be close to work or family. At a destination campground unless it’s an emergency there is no reason you should be disturbing your neighbors after hours. If you feel that you can’t stay in one place over night and be quiet, this type of camping is probably not for you. Driving in and out of the campground is disturbing everyone around you. NC’s Jordan Lake state park is on a 13900 acre lake and has close to 1100 camp sites. I can tell you that all of the best sites are occupied every weekend during the camping season. I’m glad so many of you refuse to camp here and save the best sites for me and my fellow respectful campers. My advice to you is to slow down, enjoy life, and don’t sweat the small stuff. There are several beautiful campgrounds that have the same locked gate policy; it’s not a big deal in an emergency you can get out. IMO you will be sorry if you let this stop you from enjoying some of the best camping in America.

I don’t and won’t live in a HOA. I do believe in live free or die. And I do believe in respecting all your neighbors while camping. They paid good money to get out and enjoy nature and that should not be disturbed by your 1am beer run. Like I said you can get out if needed.

2012 Keystone Outback 312BH with ProPride Hitch
2006 Chevy 2500 Duramax CC MaxBrake

paulcardoza

Southeastern Massachusetts

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/12 12:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Honestly...... If DW or I were to have chest pains in the middle of the night, I wouldn't care who I was disturbing. I'd want an available exit to the nearest ER with no delays! If that makes me paranoid, then so be it........

jeremy0011 wrote:

I think some of you are a bit paranoid. I’m talking about destination campgrounds, campgrounds that are the attraction, a place that you go to disconnect and get away from it all. I’m not talking about long term campgrounds that you stay at to be close to work or family. At a destination campground unless it’s an emergency there is no reason you should be disturbing your neighbors after hours. If you feel that you can’t stay in one place over night and be quiet, this type of camping is probably not for you. Driving in and out of the campground is disturbing everyone around you. NC’s Jordan Lake state park is on a 13900 acre lake and has close to 1100 camp sites. I can tell you that all of the best sites are occupied every weekend during the camping season. I’m glad so many of you refuse to camp here and save the best sites for me and my fellow respectful campers. My advice to you is to slow down, enjoy life, and don’t sweat the small stuff. There are several beautiful campgrounds that have the same locked gate policy; it’s not a big deal in an emergency you can get out. IMO you will be sorry if you let this stop you from enjoying some of the best camping in America.

I don’t and won’t live in a HOA. I do believe in live free or die. And I do believe in respecting all your neighbors while camping. They paid good money to get out and enjoy nature and that should not be disturbed by your 1am beer run. Like I said you can get out if needed.

Paul & Sandra
New Bedford, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

rbs62

tn

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/12 12:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

years ago we camped in a campground in south ga didnot knoow about the gate thing got ther about 1030 stayed in th pop up till morning in the road at the gate no other cg in area i think it was a state park cg.black flies and deer were bad too

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 14  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Locked In... Be honest
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS