|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> JERKY TOWING PROBLEM

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
mapguy

Puget Sound

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 01:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No giving us much to work from. A side profile picture of the truck trailer hitched up would be worth a thousand dart board guesses on the root problem.

Towing set up -IE level trailer frame allows the trailer suspension to use the full range of travel. Very important -as porpoising and chucking are greatly accented by a nose high trailer. Nose high trailer compresses rear axle and unloads front axle. Compressed rear axle directly affects ride quality of the trailer. Your GM dealer probably won't coralate this issue either as they will be focused on issues within your truck.

IMO all trailers should have some type of dampening system between the tires and frame. Either shock absorbers or cushioned equalizers. Without these items all roadway related shocks are transmitted to the truck via the coupling (hitch)system.

mobilcastle

OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/12 03:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mapguy wrote:

No giving us much to work from. A side profile picture of the truck trailer hitched up would be worth a thousand dart board guesses on the root problem.

Towing set up -IE level trailer frame allows the trailer suspension to use the full range of travel. Very important -as porpoising and chucking are greatly accented by a nose high trailer. Nose high trailer compresses rear axle and unloads front axle. Compressed rear axle directly affects ride quality of the trailer. Your GM dealer probably won't coralate this issue either as they will be focused on issues within your truck.

IMO all trailers should have some type of dampening system between the tires and frame. Either shock absorbers or cushioned equalizers. Without these items all roadway related shocks are transmitted to the truck via the coupling (hitch)system.

I agree. After installing an Equa-Flex suspension on my 5ver along with a Mor/Ryde pin box my chucking has been eliminated. I think this is why there have been some frame problems over the years.IMO

2010 Heartland 3670RL Mor/Ryde PB,dual panes,2-AC,
7000lb axles,G rated LT tires,38' high profile,
2011 Chevy 3500HD,Dually,D/A,LB,EB,4X4,
B&W Companion,GVWR-13,000

the bear II

Torrance CA.

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 03:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anytime I began experiencing chucking, I would put a new layer of grease or Teflon Lube on the Hitch plate. It was kind of counterintuitive because you would expect the grease to make everything more slippery. It has the opposite effect because of fluid dynamics, it creates a suction due to the viscosity of the grease and the pin weight. It kind of acts as a shock asborber to slow down the motion and eliminate the chucking. Wow I don''t know where all that science stuff came from.... I guess I did pay attention in physics.

PAUL1A

WHEELING

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 07:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ok here is some of the info you guys are asking for . my Coleman 5er has a UVW of 7,694 and a GVWR OF 10,560. my 2010chevy silver ado has a trailer wt capacity of 12,156 and a max tongue wt of 3,039 and a GVW of 9,200. it has 410 gears with a 6.0 vortex engine ,with bilsteen shocks on the truck and air bags. the actual scale weights have not yet been returned to me from the dealership yet i will post them when i get them . as for pictures as soon i can get my daughter to show me how how to get them from my phone to the computer i will also make them available . i hope i haven't confused things any worse than they are and appreciate your input and advice thanks much.
paul1

bpounds

Whittier CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/12 08:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PAUL1A wrote:

ok here is some of the info you guys are asking for . my Coleman 5er has a UVW of 7,694 and a GVWR OF 10,560. my 2010chevy silver ado has a trailer wt capacity of 12,156 and a max tongue wt of 3,039 and a GVW of 9,200. it has 410 gears with a 6.0 vortex engine ,with bilsteen shocks on the truck and air bags. the actual scale weights have not yet been returned to me from the dealership yet i will post them when i get them . as for pictures as soon i can get my daughter to show me how how to get them from my phone to the computer i will also make them available . i hope i haven't confused things any worse than they are and appreciate your input and advice thanks much.
paul1

Paul, what we are interested in, is how much weight is sitting on your hitch in the bed of the truck. This is called "pin weight". You need to weigh your truck and trailer to get just that pin weight value. There is a sticky at the top of this forum for weights, and it should explain how to do it, so I won't repeat it here.

Here is why the pin weight value is important. Imagine your truck and trailer hitched up and going down the road. Now imagine that there is zero weight on the truck hitch, and the trailer is just balanced there. I'm sure you can imagine the trailer acting like a teeter-totter as it rolls down the road, because it is equally balanced in front of and behind the axles. To stop the teeter-totter you would want more weight on the hitch end of the trailer. The above is an exaggeration to make a point. Your chucking feeling is from the weight of the trailer bouncing up and down on the hitch, just like the teeter-totter, because it is not heavy enough in the front.

Well, that is one possible reason, and I think the most likely reason. But we won't know until you figure out how much weight is on the pin. We want it to be at least 20% of the total trailer weight.

I hope that helps explain it in simple terms.

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

ol Bombero-JC

USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 10:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Paul -
IMO - the weight of the tractor for the test helped eliminate the chucking,
as well as probably lots more pin weight.

The goose-neck hitch is simply what would be used with a flat-bed trailer for the tractor - (and shouldn't be a consideration).

Does the "dealer" who is helping you also sell trailers -and/or- how/why did you (or he) decide the problem is with your tow vehicle?

Not knowing that part of the equation - the dealer may be really trying to help, but not too "tuned in" on 5th wheel trailers, hitches, etc.

Maybe I missed it - what brand of hitch do you have?

~

Coyotecprs

chicago

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 05:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The gooseneck pull proves it not basic problem with the truck. Is your hitch solid? That seems to common link since you pulled a different 5th wheel and had similiar issues? What kind of hitch do you have?

2005 Dodge Ram 2500, 5.7 Hemi
2007 Jayco Jay Flight 30.5 BHS

PAUL1A

WHEELING

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 06:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

its a pro series 1600 hitch . ile post the pin weight as soon as i get them, but i can tell you this ,when i hitch the 5er the truck bed really drops with weight. and i use the air bags to get it level. paul1

PAUL1A

WHEELING

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 01:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ok fellas my weight numbers are here i am not sure how to interpret them but this is what they say , on 9/11 the first weight is 8170 the second is 980 and the third is 15410 i hope this helps i cant say for sure but i think the 15410 is truck and rv together ,i think that the8170 is the rv and think the 980 is pin weight .maybe you guys can figure it out.
paul1

gmcsmoke

Butler

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/12 01:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

12% pin weight. That's your problem. You need alot more weight on the pin.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> JERKY TOWING PROBLEM
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS