|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> JERKY TOWING PROBLEM

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
the bear II

Torrance CA.

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 02:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have your wife lay in the bed to add weight over the pin.

PAUL1A

WHEELING

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 03:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

trust me she is a tiny woman, but she is all a woman should be, wont quite make it . does this mean that my pin weight is only 980.
paul1

scarceller

Portsmouth, RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/12 03:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So what do you pack in the unit behind the rear axle? GOLD?

You need to relocate your GOLD bars from the rear of the unit up to the front!

RCMAN46

NorthWest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/12 05:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Something does not add up. 980 lbs should not push your 2500 down very much. I am running 2200 lbs pin on a 2500 HD DMAX and it goes down possibly 3-4 inches. I do not have air bags or such and still have several inches before it would contact the stop bumpers. Where is your hitch in relation to the axle. I am guessing it is behind the center line of the axle. I have seen RV dealers do this for reasons unknown. And as asked do you have anything in the bed behind the hitch. If so move it in front of the hitch.
Also 8170 sounds like a very heavy 2500 chev with the 6.0. My HD with the DMAX and all of my tools in a behind cab box, a generator, a second tool box full of tools that I was moving to Yuma ,a cab full of camping gear and a full tank of fuel only goes 8140.
With the numbers you gave your pin should be more like 1800 if you want the trailer to tow good with out chucking.

PAUL1A

WHEELING

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 07:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

as i said i cannot tell you what the weights represent ,i only have the weight slips they gave me i am sure the 15410 has to be the truck and rv ,i think the8170 has to be the rv with the truck hooked up , i only speculate that the 980 is what they say is the pin weight not sure.
paul1

PAUL1A

WHEELING

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 07:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

after looking at the technical specs on the truck i get
curb weight 6044
payload #3156
total# 6394
gross vehicle # rating 9200
gross combined wt rating 18500
5th wheel hitch lbs 3039.

all this is confusing to me as i said i have towed 5th wheels with 1/2 ton and 3/4 tons for many years but this is the first time i have ever experienced this kind of difficulty. the forward compartment behind the pin is ginormous and we have it full packed. however the rear storage area we do carry our canned goods and most everything else .this year we are adding a moryde pin box and rearranging the interior storage . most of the interior storage is in the rear and along the passenger side . i tried to distribute the weight evenly (i thought) because i felt there was too much weight on one side of the rv, i never gave any thought that i may have been overloading the rear . this year i intend to make some changes. my wife brings everything but the kitchen sink.

paul1

Denny & Jami

Home Base Nebraska

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/12 05:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PAUL1A wrote:

as i said i cannot tell you what the weights represent ,i only have the weight slips they gave me i am sure the 15410 has to be the truck and rv ,i think the8170 has to be the rv with the truck hooked up , i only speculate that the 980 is what they say is the pin weight not sure.
paul1

The best way to to find your pin weight is to weigh your truck and them hookup your trailer and weigh just the truck again, the difference is your pin weight. You can pull the truck and trailer on the scales to get a gross weight and then subtract the truck weight to get the gross trailer weight. Until you do that you are just guessing.

If you want to know if it's your truck or trailer find someone else that has a hitch and have them pull your trailer. I will bet that it's the undampened suspension on your trailer and not the truck, a Mor/Ryde pin box will help but you will still have the underlying problem with your trailer suspension.

Denny

Denny

2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 gears Air Lifts
2003 HitchHiker Premier 35FKTG 215/75/17.5 Sumitomo tires

cwit

Upstate New York

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/12 06:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I read this and have to ask how much air are you putting in your air bags. You should need just enough to start picking truck.

mobilcastle

OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/12 11:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cwit wrote:

I read this and have to ask how much air are you putting in your air bags. You should need just enough to start picking truck.

What does this mean?

2010 Heartland 3670RL Mor/Ryde PB,dual panes,2-AC,
7000lb axles,G rated LT tires,38' high profile,
2011 Chevy 3500HD,Dually,D/A,LB,EB,4X4,
B&W Companion,GVWR-13,000

RCMAN46

NorthWest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/12 03:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mobilcastle wrote:

cwit wrote:

What does this mean?

If you have too much air in the bags it will lift the truck so it is just off of the overload springs (secondary spring set). When you are at that point the truck suspension is at it's most unstable condition. I doubt he needs air bags with the trailer he has.

The OP needs to find his root problem before spending money on things like a MorRyde which may not be necessary.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> JERKY TOWING PROBLEM
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS