RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: TC newb, how did i do?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> TC newb, how did i do?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
smoke20

South West, Va

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/12 06:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just got my first camper and a i had a few questions so I found these forums and decided to join.

Now please dont rip me too bad when i tell yall what it is cuz i'm workin on a budget and in the middle of upgrading my truck to match my camper.

Around the first of the year we visted an old friend of my fathers while on a fishing trip to the chesapeake bay anyways long story short was he had an old TC for sale in his driveway and had jus bought a new motorhome. I casually asked him what he wanted for it and he said "I don't know I Can't sell the durn thing I would probably take 500-1000 dollars for it jus to get it oughtta my drive way" so after we got i back i called him and asked if he was serious about that price and he said yes i will sell it to you for $500 so i told him I would take it. at the time I didnt realize just how big she was then when loaded it on my dads truck I thought this thing is too big for my truck, well enough rambling here she is a 96 RL1200 veri lite.

like i said I'm in the middle of upgrading my truck (99 F250, 7.3l Diesel, 2WD, SRW, STD CAB) to accomdate the camper but the price I got this camper at i figured I could spen the money on the truck, I have already put air bags and ranchos on my truck and i'm trying to save up the cash for a drw conversion.

* This post was last edited 03/05/12 07:35am by smoke20 *   View edit history

07 f350 6.0l PSD, K&N intake, 4" turbo back exhaust
99 F250 7.3L PSD, EDGE Evolution w/gauges, Modified Intake&Exhaust, AIR LIFT Load Lifter 5000
79 F250 4X4
96 Veri-Lite RL 1200XL

DianneOK

Donnelly, ID

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/12 07:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

yes, it is certainly large! Enjoy your project!It looks to be in very nice shape.

Dianne (and Terry) (Fulltimed for 9 years)
Donnelly, ID
HAM WB6N (Terry)
2012 Ford F350, diesel, 4x4 SRW, crew cab, longbed
2009 Lance 971 Truck Camper, loaded

Life Member Good Sam
Geocache..."RVcachers"
RV net Blog

Camping, nature's way to feed the mosquitoes

bobndot

NY

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/12 07:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Im not up on trucks specs of all models but sometimes its a better idea to find a good used 350 dually and forget the 250 upgrading process.

seems like a heavy tc

* This post was edited 03/05/12 07:17am by bobndot *

JaredWPhillips

Henryville, IN

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/12 07:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That sucker is huge. Looks like you got a great deal! Hope the truck holds up to the weight

TV: 2001 Chevy Silverado 1500 ext cab 4x4 5.3 V8. GoodYear Wrangler Authority E-Rated tires, FireStone AirBags.
TT: 2007 Keystone Outback 21RS

HJGyswyt

Buckley Washington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/12 07:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very Nice Camper. Veri Lite and Real Lite campers were well made and the price you got it for was a steal. I just love that whole side door entry thing, and having a dry bathroom is a very nice feature. Once you get your truck dialed in to carry that monster you should be very comfortable. Enjoy, there are alot of folks who have spent in the thousands what you have for a few hundred. All the best, Hans

2003 GMC 2500HD CC Longbox SW/2002 Wilcat Bunkhouse 30'
/1987 Western Wildderness 11' Alpine Truck Camper/1971 MacGregor Venture Sailboat

Rig Pictures, click on this link.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

smoke20

South West, Va

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/12 07:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thanks guys, i now u should buy truck/camper together ideally but for this price i couldn't pass it up that is why i will upgrade or buy another truck. the specs on my truck and camper says it should work as is but we all know paper and numbers vs. real world application is two totally different things my truck spec is a curb weight of 4750 or so and the campers data tag say with 30 gal of water and 40 lbs of lp gas it weighs around 3100 those two added together if both these numbers are right which i doubt they are it comes in under the gvwr of my truck which is 8800lbs but i'm sure i'm over rear axle gross rating which is 6000lbs on a 250 i think. i need to CAT scale it

we hauled it over 300 miles on my dads truck (03 F250,4x4,EXT CAB) from the Eastern Shore of Va and it did fine but I know his truck had to be over grossed and it was a lilttle exciting towing that beast across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel being as that was our first trip with it and when I moved it from my dads house to mine (about 30 m iles it handled better on my truck than expected)

in any case i know what i'm up against but like i said for the money I spent on the TC i can afford to make it up over time on the truck

* This post was last edited 03/17/12 07:43am by smoke20 *   View edit history

GratefulOne

Cape Lookout

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/12 08:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Incredible buy! Take your time and find the right rig to tote it. I've been through that tunnel to the Eastern shore towing a boat and it was hairy doing so. I know someone had white knuckles ushering this beast through.

smoke20

South West, Va

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/12 08:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thanks gratefulone, yeah just a month before my dad and I went through the CBBT with his 32ft wildcat 5th wheel and I was towing my 19ft CC Triumph which on a 102" wide trailer makes it very tight passing in the tunnels especialy other campers, boats,& 18 wheelers

I know my truck leaves a lot to be desired but I bought the truck from a company I worked for less than $1000 and I had driven this truck for over ten years and during that time its been a really good truck hardly ever in the shop and well serviced as it belonged to a big name truck leasing company and I was a mechanic for them. so I have a personal connection to this truck and whille some say its stupid to convert a 3/4 ton to a drw i cant buy another truck for for no where near what it cost to convert this one plus I know this truck. I would like to find ton axle setups from a salvage yard and do an axle swap so I would have the larger axle weight rating other wise the arrow craft kits while functional dont increase the weight ratings, plus the truck will always be consider a F250 by DMV and on the title but I could tag her as heavy as I need

sorry for the rant

and thanks again to all

* This post was edited 03/05/12 08:34am by smoke20 *

BobTowne

Fairfield, CA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/12 09:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JaredWPhillips wrote:

That sucker is huge. Looks like you got a great deal! Hope the truck holds up to the weight

It's a very nice looking rig. I, too, hope the truck's up to carrying it.

GreatWhite
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 Quadcab Dually
2004 Alpenlite Santa Fe 1150

spacedoutbob

SF Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/12 09:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great looking camper! Congratulations on getting a Fantastic Deal also, May You and Your Family, Have Many Happy Adventures with your New Camper!

Bob in Calif.

Good Sam Club Life Member

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> TC newb, how did i do?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: